Esteemed Contributor

ANYONE HAVE AN EASY AND QUICK WAY TO REMOVE

wallpaper?  I removed a border and it had a paper backing that didn't come off with the border.  Other than wetting and scraping - so tedious! - does anyone have a better way or suggestion to do this??

TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: ANYONE HAVE AN EASY AND QUICK WAY TO REMOVE

My SIL had to remove wallpaper boarder backing and she used fabric softener sprayed on and scraped.  It's still wetting and scraping but she said it was super easy.

Honored Contributor

I use my clothes steamer.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

wallpaper?  I removed a border and it had a paper backing that didn't come off with the border.  Other than wetting and scraping - so tedious! - does anyone have a better way or suggestion to do this??

TIA

I have always had an easy time removing wallpaper with Def wallpaper remover.  However,  in my current house I live in the previous owners applied wallpaper directly to the dry wall.  It was an awful mess.  I had to hire a painter to come in with a professional steamer to get the darn stuff off. 

Respected Contributor

Use a scorer (don't press too deep) so the Dap or whatever you use can get in and soak for awhile - let it set for awhile.  If really hard to get off - I used my wallpaper steamer after that.  Use a scraper and hope for the best - just did my downstairs kitchen and laundry room - I don't envy you - I've had enough with the wallpaper! 

Esteemed Contributor

I've had a lot If success with a clothing steamer.It loosens the paper enough so it peels off.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs

If the wallpaper was applied w/o first priming the the dry wall it will be a mess.  Such was the situation  in a previous home.  Finally I hired a painter who sanded it off, re-muded the wall, sanded smooth, and painted.  

Gone, but not forgotten.  Oh, the mess!

Best wishes.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

TIA

I have always had an easy time removing wallpaper with Def wallpaper remover.  However,  in my current house I live in the previous owners applied wallpaper directly to the dry wall.  It was an awful mess.  I had to hire a painter to come in with a professional steamer to get the darn stuff off. 

Same in my house.

I used a light spray of super hot water.

And yes it was tedious

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond.  Luckily this wasn't applied to fresh drywall. 

The spraying is taking it off, but I am going to try adding the fabric softener.  I left my steamer down south...DARN! 

I am glad it is just a border and not the whole wall.  If the going gets tough, I may have to run out and get a scorer.

DH saw me struggling with it and said he would do it AWWWW, but he is busy painting other rooms right now and I feel I need to help in some way Smiley Wink.

Thanks again, ladies.  I can always come here for help.  That is nice.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

I'm sorry. There is NO easy way to do it. I have sworn never to hang any wallpaper ever, again. And, also, I have sworn never to help anyone remove it. There is no one that I like that much! LOL

Blue Windex. Spray it on. Peel off the front piece. Spray it on. It breaks down the glue & you can "easily" scrape the backing & glue off. 

It does come off easily, but it is still scraping & gluey & icky.