Esteemed Contributor

Re: AT WHAT AGE DID YOU RETIRE?

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I retired 5 months after my 64th birthday.  I was burned out and tired of the daily grind.  I liked my co-workers but I got handed family law instead of real estate that I had done for decades.  I hated  divorce and custody.  The figthing and seeing kids being in the middle was depressing.

Five weeks after I retired my DH, who had retired in 2011, was diagnosed with Stage 3 rectal cancer.  He also had prostate cancer.  It hadn't spread, it 2 separate cancers.  I would have had to quit anyyway to help him.  He had chemo and radiation, then surgery. Hormone shots took care of the prostate.  He then developed a staph infection after an 8 hr. surgery. The infection caused delirium.  It took a long time for him be be "him" again.

He  no sooner recovered and was doing well, then I had a small stroke, developed high blood pressure, then I needed a hip replacement.

He died in May of 2019 of something totally unrelated to his cancer.  All of his scans were good.

I just had a knee replaced and found out I am pre-diabetic.

All in all retirement has suxed.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 ...I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am that life was so hard for you and your husband for so  many years.  Illness certainly can throw people's lives upside down.  Hopefully this new year will be a whole lot better for you.  God Bless.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Catiele wrote:

Lindsays grandma.  I loved them dearly. They were the best parents. When I grew up people didn't have as much as today but I was blessed with family. I have a granddaughter named Lindsey. Aren't they the best?

@Catiele ...I too was blessed with family, my sister and I were so lucky to have a mother and father who gave us the best lives two children could have.  As for Lindsay, yes, the best, not only is she smart, she never fails to amaze me with how witty she is, she fills my life with laughter.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@DbinMD wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma 

Thank you..I sure hope that this year is a good one.  We can always use one of them..I am sorry about your bad experiences with back surgery. May I ask you what the reason was that they took out the screws? And did that help your pain at all? I am curious because I have never heard of that before.

@DbinMD After the first back surgery failed I went to a highly recommended orthopedic doctor who performed the second surgery who put in the ten screws.  When the leg and back pain started to come back a year later, it was his decision to remove the screws.  Of course not being a doctor what did I know?  I simply went along with his decision which was a big mistake.  Other doctor's voiced their opinion, saw no reason for it.  

Respected Contributor

I retired the month after I turned 65.  I had to wait until I was eligible for Medicare before I could retire.  It's been a few years and I feel fortunate to have a comfortable income and good health care. 

Trusted Contributor

Great topic!  Your stories are so interesting.

I retired in June, 2018, at age 64.  

I worked 30 years in the corporate world.  We had a major re-org and the announcement was made on my 30th anniversary that we would be out of a job within 6 months.  I was 49 at the time and way too young to retire.

So I took a year off (thank you severance) and then took another 8 months off to "find" myself.  In the meantime, I worked 2 part time jobs so I could look for a full time job.  I had no medical insurance during that time as COBRA was as much as my rent.  Either/or.  

My "second" career was in the school system.  I was hired as Secretary to the Principal and worked in that job for 12 years.  Thanks to our contract, we could retire after 10 years; I was also CSEA President for my group.  

My original plan was to retire at 62 & start collecting SS.  I loved my job so decided to stay on.  But in the 2017-2018 school year, my boss, who I had a great working relationship with, moved on and a man-child was hired as the new principal.  As soon as I shook his baby hand, I went home and wrote my retirement letter.  I had to give 6 months notice to get my sick days paid out (199 days) so I made June 30, 2018 my last day.

I wasn't ready - mentally or financially.  But I disliked the way this man-child undid all the good that had been done by the previous principal.  I had to leave.  I was able to retire with medical benefits and collect my pension.  Really lucked out working for the state.

I was lucky to become a clerical sub in the 2018-2019 school year in 2 separate school districts and except for the month of January, I worked into August, a week before I moved out of NY.

I am now subbing in my local school district.  I work 2 or 3 days per week.  I'm actually a teacher's aide at a school for autistic children.  Wow - heartbreaking at times, but love it.

I am lucky to have 2 pensions and began collecting my SS at age 64.  So far okay.  I like not running out of the house at 7a.  I like making my latte while watching the 3rd hour of Today ... and letting my hair curl on it's own on those days I'm not working.  I don't even consider it working.  I also just began volunteering at our local library.

Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

Great question!

I have one more day to work (Jan 7) and I'm done!  I am 64 and 3 months.  I am over the moon about it - been in banking for 30+ years and insurance for 10 years.  The work world is a different animal than it was years ago.  Plus even though I don't look old, my hands hurt in the a.m. and I feel ready to go home by 4 pm.  I've worked FT for 46 years and it's time for me Smiley Happy.    Hubby retired two days ago so now it's on to the next chapter!

I am a people person and this will be an adjustment but I can always volunteer if I need some people time.  

Best to everyone in 2020!

Esteemed Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

I worked 30 years in the corporate world.  We had a major re-org and the announcement was made on my 30th anniversary that we would be out of a job within 6 months.  I was 49 at the time and way too young to retire.

So I took a year off (thank you severance) and then took another 8 months off to "find" myself.  In the meantime, I worked 2 part time jobs so I could look for a full time job.  I had no medical insurance during that time as COBRA was as much as my rent.  Either/or.  

My "second" career was in the school system.  I was hired as Secretary to the Principal and worked in that job for 12 years.  Thanks to our contract, we could retire after 10 years; I was also CSEA President for my group.  

My original plan was to retire at 62 & start collecting SS.  I loved my job so decided to stay on.  But in the 2017-2018 school year, my boss, who I had a great working relationship with, moved on and a man-child was hired as the new principal.  As soon as I shook his baby hand, I went home and wrote my retirement letter.  I had to give 6 months notice to get my sick days paid out (199 days) so I made June 30, 2018 my last day.

I wasn't ready - mentally or financially.  But I disliked the way this man-child undid all the good that had been done by the previous principal.  I had to leave.  I was able to retire with medical benefits and collect my pension.  Really lucked out working for the state.

I was lucky to become a clerical sub in the 2018-2019 school year in 2 separate school districts and except for the month of January, I worked into August, a week before I moved out of NY.

I am now subbing in my local school district.  I work 2 or 3 days per week.  I'm actually a teacher's aide at a school for autistic children.  Wow - heartbreaking at times, but love it.

I am lucky to have 2 pensions and began collecting my SS at age 64.  So far okay.  I like not running out of the house at 7a.  I like making my latte while watching the 3rd hour of Today ... and letting my hair curl on it's own on those days I'm not working.  I don't even consider it working.  I also just began volunteering at our local library.

Woman Happy

@roeroe1005    Great story, thanks for sharing it.  It appears that everything fell into place for you along with decisions you made.  Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

Woman Happy

You made me laugh out loud when you said man-child!  Hilarious!  I am surrounded by them - they're nice but I'm so glad I am down to my last day!  

Trusted Contributor

@tarsmom,

Good luck to you!  Enjoy every minute.

This guy acted like an eighth grade boy.  From what I hear, he still does.  I made the right decision.

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma 

I retired from my 33 years as a factory worker for Western Electric/AT&T when I was 52. Never looked back, have no regrets, and I have never been bored. I had/have many things to keep me as busy as I choose, and at any given time. What's not to love?

hckynut

hckynut(john)