Respected Contributor

Re: AT WHAT AGE DID YOU RETIRE?

I didn't actually retire but quit my job as a real estate appraiser at 48, my boss retired and closed her business and I just didn't look for another job, became super volunteer in the school system.  At 55 I saw an ad in the community paper for tour guides at Mount Vernon, the home of George & Martha Washington.  It was a nice part time job waiting for DH to retire.  DH retired and then we moved to southeastern NC.  We don't live in a retirement community but the majority of the people are retired.  We 're having a ball, we play pickleball, golf, bike, walk, go to the beach, etc.  We've made so many new friends and are always on the go.  I have to keep a calendar to keep track of all our activities.  So far we both have good health and try to stay fit and eat right but you never know as they say.  DH retired at 63 and are lucky that his was able to keep his health insurance through his employer and when he turned 65 it automatically becomes our secondary policy.  We do have a separate dental plan.  We know how blessed we are to have good health, are financially sound and have good, affordable health insurance.  DH always says that he should've retired sooner.  Being able to do what you want when you want or not do anything at all is wonderful!

Respected Contributor

Lindsays grandma.  I loved them dearly. They were the best parents. When I grew up people didn't have as much as today but I was blessed with family. I have a granddaughter named Lindsey. Aren't they the best?

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ   DH and I are self employed, and you mentioned your husbands age...my dh turned 79 last year, goes into the office daily.

It's a semi physical job.  I am 64 as of last year, and I work 3 days a week at our business.  We have no plans to retire....I am afraid he will sit once he quits work and we know the outcome of that type of situation, and honestly he has no desire to retire.....we take it year to year and plan on working thru 2020,

Respected Contributor

55. Very happy. We planned ahead to retire them, had our new lakehouse ready, etc.

Respected Contributor

Retired @ 66 and very happy I did !  Although I just had a knee replacement in September I am living my best life !

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my state if you're a teacher, you can retire after 30 years of service whatever your age, or if you are grandfathered, you can retire at 55, if you have at least 25 years of experience. I chose to retire in my 50's and have never regretted it, but I wouldn't have been able to do so if I hadn't begun investing much earlier. I gave my all for 30 years. I loved that I could move on to other things. I got a business license to sell my hand made jewelry, I got into heritage scrapbooking and genealogy, and my neighbor opened a Stampin Up business where I made beautiful cards. I'm still involved in a lot of crafts. A year ago I met a group of women my age who were interested in starting a Pinochle group. We meet once a week at a town center and have great times playing cards and socializing.  Life is good and I am free to do whatever I choose. Of course, there WAS the major back surgery I was forced to have, but that's in the history book now.

Honored Contributor

At 41, on St. Valentine's day.Heart

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

At 41, on St. Valentine's day.Heart

i dont know how anyone can retire in their 40s or 50s in this economy. I retired at 65.

Esteemed Contributor

I took early retirement at 53 from a school system. When it comes time to leave you walk. I have been retired nearly 20 years, I feel very fortunate to have a  pension, SSA, and great health benefits. 

Respected Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@granddi wrote:

It's complicated, isn't it.

Your health and your spouse health dictate retirement for many.

Others have concerns about health coverage and/or financial.

While others have work burn out or maybe not finding employment fullfilling.

I had the best job I could ever have wanted. I miss people. I miss making important decisons. I miss being asked for my opinion.

Moving nearer to grand children has not afforded us with more family contact. They are very busy and I understand. We moved from our home of 40+ years and all those memories. Our house now is lovely but no real emotional attachment. Think hard before you move from you home.

At what ever age you are, work hard to keep yourself healthy. 

@granddi ...Oh, how familiar that sounds, missing people, miss making decisions, miss being asked for an opinion.  That's me too, and after being away from it since the year 2001 I still miss it.

Me too, all of the above.  I retired in 2005.