Respected Contributor

Re: AT WHAT AGE DID YOU RETIRE?

I worked for the federal government just shy of 36 years. Retired at 53 and never regretted it for a moment.

I missed some of the people I worked with, but not the job. For the first 30 years I loved my job. Then things started going downhill. The last 5 years it was nothing but stress and aggravation. 

I'm thankful that I was able to retire while I was still young and had my health. Best decision I ever made!!

Frequent Contributor

@crawford5153 wrote:

I never retired but I left my job at 45 so I could spend more quality time with my Mom. I never regretted doing so and now I know I did all I could for my lovely Mother. 

@Kachina624 wrote:

I retired in my mid 50s, mostly due to the political climate in my state at the time, something which had never before affected my career of 30+ years.

It enabled me to have a nice long retirement, although I'm now very bored.  I can't do much due to some physical limitations and my small family is 1800 miles away so I'm pretty much alone.

No, I'm not sorry I retired.  I felt I had no choice and my elderly patents, now deceased, needed my help.

I also left my job at age 45 to take care of my husband who had suffered paralysis from an auto accident. Fortunately, I was working for the Federal Gov't and had put in more than 21 yrs at that point so I did qualify for Federal retirement.

My husband was already retired (also Fed) so were ok financially.

If I may add a side note here. I know financial advisors usually tell folks to not pay off their homes early if they have a good rate but we were glad we didn't take this advice. We paid off our place as soon as we could. If we still had a mortgage I wouldn't have been able to quit my job. 

It's funny how sometimes the decisions one makes in life works out for the unforseeable future. 

Respected Contributor

I retired at 61 to help my elderly parents. My biggest concern was healthcare but since the ACA had been instituted I thought I’d be safe in not having to worry about being denied coverage. While I was still on Cobra there was a possibility that the ACA might be discontinued. What a stressful time in my life that was! I worried that I’d made the wrong decision by leaving my job which had always provided great insurance. Anyway, I made it to Medicare finally! Whew!

I like being retired however I’m still busy. My dad’s in a nursing home but I take him out at least 2 times a week and to mass on the weekend. My brother has recently needed my help after his recent surgery. I help my son’s gf by giving rides to her kids when needed. And I have animals to care for. 

Super Contributor

What a fabulous question! It is so interesting reading everyone's answers. Educational too. Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

@Pandalady wrote:

I am 50 and this is my 27th year of teaching.  I plan to retire at 30 years at 53.   Just praying that my lungs will hold on for 3 more years.  At 34, I was diagnosed with lung dsease and placed on part time supplemental oxygen 3 years later.  My lungs are stable now but between a hard time breathing at times and the changes that my chosen career path have taken in recent years, it will be time for me to go. 

I do hope to retire at full 30 years so I can  either work in the public library system part time or possibly being a sub a couple of days a week.  Working with chilren makes me happy still and I know that it will continue to do so as long as I can!

@Pandalady ...I'll keep sending prayers and good thoughts your way so that everything you planned works for you.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

I retired at 61 to help my elderly parents. My biggest concern was healthcare but since the ACA had been instituted I thought I’d be safe in not having to worry about being denied coverage. While I was still on Cobra there was a possibility that the ACA might be discontinued. What a stressful time in my life that was! I worried that I’d made the wrong decision by leaving my job which had always provided great insurance. Anyway, I made it to Medicare finally! Whew!

I like being retired however I’m still busy. My dad’s in a nursing home but I take him out at least 2 times a week and to mass on the weekend. My brother has recently needed my help after his recent surgery. I help my son’s gf by giving rides to her kids when needed. And I have animals to care for. 

@Kalli ...You are truly a wonderful, unselfish woman for giving your time to help so many people.   God Bless You.  Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I retired when I was 55.  I loved my job, but changes at work made it impossible to not be stressed.  I would get up every morning and dread going to work.  The work environment was horrible and many of my coworkers were out 30 days at a time for mental stress. Some quit and many were fired because they were calling off sick way too often.

One Sunday night I decided I had enough.  So, on Monday morning I went to work and handed in my resignation and walked out.  I had a couple of weeks vacation time, so I took vacation right there and then.  That gave HR time to process my retirement request.

I never regretted it.  

I am also hair stylist and own my own salon.  Many years ago, I hired a manager and I went to work in health insurance.  I still own the shop, so I have income to fall back on.  I have had to hire new managers over the years. It is difficult to find a stylist with a manager or teacher license which is required, but it has been profitable.

I love my low stress life now.

@Carmie ...Good for you Carmie, keeping the hair salon was probably the best decision you ever made.  Yes, it has it's own headaches, but still well worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

@frankenfinch wrote:

@crawford5153 wrote:

I never retired but I left my job at 45 so I could spend more quality time with my Mom. I never regretted doing so and now I know I did all I could for my lovely Mother. 

@Kachina624 wrote:

I retired in my mid 50s, mostly due to the political climate in my state at the time, something which had never before affected my career of 30+ years.

It enabled me to have a nice long retirement, although I'm now very bored.  I can't do much due to some physical limitations and my small family is 1800 miles away so I'm pretty much alone.

No, I'm not sorry I retired.  I felt I had no choice and my elderly patents, now deceased, needed my help.

I also left my job at age 45 to take care of my husband who had suffered paralysis from an auto accident. Fortunately, I was working for the Federal Gov't and had put in more than 21 yrs at that point so I did qualify for Federal retirement.

My husband was already retired (also Fed) so were ok financially.

If I may add a side note here. I know financial advisors usually tell folks to not pay off their homes early if they have a good rate but we were glad we didn't take this advice. We paid off our place as soon as we could. If we still had a mortgage I wouldn't have been able to quit my job. 

It's funny how sometimes the decisions one makes in life works out for the unforseeable future. 

@frankenfinch ...That's why the saying, "Your gut feeling is your guardian angel, follow it."  What others tell you isn't always the best advice to follow.

Honored Contributor

DH and I both retired on the same day aged 62 four years ago next month.

We volunteer for several functions at church and have started taking bus trips.  

Some days we do nothing except lounge in pjs and binge watch ID but lately bowl games.

It helps to be married to your best friend and have several activities in common.  

Respected Contributor

I retired in my mid 40's and couldn't be happier with my decision. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~