Super Contributor

Re: ANYONE HAVE AN EASY AND QUICK WAY TO REMOVE

Our city has a Rent-It shop. I rented a wallpaper steamer by the hour and did it with that. It was around $7 / hour I believe and took me about 3 hours for a border that was very difficult to get off. 

Honored Contributor

You will have to use heat of some kind.

a light spray of very hot water or some kind of steamer.

@tends2dogs wrote:

wallpaper?  I removed a border and it had a paper backing that didn't come off with the border.  Other than wetting and scraping - so tedious! - does anyone have a better way or suggestion to do this??

TIA

Trusted Contributor

@Wiscfan3 wrote:

Our city has a Rent-It shop. I rented a wallpaper steamer by the hour and did it with that. It was around $7 / hour I believe and took me about 3 hours for a border that was very difficult to get off. 

I agree with this suggestion as I've done this a couple time. Rent a wallpaper steamer; it will make the paper just about fall off.

I think the price quoted by Wiscfan is a little higher than I've paid but it's been several years since I've had to remove wallpap (yucky job).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Buy a Dif Paper Tiger which you use to score the wallpaper plus the Dif wallpaper spray gel or other one of their formulas. You score your wallpaper you want removed with the paper tiger which leave tiny holes so the Dif Wallpaper spray remover can get back behind it to losen up the glue. That will make it easier to scrape or peel off. It was easy removal for us when we used it.

Honored Contributor

My mom hung wallpaper in our kitchen years ago.  Luckily, she bought really good wallpaper so when we removed it, it peeled right off and all we had to do was use a hot rag and wipe the walls doww and everything came off. 

When my cousin removed wallpaper from her house, the wallpaper was cheap and it was horrible to remove. She had to rent a steamer to get it off and there was a lot of scraping involved.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

My SIL had to remove wallpaper boarder backing and she used fabric softener sprayed on and scraped.  It's still wetting and scraping but she said it was super easy.

I have done this many times. First use a paper tiger then apply diluted fabric softener (can be an inexpensive brand).  It works like a charm, with the additional benefit of being easy on the hands and smelling nice.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

I have an older home and in the middle of a "wall paper project". I know exactly what you are talking about. I used my steamer to remove the paper. It works great as long as you don't have multiple layers.  

I have both the JOY steamer from HSN and the Hahn portable steamer from QVVC. 

The other method that I saw on Rehab Addict was to spray the area with a solution of fabric softener and water and let it soak in overnight. She just scraped it off in the am. That's my next method to try in my spare room. (it has 4 layers of wallpaper---YUK
!!) 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I removed wallpaper from multiple rooms using a 50% solution of hot water and cheap fabric softener.  IT was the easiest wallpaper removal I have ever done.  SPray it on, wait 5 minutes and scrape.  IF it doesn't come down apply solution again and wait another 5 minutes.  HOwever, I will,say that if the border was put on over regular flat paint instead of over a glossier surface paint it will still be difficult.  I forgot to say to use a scorer.  THat allows the solution to get under the paper.

Honored Contributor

I used wallpaper remover and a wallpaper tiger.  Came off easily. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

To everyone, it is off!!!

I used hot water (microwaved) in a squirt bottle.  Soaked it good, and then scraped it off with a putty knife.  It rolled right off.  I was a little apprehensive to use the fabric softener thinking it may leave a film that would interfere with painting the area.  As it worked out, I didn't need it.

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully, I never need to do that again LOL.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!