Honored Contributor

ANY NORTHERN CALIFORNIANS HAVE THEIR POWER SHUT OFF?

[ Edited ]

So far, so good, was supposed to be cut at noon.  The nights are the worst when there is no power, can't do much of anything, even with flameless candles, lol.  If no replies, I will ssume you have no power, what a pain it is when that happens, no tv, computer, etc.

Respected Contributor

Re: ANY NORTHERN CALIFORNIANS HAVE THEIR POWER SHUT OFF?

Sad news - again.  Prayers started.

Esteemed Contributor

The power outage isn't just in Northern CA, it's affecting more than half of all counties.  I used to live in Kern County (Not N. CA) and most of that county is included.  This feels like it might become new normal for CA).

Respected Contributor

What I've heard is that the shutoff has been pushed back to later today or tonight. 

Esteemed Contributor

Why are they shutting off power? I feel for everyone who is dealing with it.

Ours was off last weekend but it was after a storm and only a few hours.

Honored Contributor

You'd have to REALLY love living in California to put up with that.  I suppose people have jobs, own homes, etc and can't just drop everything and leave but it would be tempting.  Is this going to happen every time the wind comes up?  You'd think they could pay for helicopter patrols to look for possible fires and quench them fast.

During long, dark evenings can you stream movies on your computer?  Read a Kindle book?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

There has been extensive reporting on the reasons for this.

My DS and family are in the South Bay of L.A. County and in no dnager of having power shut off.

One of the really terrible fires was started due to a power line falling, I think on some trees.

That, coupled with the winds that are normal this time of year (I am originally from So. Cal.) is the reason. It's hoped that this will possibly prevent another major fire.

All fires are terrible, of course , but California has had some especially fierce fires. It's been all over the news in recent months.

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

Why are they shutting off power? I feel for everyone who is dealing with it.

Ours was off last weekend but it was after a storm and only a few hours.

@happycat   Apparently, it is happening in areas of high wind with high humidity, we have neither today, so as to prevent power lines being blown over causing a power outage, sounds very fishy to me after living here my entire life.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You'd have to REALLY love living in California to put up with that.  I suppose people have jobs, own homes, etc and can't just drop everything and leave but it would be tempting.  Is this going to happen every time the wind comes up?  You'd think they could pay for helicopter patrols to look for possible fires and quench them fast.

During long, dark evenings can you stream movies on your computer?  Read a Kindle book?

@Kachina624   No power, no computer, horrible at night, not to mention the thawing of freezer food.  It was out for a week once, when DD was newborn, thought we would freeze to death.

Honored Contributor

Wishing everyone well. 

Being without power is a PITA, but if it helps prevent one those devastating wildfires I’d be all for it.

Take care, and be safe.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras