Respected Contributor

AP news reports Nursing Home COVID deaths surge to over 3600 at an alarming rate

This was reported on the AP news feed today 4/13.

I hope with is a wake-up call to the Federal and State agencies that currently mandate that nursing homes take COVID pts to relieve hospital overflows.   There are so many other and better options than nursing homes.  

Respected Contributor

Re: AP news reports Nursing Home COVID deaths surge to over 3600 at an alarming rate

about a month ago on the federal level after the study of Kirkland WA nursing home disaster CMS revamped efforts to target Covid issues particularly, to help the states.  in L A some seniors were recently moved to USNS Mercy to protect them as that area of possible infection and that in city's new homeless shelters remain problematic.

Honored Contributor

Re: AP news reports Nursing Home COVID deaths surge to over 3600 at an alarming rate

@AbrowneyegirlI want those many more and better options to be true -   what are you thinking?

Esteemed Contributor

Apparently, the stats on Covid-relaed deaths in nursing homes are not being collected or counted on the federal level. The numbers we're currently hearing about have been collected by the press

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@AbrowneyegirlI want those many more and better options to be true -   what are you thinking?

I am not thinking I am supporting the many other options presented such as field hospitals, ships, motels, decommissioned facilities....... the list goes on.  When I read the list I was surprised at how many decent options were presented.

I am not sure why those options that could provide proper care for those who are no longer so acute that they must be in the hospital without putting them in facilities that are the home of our most vulnerable citizens are not utilized first.

Respected Contributor

Holy smokes!  So they are using nursing homes as rehab units for Covid patients.  It took a minute for that to sink in.  I know in Ann Arbor they are building separate spaces for rehab and isolation.

I saw Maddow was following a bit.  That is right up there with the Flint water debacle.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

My neighbors placed Grandpa in a nursing care facility because their daily nursing aids were no longer allowed to come to the home via their employer. He needs were simply too much for family members so, this is what they had to do. From what Grandma told me, (all the neighbors call them by this; they live with their son and daughter who are my age and their 3 grandchildren 2 doors down from me) this occurred mid-January. 

Before my state did a stay at home and just after the nursing home in Seattle reported their nightmare, the director of the one Grandpa is in ordered a shut-down of the facility. Oh, were people angry!!! He and this medical staff did this based on their research and the fact that the director was a research physician at Hopkins for many years before taking on this position. Today, this nursing home is the only one in the state with NO COVID19 cases.  Kudos to him and the staff for going against public opinion at that time and thinking of their patients first and foremost.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee 

I agree the shutdown measures to visitors was essential and necessary.  Our state shut down nursing homes well before the virus became what it is today.  

That's why it is maddening that they can be mandated to take COVID pts for convalescent care yet no family members can visit????!!!!! 

It makes no sense!

How can you keep the residents safe?

Esteemed Contributor

I am deeply saddened when I read these type of stories.😞 As shocking as the numbers are, they are certainly not  unexpected, given that the elderly are the most vulnerable population. It was projected from the onset, that their numbers would be staggering, and unfortunately, they have proven to be so. 

I continue to PRAY for EVERYONE affected by this horrible virus-particularly the elderly. May God bless them.❤❤ 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖💖💖