Honored Contributor

I've always believed my Amazon account was secure.  I shop the site often and have a few subscription orders with them.  This morning I discovered two emails that came in late last night.  The first one said per my request they changed the password associated with my account.  The second one said they have changed the email address associated with my account.  The trouble is, I didn't make either of those changes.  On the second email, they gave the new email address.  Don't laugh, but it's obviously in Russia.  The name before the "@" sounds Russian too.  I've been in touch with Amazon's CS.  The agent was able to tell me the last order I placed, which I verified, and she was also able to remove my credit card information.  I'm hoping and praying it's safe.  In the meantime, my account is suspended until the "team" can investigate and get back to me (24 hrs.).  When they call or email me, I want to find out if there's a secondary method to secure my accound besides only using a password...maybe two passwords or a password and a numeric code or phone number.  I have no idea how this rat selected me but it's rather unnerving.

Honored Contributor

I would check with Amazon but I beleive they are both scam e mails and fishing for info

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I would keep tabs on your credit card. If any charges show up you did not make call your bank ASAP. You could call your bank to let them know. They may want to close the account & issue a new card. Probably won't do that unless someone does use it but the bank can also kees tabs on your card.

I have Amazon Prime & don't like my info on their site. I would rather enter it each time I make a purchase.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I would check with Amazon but I beleive they are both scam e mails and fishing for info

@I am still oxoxI thought so too until I went to my Amazon accound and saw the change for myself and couldn't log in.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I would keep tabs on your credit card. If any charges show up you did not make call your bank ASAP. You could call your bank to let them know. They may want to close the account & issue a new card. Probably won't do that unless someone does use it but the bank can also kees tabs on your card.

I have Amazon Prime & don't like my info on their site. I would rather enter it each time I make a purchase.

Exactly my thoughts, @Nightowlz  

Trusted Contributor

I am sorry for your scare.  About 3 years ago, I got an email about my changed password that I had not made.  I do not remember if I got one about the email address, but I called Amazon, changed my password, and was back in business within a day.  It really is unnerving, but I tend to check accounts frequently, so although I went into panic mode for a few hours, i tried to continue being as careful as I can be.  I no longer save passwords on my devices.  But the bad guys do seem to be smart.

Honored Contributor

enable 2 step authentication 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201962420

mods will probably take this out

but you can search for 2 step verification amazon

and delete your CC info and just put in when you need to

I have this process in place for Amz, Apple and Google, it works b/c someone was phishing my Apple yesterday 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch

I would ask my CC company for a new card, no even worth the worry on that 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

enable 2 step authentication 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201962420

mods will probably take this out

but you can search for 2 step verification amazon

and delete your CC info and just put in when you need to

I have this process in place for Amz, Apple and Google, it works b/c someone was phishing my Apple yesterday 

Thanks @jackthebear.  I've saved this and will use it once things get straightened out.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch

I would ask my CC company for a new card, no even worth the worry on that 

@jackthebearJust got off the phone with the CC company.  The rep said one good thing is that Amazon doesn't show the entire card number and since it was removed from the account she believes I'm safe.  She also confirmed that I am not responsible for any fraudulent charges, in case any purchases were made, and that they would keep an eye on the account.