Reply
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 51,780
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: AMAZON HAS RETAILERS ON THE RUN


@SPURT wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Mr. George might be saying now that QVC is not competing with Amazon, probably because he knows he can't, but I do believe he has thrown that name, and a few other somewhat ridiculous comparisons, out in press releases of the past...


@stevieb

 

Oh yes, I remember those interviews when Mikey threw down the gauntlet and made a challenge to Amazon (one of the more memorable lines was , "well if a customer likes cheap stuff they can shop Amazon" and by "cheap" he wasnt referring to price---I think he was putting Amazon on the same level as Wally World....what a mistake....LOL) ............but as time progressed I think even he threw out the white flag and surrendered and finally reality struck and he realized he cant compete with them.............

 

I thought you'd get a kick out of this article...............:

 

 

At a time when fewer people are subscribing to cable, QVC says viewership is still rising.

 

QVC's business model counts on getting just enough viewers who may be tuning in throughout the day or unwinding at night to make impulsive purchases. The company say 87% of its U.S. customers are women, 88% are homeowners, and the average age ranges between 35 and 64 years.

 

It is a formula that Chief Executive Mike George argues can help QVC hold on to its retailing niche in an age of immediacy, where shoppers can find and buy most anything they want with a few taps on a phone.

 

"We're going to try to find 120 to 140 items every day where we think we can tell compelling stories and inspire you to consider it," Mr. George said in an interview at the company's headquarters and broadcast studio here. Once shoppers start buying from QVC, their habits are remarkably steady; on average, its customers have bought 24 items a year in each of the last five years.

 

Mr. George says the latest sales drop was caused by unusual issues. Department stores offered more promotions last summer. Round-the-clock election coverage and even the Summer Olympics competed for attention from viewers who otherwise may have been watching QVC. There were also problems with specific brands. Its haircare business was hurt after a major brand, Wen, came under a probe. While QVC didn't stock the specific products named in the investigation, all of the brand's products took a hit.

 

Meanwhile, big sellers, such as Keurig coffee machines and Vitamix blenders, had few new products to launch.

 

Competitors, meanwhile, have encroached into QVC's turf. Since March, Amazon has broadcast a live webcast on weeknights where hosts highlight beauty products and fashion apparel sold on its site. Mr. George rebuts the effect of that move, adding that if Amazon was behind QVC's recent sales decline, the slump wouldn't have materialized so suddenly. He sees Amazon's foray into live shows as an attempt to establish itself as a stronger fashion authority with younger consumers rather than the product curation that QVC does. "I never discount Amazon on anything, but I don't think they're trying to do what we do," Mr. George said.

 

https://www.gfmag.com/topics/syndicate/39239959-is-there-time-for-qvc-in-the-age-of-amazon


@SPURT Where would I even begin to comment on this... I think I just won't, because I know you know... I'll simply note that he's so full of it one would have to be surprised he can be in the same with himself without a clothes pin for his nose... Who knows, maybe he bathes in the magic pourri...


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,563
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: AMAZON HAS RETAILERS ON THE RUN


@stevieb wrote:

@SPURT There are at least four or five major full-service grocery chains in my market, if not more, and I know at least two of them deliver. If I were going with the delivery option, odds are I'd go with one of them. In addition, we have the membership warehosues and big box stores. There's little room I guess for smaller merchants. As for Costo, I got a membership and almost never go into the store or shop the website. I probably won't renew it when it runs out.


@stevieb

 

I am not a Costco fan either..........for big families it might make sense I cant see spending the fee.......I only go there if a friend with a membership needs something and I tag along, but havent been too impressed...........

 

If I wanted some groceries delivered I would certainly chose the local option too....just makes more sense.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 51,780
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: AMAZON HAS RETAILERS ON THE RUN

@SPURT I joined Costco with a friend and we split the fee. It seemed like a good idea at the time and I suppose maybe if I actually used it I'd find it makes sense for some things... Still, I've not noted any huge bargains and no, I don't need, want or have room to buy in bulk. They do offer a wide variety of goods and services but I find dealing with them is also sort of cumbersome and the store is literally a warehouse.


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,880
Registered: ‎01-22-2012

Re: AMAZON HAS RETAILERS ON THE RUN


@Bestdressed wrote:

I sometimes buy from Amazon.  But more often, I can find the same thing cheaper elsewhere.  I have more confidence buying "authentic" brand names from online retailers. 


Same here, @Bestdressed: A while ago Amazon always came out best, but lately they have raised their prices. I haven't better prices there.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,880
Registered: ‎01-22-2012

Re: AMAZON HAS RETAILERS ON THE RUN


@stevieb wrote:

@SPURT wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Mr. George might be saying now that QVC is not competing with Amazon, probably because he knows he can't, but I do believe he has thrown that name, and a few other somewhat ridiculous comparisons, out in press releases of the past...


@stevieb

 

Oh yes, I remember those interviews when Mikey threw down the gauntlet and made a challenge to Amazon (one of the more memorable lines was , "well if a customer likes cheap stuff they can shop Amazon" and by "cheap" he wasnt referring to price---I think he was putting Amazon on the same level as Wally World....what a mistake....LOL) ............but as time progressed I think even he threw out the white flag and surrendered and finally reality struck and he realized he cant compete with them.............

 

I thought you'd get a kick out of this article...............:

 

 

At a time when fewer people are subscribing to cable, QVC says viewership is still rising.

 

QVC's business model counts on getting just enough viewers who may be tuning in throughout the day or unwinding at night to make impulsive purchases. The company say 87% of its U.S. customers are women, 88% are homeowners, and the average age ranges between 35 and 64 years.

 

It is a formula that Chief Executive Mike George argues can help QVC hold on to its retailing niche in an age of immediacy, where shoppers can find and buy most anything they want with a few taps on a phone.

 

"We're going to try to find 120 to 140 items every day where we think we can tell compelling stories and inspire you to consider it," Mr. George said in an interview at the company's headquarters and broadcast studio here. Once shoppers start buying from QVC, their habits are remarkably steady; on average, its customers have bought 24 items a year in each of the last five years.

 

Mr. George says the latest sales drop was caused by unusual issues. Department stores offered more promotions last summer. Round-the-clock election coverage and even the Summer Olympics competed for attention from viewers who otherwise may have been watching QVC. There were also problems with specific brands. Its haircare business was hurt after a major brand, Wen, came under a probe. While QVC didn't stock the specific products named in the investigation, all of the brand's products took a hit.

 

Meanwhile, big sellers, such as Keurig coffee machines and Vitamix blenders, had few new products to launch.

 

Competitors, meanwhile, have encroached into QVC's turf. Since March, Amazon has broadcast a live webcast on weeknights where hosts highlight beauty products and fashion apparel sold on its site. Mr. George rebuts the effect of that move, adding that if Amazon was behind QVC's recent sales decline, the slump wouldn't have materialized so suddenly. He sees Amazon's foray into live shows as an attempt to establish itself as a stronger fashion authority with younger consumers rather than the product curation that QVC does. "I never discount Amazon on anything, but I don't think they're trying to do what we do," Mr. George said.

 

https://www.gfmag.com/topics/syndicate/39239959-is-there-time-for-qvc-in-the-age-of-amazon


@SPURT Where would I even begin to comment on this... I think I just won't, because I know you know... I'll simply note that he's so full of it one would have to be surprised he can be in the same with himself without a clothes pin for his nose... Who knows, maybe he bathes in the magic pourri...


Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,880
Registered: ‎01-22-2012

Re: AMAZON HAS RETAILERS ON THE RUN


@SPURT wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@SPURT There are at least four or five major full-service grocery chains in my market, if not more, and I know at least two of them deliver. If I were going with the delivery option, odds are I'd go with one of them. In addition, we have the membership warehosues and big box stores. There's little room I guess for smaller merchants. As for Costo, I got a membership and almost never go into the store or shop the website. I probably won't renew it when it runs out.


@stevieb

 

I am not a Costco fan either..........for big families it might make sense I cant see spending the fee.......I only go there if a friend with a membership needs something and I tag along, but havent been too impressed...........

 

If I wanted some groceries delivered I would certainly chose the local option too....just makes more sense.....


I was amazed recently when my Publix email offered one-hour delivery. On everything: dairy, produce, the works. They wanted $l45. annually. At least they know what's going on, unlike Mr. George.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,563
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: AMAZON HAS RETAILERS ON THE RUN

[ Edited ]

@taja123 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@SPURT wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Mr. George might be saying now that QVC is not competing with Amazon, probably because he knows he can't, but I do believe he has thrown that name, and a few other somewhat ridiculous comparisons, out in press releases of the past...


@stevieb

 

Oh yes, I remember those interviews when Mikey threw down the gauntlet and made a challenge to Amazon (one of the more memorable lines was , "well if a customer likes cheap stuff they can shop Amazon" and by "cheap" he wasnt referring to price---I think he was putting Amazon on the same level as Wally World....what a mistake....LOL) ............but as time progressed I think even he threw out the white flag and surrendered and finally reality struck and he realized he cant compete with them.............

 

I thought you'd get a kick out of this article...............:

 

 

At a time when fewer people are subscribing to cable, QVC says viewership is still rising.

 

QVC's business model counts on getting just enough viewers who may be tuning in throughout the day or unwinding at night to make impulsive purchases. The company say 87% of its U.S. customers are women, 88% are homeowners, and the average age ranges between 35 and 64 years.

 

It is a formula that Chief Executive Mike George argues can help QVC hold on to its retailing niche in an age of immediacy, where shoppers can find and buy most anything they want with a few taps on a phone.

 

"We're going to try to find 120 to 140 items every day where we think we can tell compelling stories and inspire you to consider it," Mr. George said in an interview at the company's headquarters and broadcast studio here. Once shoppers start buying from QVC, their habits are remarkably steady; on average, its customers have bought 24 items a year in each of the last five years.

 

Mr. George says the latest sales drop was caused by unusual issues. Department stores offered more promotions last summer. Round-the-clock election coverage and even the Summer Olympics competed for attention from viewers who otherwise may have been watching QVC. There were also problems with specific brands. Its haircare business was hurt after a major brand, Wen, came under a probe. While QVC didn't stock the specific products named in the investigation, all of the brand's products took a hit.

 

Meanwhile, big sellers, such as Keurig coffee machines and Vitamix blenders, had few new products to launch.

 

Competitors, meanwhile, have encroached into QVC's turf. Since March, Amazon has broadcast a live webcast on weeknights where hosts highlight beauty products and fashion apparel sold on its site. Mr. George rebuts the effect of that move, adding that if Amazon was behind QVC's recent sales decline, the slump wouldn't have materialized so suddenly. He sees Amazon's foray into live shows as an attempt to establish itself as a stronger fashion authority with younger consumers rather than the product curation that QVC does. "I never discount Amazon on anything, but I don't think they're trying to do what we do," Mr. George said.

 

https://www.gfmag.com/topics/syndicate/39239959-is-there-time-for-qvc-in-the-age-of-amazon


@SPURT Where would I even begin to comment on this... I think I just won't, because I know you know... I'll simply note that he's so full of it one would have to be surprised he can be in the same with himself without a clothes pin for his nose... Who knows, maybe he bathes in the magic pourri...


Excuses, excuses, excuses.


@taja123

 

Gee blame poor Vitamix and Keurig for not comin out with new products and that's why sales and revenue stinks????????.....LOL!!!

And where oh where are these  120 to 140 items.......but WAIT!, was that now ANOTHER VACUUM CLEANER I saw today while flipping channels----a Hoover I believe---------that is suppose to inspire us to make a purchase---another gaggle of vacuum shows on the weekends just what we didNOT need, Mr. George.................Woman Frustrated  Is this a sample of the new products we will see in the near future to tell compelling stories and entice us to buy?????????? .......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 5,097
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: AMAZON HAS RETAILERS ON THE RUN

Amazon is not that great.

There is  free faster shipping & returns plus better return policies and pricing on so many other sites than Amazon.

Can't figure out where other shoppers are looking.

The only thing Amazon seems to do well is pay their workers poorly.

 

 

 

 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,880
Registered: ‎01-22-2012

Re: AMAZON HAS RETAILERS ON THE RUN


@SPURT wrote:

@taja123 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@SPURT wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Mr. George might be saying now that QVC is not competing with Amazon, probably because he knows he can't, but I do believe he has thrown that name, and a few other somewhat ridiculous comparisons, out in press releases of the past...


@stevieb

 

Oh yes, I remember those interviews when Mikey threw down the gauntlet and made a challenge to Amazon (one of the more memorable lines was , "well if a customer likes cheap stuff they can shop Amazon" and by "cheap" he wasnt referring to price---I think he was putting Amazon on the same level as Wally World....what a mistake....LOL) ............but as time progressed I think even he threw out the white flag and surrendered and finally reality struck and he realized he cant compete with them.............

 

I thought you'd get a kick out of this article...............:

 

 

At a time when fewer people are subscribing to cable, QVC says viewership is still rising.

 

QVC's business model counts on getting just enough viewers who may be tuning in throughout the day or unwinding at night to make impulsive purchases. The company say 87% of its U.S. customers are women, 88% are homeowners, and the average age ranges between 35 and 64 years.

 

It is a formula that Chief Executive Mike George argues can help QVC hold on to its retailing niche in an age of immediacy, where shoppers can find and buy most anything they want with a few taps on a phone.

 

"We're going to try to find 120 to 140 items every day where we think we can tell compelling stories and inspire you to consider it," Mr. George said in an interview at the company's headquarters and broadcast studio here. Once shoppers start buying from QVC, their habits are remarkably steady; on average, its customers have bought 24 items a year in each of the last five years.

 

Mr. George says the latest sales drop was caused by unusual issues. Department stores offered more promotions last summer. Round-the-clock election coverage and even the Summer Olympics competed for attention from viewers who otherwise may have been watching QVC. There were also problems with specific brands. Its haircare business was hurt after a major brand, Wen, came under a probe. While QVC didn't stock the specific products named in the investigation, all of the brand's products took a hit.

 

Meanwhile, big sellers, such as Keurig coffee machines and Vitamix blenders, had few new products to launch.

 

Competitors, meanwhile, have encroached into QVC's turf. Since March, Amazon has broadcast a live webcast on weeknights where hosts highlight beauty products and fashion apparel sold on its site. Mr. George rebuts the effect of that move, adding that if Amazon was behind QVC's recent sales decline, the slump wouldn't have materialized so suddenly. He sees Amazon's foray into live shows as an attempt to establish itself as a stronger fashion authority with younger consumers rather than the product curation that QVC does. "I never discount Amazon on anything, but I don't think they're trying to do what we do," Mr. George said.

 

https://www.gfmag.com/topics/syndicate/39239959-is-there-time-for-qvc-in-the-age-of-amazon


@SPURT Where would I even begin to comment on this... I think I just won't, because I know you know... I'll simply note that he's so full of it one would have to be surprised he can be in the same with himself without a clothes pin for his nose... Who knows, maybe he bathes in the magic pourri...


Excuses, excuses, excuses.


@taja123

 

Gee blame poor Vitamix and Keurig for not comin out with new products and that's why sales and revenue stinks????????.....LOL!!!

And where oh where are these  120 to 140 items.......but WAIT!, was that now ANOTHER VACUUM CLEANER I saw today while flipping channels----a Hoover I believe---------that is suppose to inspire us to make a purchase---another gaggle of vacuum shows on the weekends just what we didNOT need, Mr. George.................Woman Frustrated  Is this a sample of the new products we will see in the near future to tell compelling stories and entice us to buy?????????? .......


I think he "misspoke" a little bit, @SPURT.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,563
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: AMAZON HAS RETAILERS ON THE RUN


@Moonchilde wrote:

@sharke wrote:

For a reason

They're the best. They keep you up to date on tracking. Will intercede on your behalf, if there's a problem, fast shp, processing of your order doesn't take 3 days to 5 days. All my stuff is processed no later then the next business day. Website is easy to use, etc.

 

Got my trade.


 

 

Since Liberty Media's stated objective for the purchase was to lower costs when QVC's infrastructure is already bare bones and has been crumbling for at least 2-3 years (in actuality closer to 5), I don't anticipate any type of improvements or sprucing up. Clearly their customers' internet experience in all ways, i.e. all facets of their website, is at the very bottom of their priority list - if they even bother with having either a list or priorities, or can afford to.

 

Acquisition spending or not, I think this is home shopping's last grasp at straws and the last gasp of home shopping channels in general. I can't see anything much happening but the whole shebang sinking slowly into the quicksand. Might take another 5 years, give or take a year or two, but without any effective improvement (which will cost money) to the buying and shipping experience or to the merchandise itself, Liberty is only kidding themselves.

 

It will be...interesting to see how the sinkage goes. Start poppin' those buckets o' popcorn, peeps.


@Moonchilde

 

download (9).jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”