Esteemed Contributor

At what age did you retire and were you glad you did, or sorry?  I was the Property Manager with Warner Bros Studios in Burbank, CA and planned to retire when I was 75.  I loved my job, however, due to my failed back surgeries which left me with chronic pain, I had no choice but to retire when I was six months short of 70.

I am not the type of person who can be idle, I enjoy being busy and believe me, with that job, I was always busy.  I loved the interaction with people, making decisions and  solving problems, so you can imagine how unhappy I was when suddenly I found myself with nothing to do.  I missed that job for a very long time.  So, how about you?  Was the decision to retire a good one, or not?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: AT WHAT AGE DID YOU RETIRE?

[ Edited ]

I retired in my mid 50s, mostly due to the political climate in my state at the time, something which had never before affected my career of 30+ years.

It enabled me to have a nice long retirement, although I'm now very bored.  I can't do much due to some physical limitations and my small family is 1800 miles away so I'm pretty much alone.

No, I'm not sorry I retired.  I felt I had no choice and my elderly patents, now deceased, needed my help.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I retired at 62. I worked about 45 years. Enough for me. I wanted to do whatever I wanted to do or do nothing at all. Happy that I did as the last job I had and retired from went out of business a few years later. Although I see they seem to be coming back. 

Honored Contributor

I retired 3 months shy of 62. It was time, however I was persuaded to work per diem I did this for 4 years, just working when they needed coverage. I finally retired completely, and never regretted it. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

49 and regret every minute...loved my job.  But, spouse convinced me to take retirement (I had the 25 years for full pension) so we could relocate to "paradise" -- 11 years later I'm still waiting for those "paradise" moments!

I considered returning to workforce but salary structure low here.

Respected Contributor

Still working in retail at age 72.  Honestly, it's getting harder and harder.  More aches and pains every day!  A good example of the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. 

Honored Contributor

I retired at 54 I had already been working at my job 35 years and had just had it. I did have my job on the farm so I never really retired. I didn't draw a pension from my job until I was 65 any way, but took social security at 62.

Respected Contributor

Still working. I would love to retire, but I just can't place the burden and worry of providing health care coverage on my husband. If I quit working and he ever lost his job, we'd have no insurace. I can't take that chance or put that responsibility on him. I did quit traveling for work, though, and now work every day at home. What a relief that is.

Respected Contributor

The first time at 63.   18 months later I was bored stiff so set out to find a part time job.  I found 3 and was working 44 hours a week.   I droppped one six months later, the second 4 years later and stayed at #3 until June 2018 when I fully retired.   

I love retirement.  We moved 1/2 way across the country and I couldn't be happier.

Esteemed Contributor

I had three major careers but they were all under the DoD (Federal government).  I retired right after I turned 63 (DH retired concurrently when he has 56 with serious health issues).  It was the right move for me/us.  We moved from CA to AZ and have travelled all over the world and two brands came shortly after retirement.