Trusted Contributor

Re: ALL. QUIET. ON. THE. LANDLINE. FRONT.....

[ Edited ]

I understand but also don’t like the trend of getting rid of landlines. I’ve had at least five classmates who lost a parent, and I wanted to send a sympathy card. When I went to look up their address, there was none. I couldn’t send a card. 

Another example is that quite some time back I accidentally received someone’s QVC package. I was so glad to be able to call her instead of just dropping by, which I wouldn’t be comfortable doing. I was glad she had a number I could call. 

Someone called me once to say a package of mine had been delivered to their place. 

There are other examples, as well. But I feel somewhat sad if we lose our ability to call each other or can’t find an address when we want it.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would never get rid of my landline!  I only use my cell for emergencies. All friends, family and important contacts know to call me on my landline.  If I receive a call from them on my cell phone when I am not home, l know that it must be an emergency. 

Both my landline and cell phone have call blocking option.  LOVE  IT!!  Can't believe how quiet it has been around here since I hooked them up....

Honored Contributor

My landline died and I switched to Comcast Voice and was able to sign up with nomorobo (or whatever it's called) and my phone has a total of 3 calls in 2 weeks since it went live.

I didn't realize how often my phone rang until it never rang again.

Also, setting it at 6 rings vs 4 seems to get rid of the hangup voicemails.  I need more time and calls to verify this, though.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

My landline died and I switched to Comcast Voice and was able to sign up with nomorobo (or whatever it's called) and my phone has a total of 3 calls in 2 weeks since it went live.

I didn't realize how often my phone rang until it never rang again.

Also, setting it at 6 rings vs 4 seems to get rid of the hangup voicemails.  I need more time and calls to verify this, though.

It was the same for me.  I never realized how often my phone rang until suddenly it was quiet all day long.  :-)

Respected Contributor

When we retired and moved out of state, we had our new house wired for a landline but didn't get a landline phone.  This way if we change our minds we can get a landline phone.  It's all a matter of personal choice and some say it is better to have a landline phone for emergencies.  

Honored Contributor

I am the call blocker here.  Now, the phone hardly rings.  Before, I just wouldn't answer the phone, then decided let them pay for the call so answered and as soon as someone began to speak, I said DO NOT CALL THIS NUMBER and hung up, lol, seems to have worked.

Respected Contributor

We still have a landline...it's in the package deal with cable/internet service...but we have ringer off for many yrs.  I'd see these weird calls pop up on TV.  After a few yrs it just stopped...guess they gave up!  Now they have started in low amounts on my cell phone!  When I get a call from a # I don't have in my contacts and they do not leave a message for me I then put that # as a blocked call.  Just got another at 11am today!  Tired of this....at least I can block the # and they are trying hard to get people to pick up...using calls that look like they are from your area.