Honored Contributor

Re: ANYONE HAVE SOLAR PANELS ON THEIR ROOF?

@Rockycoast is that a one time assessment or an annual?

In either case, any incentive to go solar would be wiped out by the assessment.

Honored Contributor

I'd say about 80% of the houses in my area have solar; we are in the sun belt....land of eternal sunshine.  We had a company come through that installed them free.  I got approved then backed out.  Although the rep explained the deal, I couldn't figure out what was in it for the company.  I'm a very suspicious person.  Electricity is not a major expense for me anyway.  After a while you don't even notice the panels.  I suppose you could say they're a status symbol.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I live in one of the sunniest areas in the country. Solar panels are so common here that I rarely notice them anymore.

It is our future. Coal is is on the way out. Our dependence on fossil fuel will be replaced with cleaner, more renewable forms of energy. It's not if. Its when.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips Since I commented on your thread, I started doing some research. Spoke to the HOA president of another community (townhouses, about 50 of them) who ALL have solar panels. According to her, the builder/developer made them a "standard feature" so every house has them but it's up to the homeowner to activate them. The community sits right next to a roundabout and a major highway with no trees anywhere and receives direct sunlight year round; great in the winter but horrible with our hot and humid summers plus the heat from the roads and cars. By offering this, many homeowners saw it as a way to keep their cooling costs down during the hot weather; it worked as the community sold out in a few weeks. (the location is horrible but there it is).

The builder/developer received quite an incentive (money) from the county by doing this as well.

Our county is known for the trees, parks....building around what was already here. It's the homes that are being packed in like sardines (all townhouses and condos) in what was once cow/corn fields that have no trees to protect them from noise, pollution or sun. It is these properties where solar panels are being seen. That said, you see very few; the community I mentioned earlier is the only one that has ever done that and it hasn't been done since- don't know why.

I had heard and then read an article that California was pushing to pass a law/requirement that all builders have to offer solar panels as the main heat source now if a customer wants it. I think that's a great idea. Can anyone in CA confirm that?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Rockycoast is that a one time assessment or an annual?

In either case, any incentive to go solar would be wiped out by the assessment.

Solar panels are considered a home improvement by the assesor.  Like a pool, deck or generator.  It would be included in the total assessment of your home. $400.00  X  lets' say 5 panels equals $2,000.00 added to the home's improvememt.  It is not a one time fee.