Honored Contributor

Re: AMAZON HAS RETAILERS ON THE RUN

I may be the only person in the world that doesn't shop at Amazon...ever. Don't plan to. There WILL always be other options. 

In the end, don't complain about "the little guy closing" if you never shopped/stopped shopping at his store and instead shopped at Amazon.  

As for QVC/HSN: as long as they have vendors who show up with deals you can't find elsewhere, they'll be in business. I said this a long time ago here: many use it as a place to jump-start their product/business. On air once and then bye-bye. Others stay because some vendors see a great opportunity. Still many are in-house brands and have nowhere else to go. Time will tell.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

Mr. George might be saying now that QVC is not competing with Amazon, probably because he knows he can't, but I do believe he has thrown that name, and a few other somewhat ridiculous comparisons, out in press releases of the past...

@stevieb

Oh yes, I remember those interviews when Mikey threw down the gauntlet and made a challenge to Amazon (one of the more memorable lines was , "well if a customer likes cheap stuff they can shop Amazon" and by "cheap" he wasnt referring to price---I think he was putting Amazon on the same level as Wally World....what a mistake....LOL) ............but as time progressed I think even he threw out the white flag and surrendered and finally reality struck and he realized he cant compete with them.............

I thought you'd get a kick out of this article...............:

At a time when fewer people are subscribing to cable, QVC says viewership is still rising.

QVC's business model counts on getting just enough viewers who may be tuning in throughout the day or unwinding at night to make impulsive purchases. The company say 87% of its U.S. customers are women, 88% are homeowners, and the average age ranges between 35 and 64 years.

It is a formula that Chief Executive Mike George argues can help QVC hold on to its retailing niche in an age of immediacy, where shoppers can find and buy most anything they want with a few taps on a phone.

"We're going to try to find 120 to 140 items every day where we think we can tell compelling stories and inspire you to consider it," Mr. George said in an interview at the company's headquarters and broadcast studio here. Once shoppers start buying from QVC, their habits are remarkably steady; on average, its customers have bought 24 items a year in each of the last five years.

Mr. George says the latest sales drop was caused by unusual issues. Department stores offered more promotions last summer. Round-the-clock election coverage and even the Summer Olympics competed for attention from viewers who otherwise may have been watching QVC. There were also problems with specific brands. Its haircare business was hurt after a major brand, Wen, came under a probe. While QVC didn't stock the specific products named in the investigation, all of the brand's products took a hit.

Meanwhile, big sellers, such as Keurig coffee machines and Vitamix blenders, had few new products to launch.

Competitors, meanwhile, have encroached into QVC's turf. Since March, Amazon has broadcast a live webcast on weeknights where hosts highlight beauty products and fashion apparel sold on its site. Mr. George rebuts the effect of that move, adding that if Amazon was behind QVC's recent sales decline, the slump wouldn't have materialized so suddenly. He sees Amazon's foray into live shows as an attempt to establish itself as a stronger fashion authority with younger consumers rather than the product curation that QVC does. "I never discount Amazon on anything, but I don't think they're trying to do what we do," Mr. George said.

https://www.gfmag.com/topics/syndicate/39239959-is-there-time-for-qvc-in-the-age-of-amazon

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Well I think Amazon may have bitten off more than they can handle by getting into the grocery business to add to their retail, and their electronic division..........Walmart did the same and found out it's grocery shoppers found better bargains and selection in other stores and what they gained in groceries they lost in other departments, people went to other stores to shop (especially apparel of all things)......And Walmart did close some of it's Sam's Stores, so even "mighty" WalMart experienced declines when they put their effots on one side of the retail business but they lost in another sector..............I think one of these days Amazon is going too far in expansion and then start to decline.......They have a rather odd business model not typical for retail where they dont save for bad times and just reinvest what they make.....if the economy turns, watch out!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesinsights/2015/02/24/walmarts-7-billion-gift-to-kohls/2/#7e3844684...

The difference might be, @Spurt, that Whole Foods never catered to bargain shoppers... Also, Amazon won't be cutting 'floor space' to offer groceries as Walmart, Target and so many others did.

@stevieb

Thats true and an excellent point.............BUT how would this work, wouldnt they have to have regional warehouses and space and such for the food???????????  And how could they make it more economical for them and still compete with big chains that offer local delivery also...............

But what I fear is just like cable TV, there will be so few choices as Amazon runs other grocers out of business, that means that more than likely that means higher prices for everyone!!!

From an article in USA Today, "It's more a question of when, not if, Amazon will leverage its purchase of Whole Foods to expand its online grocery business, which already includes Amazon Fresh. Doing so would likely affect the menu of websites offering grocery delivery. How much of an impact Amazon will have is unclear, but if early investry reaction is any indicator, competitors are already reacting.

Experts said the move will force regional grocery stores and online grocery delivery services to step up their service, but won't annihilate them."  

"Romero said online grocery delivery services competing with Amazon can protect themselves by aligning with regional grocers, like Publix has done with Instacart. The move by Amazon may even prove the worth of these other services. People who buy their food, paper products and fresh produce at different stores may remain loyal to a delivery service that can deliver from all three, not just Whole Foods. 

But Amazon could prove to be a negative for regional grocers. Should Amazon take Whole Foods, a high-end organic grocery story with a niche customer base, and turn it into a more general grocery store, then Whole Foods stores may start encroaching on regional grocers' customer bases."

https://www.wired.com/story/amazon-whole-foods-acquisition-grocery-shopping/

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I have been shopping at Amazon ever since they were selling books out of a garage and delivering them in a station wagon - that was not all that long ago when you consider what they have become.  They have made a couple of ventures into grocery delivery here without much success but I still see the Amazon Fresh trucks occasionally so it will be interesting how this works out.  We did have a local chain that delivered but they were bought by Kroger and the quality really went down.  There are two Whole Foods within grocery buying proximity to me and another brand new one under construction next to my Trader Joe's.  I shop at Amazon but do not have Prime but I have never paid shipping.  I don't think they are always the best price but their customer service is great.  Everything is well packed and delivered quickly.  I have only had one mishap in shipping - a small chip on a plate and they quickly replaced it without me even returning it.  

I also shop at Costco but they don't always have the lowest price either.  If you want to shop the sales and drive around from store to store you can find toilet paper and TV's at the same or better prices.  I shop there for the convenience.   

Honored Contributor

Amazon is really good...but far from perfect. There have been many times a seller will sell a product 2-5+ times more than the average price for an item. I don't care how speedy or free the shipping is if I have to pay double or more for an item.

I have learned this and almost made an expensive mistake. I was drawn into the FREE S&H and fast delivery. I make sure I do the comparison shopping every time I shop online and have been amazed by how much some of the venders on Amazon jack up prices...

Esteemed Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

I shop Amazon a little but I am very careful to check out the competition. Amazon is not always the best choice- especially price wise.

I agree. I don't think a lot of people bother with comparing prices and are just pleased with Amazon. Amazon is so far ahead of everybody with Quality, Value and Convenience, it's going to be hard for others to catch up.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@febe1 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

My DVD player quit after ten years. I checked all prices and consumer's best. Walmart beat out everybody for quality, price, reviews and 2 day delivery.

Everyone wants some of the action, and all want in on Amazon.

QVC was one of the highest.

@febe1

I'm not a fan of Amazon: my credit card was hacked there, bought from a vendor that advertised a name brand, but what I got was a cheap knockoff---Amazon did nothing, even my review was removed.  And have had difficulties with other orders I placed directly with Amazon as the vendor too...And I heard about people getting paid to review their products (of course always postive reviews since they were paid). I heard this practice supposedly was stopped, but it makes you wonder........Totally done with Amazon and I've survived! Woman Very Happy ( I shop Target, TJ Maxx, Home Goods, Marshalls, Stein Mart, Bed,Bath & Beyond, Dillards --sales are great!, and Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Best Buy and even Ebay etc etc.........

Well I'm not enamored with Wally World either................I went there yesterday with my sister (her choice of store-not mine).......she found some items-----one of them was a pair of jeans (she called me crying last night, she washed them and they shrunk).......and of course we experienced what Walmar has become famous for-----only 2 cashiers open and everyone waiting in a loooooooooong line!!!!----that is why you get low prices, they go with the bare minimum when it comes to employees..............I tried their online ordering and what I got was obviously a used item and the box had been just retaped.... it was missing the instruction manual too. I returned it and ordered the same brand, same thing from Target with perfect results!!!.....................

QVC relies on the customer base that has been with QVC since the beginning, and they think the hosts are their friends, they never comparison shop and think that QVC is their only shopping option because of the convenience..........they ignore the fact other retailers order that same online experience with lower prices......(Just listen to the phone calls and read QVC's and some of the host's Facebook Pages........

I agree with the Q's customer base, @Spurt. Plus there is a sense of "peace of mind" when buying from the Q: you can keep it, try it for 30 days and return if you don't like it. No matter what condition it is in. That's a lot of peace of mind.

If it's a couple of dollars to someone else's favor, I'll go with the Q. However, that's not usually the case. It's usually price, S&H, and quick delivery.

I've always been satisfied with Amazon, however, their prices are now higher than Walmart for many of the same things I purchase. Walmart gives you your two-day delivery, good price, but the packing is awful. Also, their return system is bizarre. You print out the email, no sales receipt, take it to a Walmart and they copy the bar code.

I've bought more lately from the Q. They finally got some things new, and I bought. Super Greens & Plant protein. And I actually got a pair of Skeechers that I didn't have to return for sizing.

I think the Q is so far behind Amazon and Walmart, who both are interested in "pleasing the customer." The Q doesn't seem to have that in mind. To be competitive you have to have in mind first and foremost, what can I offer the customer that's better than others. And a "I'm your friend" just ain't gonna do it.

@febe1  @physicsnut

Well said, Amazon used to be a place for good prices and bargains and super fast delivery.........but now their prices are creeping up and people better start comparison shopping as you do......And see how already Amazon is already changing their retail model by offering higher prices, and for an occasional shopper their Prime isnt worth it............

And what was funny was when Amazon tried to do a QVC and failed, so even Amazon is vunerable................

"Amazon was hoping to entice a younger crowd to make impulse buys like their parents did during QVC's glory days. Like TV shopping channels, Style Code Live even incorporated celebrity guests in a bid to attract more viewers. However, the show turned out to be a rare misfire and Amazon abruptly canceled it in May of this year."

Q has their niche market which they seem to be happy with, but what QVC charges for their  "try me for 30 days" stops me from making a lot of purchases.....I got tired of paying $9.95 just to return something that didnt fit or the product just didnt perform as presented etc etc.............. The only shoes Ive been happy with at the Q is Ryka.....and they are showing them less and less....Oh well I'll just get them at DSW or Marshalls or Academy............at least I can try them on to make sure they fit before buying......

Im not one of those either that fall for the "Q is your family" either.............the hosts are sales people certainly not my BFFs.............................

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

My DVD player quit after ten years. I checked all prices and consumer's best. Walmart beat out everybody for quality, price, reviews and 2 day delivery.

Everyone wants some of the action, and all want in on Amazon.

QVC was one of the highest.

@febe1

I'm not a fan of Amazon: my credit card was hacked there, bought from a vendor that advertised a name brand, but what I got was a cheap knockoff---Amazon did nothing, even my review was removed.  And have had difficulties with other orders I placed directly with Amazon as the vendor too...And I heard about people getting paid to review their products (of course always postive reviews since they were paid). I heard this practice supposedly was stopped, but it makes you wonder........Totally done with Amazon and I've survived! Woman Very Happy ( I shop Target, TJ Maxx, Home Goods, Marshalls, Stein Mart, Bed,Bath & Beyond, Dillards --sales are great!, and Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Best Buy and even Ebay etc etc.........

Well I'm not enamored with Wally World either................I went there yesterday with my sister (her choice of store-not mine).......she found some items-----one of them was a pair of jeans (she called me crying last night, she washed them and they shrunk).......and of course we experienced what Walmar has become famous for-----only 2 cashiers open and everyone waiting in a loooooooooong line!!!!----that is why you get low prices, they go with the bare minimum when it comes to employees..............I tried their online ordering and what I got was obviously a used item and the box had been just retaped.... it was missing the instruction manual too. I returned it and ordered the same brand, same thing from Target with perfect results!!!.....................

QVC relies on the customer base that has been with QVC since the beginning, and they think the hosts are their friends, they never comparison shop and think that QVC is their only shopping option because of the convenience..........they ignore the fact other retailers order that same online experience with lower prices......(Just listen to the phone calls and read QVC's and some of the host's Facebook Pages........

I agree with the Q's customer base, @Spurt. Plus there is a sense of "peace of mind" when buying from the Q: you can keep it, try it for 30 days and return if you don't like it. No matter what condition it is in. That's a lot of peace of mind.

If it's a couple of dollars to someone else's favor, I'll go with the Q. However, that's not usually the case. It's usually price, S&H, and quick delivery.

I've always been satisfied with Amazon, however, their prices are now higher than Walmart for many of the same things I purchase. Walmart gives you your two-day delivery, good price, but the packing is awful. Also, their return system is bizarre. You print out the email, no sales receipt, take it to a Walmart and they copy the bar code.

I've bought more lately from the Q. They finally got some things new, and I bought. Super Greens & Plant protein. And I actually got a pair of Skeechers that I didn't have to return for sizing.

I think the Q is so far behind Amazon and Walmart, who both are interested in "pleasing the customer." The Q doesn't seem to have that in mind. To be competitive you have to have in mind first and foremost, what can I offer the customer that's better than others. And a "I'm your friend" just ain't gonna do it.

@febe1  @physicsnut

Well said, Amazon used to be a place for good prices and bargains and super fast delivery.........but now their prices are creeping up and people better start comparison shopping as you do......And see how already Amazon is already changing their retail model by offering higher prices, and for an occasional shopper their Prime isnt worth it............

And what was funny was when Amazon tried to do a QVC and failed, so even Amazon is vunerable................

"Amazon was hoping to entice a younger crowd to make impulse buys like their parents did during QVC's glory days. Like TV shopping channels, Style Code Live even incorporated celebrity guests in a bid to attract more viewers. However, the show turned out to be a rare misfire and Amazon abruptly canceled it in May of this year."

Q has their niche market which they seem to be happy with, but what QVC charges for their  "try me for 30 days" stops me from making a lot of purchases.....I got tired of paying $9.95 just to return something that didnt fit or the product just didnt perform as presented etc etc.............. The only shoes Ive been happy with at the Q is Ryka.....and they are showing them less and less....Oh well I'll just get them at DSW or Marshalls or Academy............at least I can try them on to make sure they fit before buying......

Im not one of those either that fall for the "Q is your family" either.............the hosts are sales people certainly not my BFFs.............................

I hear you, @Spurt. I just bought a Milk Frother from Walmart. The reviews are great; the price is $l0. cheaper than the Q; Free S&H in two days.

Come on now, why would I buy it from the Q? Yeah, b/c they're my friend.

Trusted Contributor

I sometimes buy from Amazon.  But more often, I can find the same thing cheaper elsewhere.  I have more confidence buying "authentic" brand names from online retailers. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt There are at least four or five major full-service grocery chains in my market, if not more, and I know at least two of them deliver. If I were going with the delivery option, odds are I'd go with one of them. In addition, we have the membership warehosues and big box stores. There's little room I guess for smaller merchants. As for Costo, I got a membership and almost never go into the store or shop the website. I probably won't renew it when it runs out.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...