Honored Contributor

Re: AMAZON HAS RETAILERS ON THE RUN

@chickenbutt wrote:

I've always heard that Amazon is a good company to work for, at least out here.    I can certainly see that maybe there could be problems here and there and/or disgruntled ex-employees.  But, over all, I've always heard that they are a good company to work for.

@chickenbutt

From what I read, several sources, the problem was limited to the PA warehouse, not widespread.

Honored Contributor

Noel7 wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

I've always heard that Amazon is a good company to work for, at least out here.    I can certainly see that maybe there could be problems here and there and/or disgruntled ex-employees.  But, over all, I've always heard that they are a good company to work for.

@chickenbutt

From what I read, several sources, the problem was limited to the PA warehouse, not widespread.

Ahh, thanks for that info.  Hopefully, they are straightening it out.   One unfortunate thing about that, aside from employees being treated badly of course, is that it can start, as we see, inaccurate info that the whole company is bad.   

Hope this finds you well!  This heat - oy!   I don't know how many more summers I can get through as my tolerance for heat is going down so badly from one year to the next.  I can go outside my house, even if it's only around 70, and within a couple of minutes I'm turning purple and feel like I'm going to pass out.   Been upper 90s, to 100, here lately.

Now, with the fires, it's smoky too.    I sure hope they get these fires under control very soon.   Fire season is always scary and sad.  Smiley Sad    As for me with asthma, I have to stay inside as much as possible but yesterday the smoke was really bad even inside my house.

Honored Contributor

I love Amazon.  I order large packages of TP, paper towels and Dixie cups from them, it's so much easier than driving to a store and lugging those huge packages around.

And I love the 3% kickback, it really adds up and becomes a Christmas account for me.

IMPORTANT:

Amazon also has secondary sellers for some things.  They jack the prices up, so it's not Amazon.

JUST BE CAREFUL and read who's doing the selling.

Honored Contributor

Noel - if you have Prime, check your account.  They increased the rebate to 5% for Amazon purchases.  Man, that's made a difference for me already.

I also buy a lot of basic household stuff from theire - paper, soap, cleaning.  I save about $20 a month just on the dog food, plus having it delivered makes it een more convenient.  I could not possibly carry around a 30# bag of dog food.

I have a set up that on the day the dog food is coming I put a half-folded moving blanket in the entry way.   When that box comes I drag it onto that moving blanket and I can just pull the moving blanket through the house.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@chickenbutt

Ahh, thanks for that info.  Hopefully, they are straightening it out.   One unfortunate thing about that, aside from employees being treated badly of course, is that it can start, as we see, inaccurate info that the whole company is bad.   

Hope this finds you well!  This heat - oy!   I don't know how many more summers I can get through as my tolerance for heat is going down so badly from one year to the next.  I can go outside my house, even if it's only around 70, and within a couple of minutes I'm turning purple and feel like I'm going to pass out.   Been upper 90s, to 100, here lately.

Now, with the fires, it's smoky too.    I sure hope they get these fires under control very soon.   Fire season is always scary and sad.  Smiley Sad    As for me with asthma, I have to stay inside as much as possible but yesterday the smoke was really bad even inside my house.

Hi @chickenbutt

Wow, this really is a hard time for you!  I have asthma, too, and I know how awful that that is.  Someone nearby us must be painting their house, the smell drifts in every evening and I start coughing.  DH and I both like windows open, I hate to have us in a closed atmosphere which is what it's been since the paining started a few weeks ago.

I just got a new fan from HSN and it seems really good, a Hunter, evidently an old reliable brand.

Honored Contributor

Noel7 wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

Noel7 wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

@chickenbutt

Hi @chickenbutt

Wow, this really is a hard time for you!  I have asthma, too, and I know how awful that that is.  Someone nearby us must be painting their house, the smell drifts in every evening and I start coughing.  DH and I both like windows open, I hate to have us in a closed atmosphere which is what it's been since the paining started a few weeks ago.

I just got a new fan from HSN and it seems really good, a Hunter, evidently an old reliable brand.

Interesting bit about fans - I have a Toshiba brand oscillating fan that my father gave me in 1972.  He had had it for a couple of years and then it went on to me.   That fan still works perfectly AND is the quietest fan I've ever seen.

I have a fair amount of fans in my house - two pointed right on me right now.  One is a Dyson and the other is some generic oscillating fan my husband brought home one day several years ago.  Makes all the difference, even though I do have central a/c in my house.  But I need to be particularly cool.

I have another Dyson fan in my bedroom that really helps out.  I need to sleep in a COLD room and even with the a/c running through part of the night it's just not cool enough for me.

Just waitin' for winter!  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Amazon doesn't have jack on the run.

Here's my most recent Amazon experience. Ordered four items. One order delivered today. It was supposed to be six boxes of coffee filters. I was sent one box. I revisited the listing, and it's clearly there, 6, and a suggestion to "buy in bulk." One box is not bulk. I've messaged the seller to have him send the remaining 5 boxes. I will not do a return because they'll deduct the shipping fee, per store policy.

Did I mention this company has a 99% approval rating on Amazon? Amazon has gone through the feedback, though, and done strike-throughs for a lot of bad ratings, with a note that it was a FBA item. I'm not sure, but I think that's resulted in an artificially positive feedback rating.

It is SUCH a drag when you have to not only drill down to weed out the shill ratings with their disclaimers ("I received this item free or at a discount but that had no impact on my glowing 500-word review," etc.) to now having to drill down through the feedback on the sellers.

Amazon's reach exceeds its grasp. It's not keeping a clean house while it gobbles up more companies. It's like a retail hoarder. On a positive note, it's going to make real service that's not delivered in a two-tier system for members vs. nonmembers more valulable than ever.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann

Reports from various news sources disagree with you.  Amazon and Costco are a lot of the reason the brick and mortar stores are going out of business.

Shopping has changed, like it always has, and most people now, especially the younger generation, buy online or at the really big discount places like Costco or Sams Club.

Honored Contributor

55 percent of online shoppers start their product searches on Amazon

https://www.recode.net/2016/9/27/13078526/amazon-online-shopping-product-search-engine

Honored Contributor

Somebody upthread mentioned that most people probably don't compare prices with Amazon.    I cannot imagine that most people don't.  I always check around and most of the time they DO have the best price.   But I don't really check around on really small things.  If it's a small, low priced, item the difference can be too small to make it worth my time to shop around.   

I would never just assume that any given retailer has the best price without doing proper research.

I'll admit that, as the poll Noel mentioned, I will, more often than not, start my search there, though.  Smiley Happy   That gives me a good start and a price to look for.  Just makes good sense.