Respected Contributor

My daughter would like a pair of wireless Apple airpods (newest version) for Christmas.  I've been trying to research as best as I can and I'm so confused.  When I shop at a site, for example Walmart, there will be a pair that says the newest version which is a little more money, of course and then another pair for less.  However, all the features are the same.  I was thinking the newest version has the "Hey Siri" mechanisim to it, but the other one does too.  I'm not tech savvy and really want to surprise her because she works so hard and does well in school.  Can anyone help me, please.

Honored Contributor

Go to Apple.com and type in newest or most recent.

They list all of them and that way you see direct from the company which is the latest and all of the features.

My family (especially my grandchildren) only want the latest...ummm...I'm like that too even though I can't ever work anything.

So, go there and see what the 'say' is the latest and read up about each one.

Often there isn't a lot of difference.  The good thing about apple is often when they upgrade if possible you can see the difference.

I still have an iphone 6 and I love it.  Normally I want the latest of everything.  But I've read up and since I take terrible pictures and it doesn't matter that's the main difference in the new phones.

So, finally, go there and read and check them out.  There might not be a lot of differences.  I know people who have them.  Some like them and some don't.  My daughter and son-in-law are in the tech business and they don't like them.

My teenage grandkids won't let me give them to them because they say it's too easy to loose them.  They are 14, 15, 13 and 17 years old.  None of them want them.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: APPLE AIRPODS??

[ Edited ]

https://www.apple.com/shop/select-airpods?afid=p238%7CsMbtdPmrt-dc_mtid_20925e1t39169_pcrid_39287563...

I don't know if this link wil work or not, but if you google difference in apple air pods or go to the apple site, on the apple site under air pods it shows the different air pods and lists each feature next to each other so you can compare.  HTH  Here are a few things that the most expensive has over the least expensive.

Looks like the most expensive has:

• Customizable fit
  • Active Noise Cancellation
  • Adaptive EQ
  • Sweat and water resistant1
  • Wireless Charging Case

Trusted Contributor

@ScrapHappy @I asked my son, who is an Apple geek, what the difference is and he said several newer features are Voice Activated Suri (the older version you had to tap the EarPods), better sound quality, longer battery life. I have the first generation and I love mine. I don't need the voice activated Suri. They are really amazing devices. Hope that helps.

Respected Contributor

My suggestion would be to go to apple.com, search for AirPods and it will show a comparison of the AirPods.  Plus if you order them from Apple they will personalize the AirPod case with her name (I think for free).  Several years ago I ordered something from Apple and had it personalized and it shipped very fast so I was pleased. 

Honored Contributor

Re: APPLE AIRPODS??

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy  I think the latest model has like you mentioned the Hey Siri function and 50% more talk time, and an optional wireless charging case. I have the last model and love them. I use them on my commute. Depends on how she would use them, whether the newest model might be best. I'm perfectly happy with the previous, but I never take calls/talk with them, only listen to music.

ETA - I would suggest buying directly from Apple.

Honored Contributor

Get the newest model, go to Apple to order them and seriously think about adding Apple care (I don't think it is really expensive for these and is 2 years I think).

I really order from Apple to make sure it's the real deal. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy  YouTube channel of Techmeout. She talks about the hype. I buy Apple products from the online store. The company does offer an extended warranty against loss. 

Honored Contributor

My kids can't even keep up with wired ones, so not happening here! 

Valued Contributor

My son got a pair in August and they are not the newest.  I do suggest buying directly from Apple.