Honored Contributor

ANYONE FOR WARM, MULLED CIDER?

[ Edited ]

Some recipes seem too ambitious (for what I want at least), but I found the simplest from "The Seasoned Mom" that I plan to make as a Christmas gesture.

Mulled-Cider-Horizontal-1.jpg

The recipe for warm mulled apple cider is for a gallon, but you can always make half or less.  

Combine in a pot:

One gallon nice, cloudy cider

4 orange slices 

1 Tablespoon whole cloves

3 or 4 cinnamon sticks

1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries

Mulled-Cider-1.jpg

(Optional add-ins--  Star anise, black peppercorns, ginger, allspice berries.  It's easy to strain out the cloves if they're the only small spice you put in.  But if you put these extras in,  she recommends tying them up in a little bundle, only to make removal easier.)  

Bring to a boil, then lower, and simmer twenty minutes on stove, and serve.  Makes about 16 cups, and keeps 3 to 4 days in frig.

Mulled-Cider-3.jpg

She gives a fun little pocket history of the "wassailing" practice.  Drinking warm, spiced apple cider is participating in a Yuletide tradition that goes back to medieval times, and then came over with colonists to the New World...

Edited to add--  Oh, I think she said this recipe uses only  non-alcoholic apple cider,  not the "hard" kind.  The prep would be a bit different for that, I think she commented.

Honored Contributor

Re: ANYONE FOR WARM, MULLED CIDER?

I've made this recipe from Cook's Country the last few years:

1 cinnamon stick broken into pieces

1/2 tsp coriander seeds

1/2 tsp peppercorns

1/2 tsp whole cloves

2 qts apple cider

4 strips orange zest

2 tbsp brown sugar

Toast cinnamon pieces, coriander seeds, peppercorns, and cloves in big saucepan until fragrant. 

Stir in cider, orange zest, and brown sugar and bring to boil.  Simmer on low for 1/2 hour.

Pour through strainer to remove spices and zest.   

Honored Contributor

Sounds good, @deepwaterdotter .

Honored Contributor

I am not a fan; one of the girls in the office always had to have this in a crockpot at work during the holidays.   I liked smelling it, but don't like the taste.   

Super Contributor

I love hot cider and this looks great.  I have found teabags that I buy at our farm stands that give a nice taste and aroma to hot cider.  I warm the fresh cider in a saucepan slowly and when hot I put 2-3 of these spiced teabags into the pot and gently let them brew and stay hot.  Take out bags and pour into a mug.  Yummy and easy.  Of course cider donuts go well with it too.

Honored Contributor

Can't say I ever tried it. Have to make it. Sounds good.

I did have Hot Caramel Apple Cider in a restaurant on Saint Simon's Island. It was SO GOOD on a cold day.

Honored Contributor

Mmmmmmm, @cookie16 and @drizzellla ,  those versions sound so delicious!

Made mine a little while ago, and it just smelled and tasted like Christmas!  Especially with little cranberries floating around....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. The best mulled cider is from Martin Mull's recipe.😉

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, punning @Pearlee !   And I'd imagine his to be quite spicy, as well....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Ha, ha, punning @Pearlee !   And I'd imagine his to be quite spicy, as well....

@Oznell  LOL! Yes indeed! Good one!😄