Respected Contributor

Re: AT WHAT AGE DID YOU RETIRE?

I went back to work when my youngest was in high school. It was part time. My parents were in their late eighties and early nineties and they needed me. Mid fifties when I retired. Had cardiomyopathy. A very enlarged heart. He said get the papers. I will sign them. Had a pacemaker put in to regulate my heart. This one is my third one. My parents were 95 and 99 when they passed. There was so much to do for them. I honestly don't know how I did it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I walked out at 57, due to my husbands serious health issues, and have never looked back.  

2 weeks after I retired, he was diagnosed with another chronic condition, and every single year there has been a new health issue to juggle.  

My husband is disabled thru the VA, and my health coverage is included under his disability.  

I always had strong skills that kept me working good jobs, but I never wanted “a career”.   At the end of each day I always wanted to be able to walk away and leave the job behind, so when it was time to walk away for good, I did, with no regrets.

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:
For those who retired early, how are you able to get health insurance? Isnt it prohibitively expensive? If it wasn't for health insurance, I'd hand in my resignation in a heartbeat.

Health Insurance is undoubtedly expensive but I saved and budgeted for it when I knew I would be retiring early. I made sure I was able to afford a Platinum or Gold plan by giving up some extra expenses of my daily life. We did not go out to dinner quite as often, I stopped my shop til you drop habit. I no longer needed business clothes and handbags and shoes for every outfit. It really wasn't that hard to save up because it was really important to me to have the best coverage I could. I am blessed to have been able to afford what I needed to in order to live my best life. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Regular Contributor

Trusted Contributor

@bathina wrote:
For those who retired early, how are you able to get health insurance? Isnt it prohibitively expensive? If it wasn't for health insurance, I'd hand in my resignation in a heartbeat.

I had to buy my own health insurance for about 3 years.  It was VERY expensive and went up each year.  My medicare monthly premium is one tenth of what the last year of insurance cost each month.  I did not qualify for any ACA assistance.  Hindsight tells me I should have stayed on my employer's insurance (cobra), but at the time it was more expensive than what I could buy.  A year later it would have been a bargain because of how much mine increased in cost.  It's a tough decision.  

Esteemed Contributor

I retired at 62.  What had been a wonderful job had turned into very high stress.  My DH was employed.  It was time for me to leave.  Within a few weeks, my mother started getting ill.  She needed me, so I would have left my job anyway.  It was a tough two and a half years, as she needed skilled nursing care 24/7 and was hospitalized many times.  It was the least I could do for her.

My DH chose to work until he turned 70.  He liked his job but was finally ready to retire.  We are well into our 70s, living in our original family home.  We have had remodeling done, now cleaning out and painting done, with an eye to potential sale.

But we are lucky to hire help with “heavy lifting,” so we are taking one step at a time.  Our children and two GC live nearby.  Nothing is ever perfect, as we both have had some health issues.  But we can’t complain.  We have been married for 53 years and frankly are enjoying this stage of life.  As a dear “sister friend” - who was widowed several years ago, told me, “Enjoy every day you have together.”  So true.  And always be grateful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bathina wrote:

@bathina   Both my husband  and I are retired. We pay a  total  of  $1000 a month (that is for both of us)....which includes our Medicare and  our supplemental insurance plan ( Premera Blue Cross).

Super Contributor

I retired from teaching at 52. I had planned to work until late 50's but my mother had a stroke and then was diagnosed with breast cancer three weeks later. I had three choices. I could place her in nursing home, hired someone to care for her in my home, or retire. I had in my thirty years and went out. I am not a spendthrift and had money saved. I knew I could live on my pension. Mother couldn't care for herself and her daily needs consumed my life for 4 1/2 years. She passed 18 months ago and I miss her terribly. I have started subbing a couple of days a week to add to my savings. My pension is for life and my health insurance through TRS is doable. I pay $200 a month with a $1500  deductible. I am single w/ no dependents. I don't know if that is good or bad insurance. TRS no longer has different plans for coverage. I don't regret retiring but I do miss my co workers. I am currently dealing with back issues so I am glad that if it's a bad day I don't have to work.

Respected Contributor

Officially, my DH retired at 55 with 32 years of service with the State we live in.  He then went on to be a consultant with another company for several years.  I was done at 50.  Best decisions we ever made.

Esteemed Contributor

@DbinMD ...When I read your post I saw myself all over again with three back surgeries...all failed.  I know exactly what you meant about leg pain which the back was causing.  Long story short, first back surgery was a fusion, quick simple surgery.

A year later back pain, leg pain again, new doctor, new surgery, 10 screws put in my back.  A year after that the pain was back, second surgeon decided to remove the screws.  Nine hours on the operating table, a week and a half in the hospital.  Worst experience I ever had.   Since that last surgery I keep picturing the doctor in his $600 suits, driving  his expensive car while living in his big expensive house that his patients help pay for.  And the sciatica pain and back pain I live with are all reminders of the experience that didn't work.

You may be right in refusing another surgery, and start over again?  Perhaps you should see a new doctor for another opinion, not necessarily for surgery, just for an opinion.   And then to have cancer as well, you sure had a streak of bad luck.  I hope, other than the pain you have, that everything else is running smoothly for you.  Wishing you a very healthy, prosperous and Happy New Year.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam