Respected Contributor

Re: ALL. QUIET. ON. THE. LANDLINE. FRONT.....

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Why spend needless money on a contraption to get rid of unwanted calls on a landline phone?? Simple solution is to get rid of you landline phone, use only a cell phone which has the capability to block calls for free. I dumped my landline phone years ago and haven't ever received any unwanted calls using my cell phone. I just don't understand why people still insist on using a landline phone and still complain about it. 

@ID2. You post this all the time and I answer the same all the time. I guess you don’t read your responses. 

My cell phone gets robo calls. I block them. I still get calls. I received one from the United Kingdom the other day! Maybe it was the Queen.

BTW, I like a landline. I don’t block calls on it. I just don’t answer unless I know who it is.

@proudlyfromNJ, We like our landline, too! And we don’t answer unless the message is from someone we know. We live in a small town.  Everyone who wants to call us either knows this number or can access it in phone book.  Why complicate things?? My dad refers to this approach as the KISS method- keep it simple s****d! 😉😆 (Dad loves this expression. Since he’s 91 now, out of respect, I always allow him this attempt at humor and I laugh at his joke. 😊) 

Another reason we keep our land line is our home security system is connected to our landline. The system can be programmed to our cells but since cell stuff is constantly being updated and/or tweaked, it would have to be regularly checked. For now, I can’t be bothered dealing with that. The landline connection serves that purpose just fine. When/if it stops performing we’ll switch to cells.  

BTW, Maybe you should’ve made an exception just this one time and answered the Queen’s phone call! 🤣🤣

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Why spend needless money on a contraption to get rid of unwanted calls on a landline phone?? Simple solution is to get rid of you landline phone, use only a cell phone which has the capability to block calls for free. I dumped my landline phone years ago and haven't ever received any unwanted calls using my cell phone. I just don't understand why people still insist on using a landline phone and still complain about it. 

we have terrible cell service in house always have, so its not always practical to just get rid of the landline,  and there are many ways to get rid of unwanted calls,

not repeating again, as I have written many times before, 

Super Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2. You post this all the time and I answer the same all the time. I guess you don’t read your responses. 

My cell phone gets robo calls. I block them. I still get calls. I received one from the United Kingdom the other day! Maybe it was the Queen.

BTW, I like a landline. I don’t block calls on it. I just don’t answer unless I know who it is.

You also need a landline to call 911 and have first responders be able to see your address.  If your call gets cut off on a cell phone, they have no idea who you are or where you called from.  Calling from a cell phone where I live gets you put on hold up to 10 mintes up to with Highway Patrol.  Then your call has to be rerouted to the local police or sheriff's office, more time wasted, before finally getting help.  Getting rid of a landline is something to think twice about.  

Trusted Contributor

We like our landline also.  We've stayed in the area and not moved away as have so many others.  Old friends get in touch, relatives too.  The cell reception has never been that great in our home, especially the lower level.  Worry about losing the 911 address for fire/rescue (we are not spring chickens).  We bought the call blocker with the large red button from Q and it has been wonderful.

Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Some of us keep landlines because we've been through horrible situations (9/11, Hurricane Sandy, blackouts, etc) when landlines were the only phones that worked.  Cell phones were useless.  Horrendous situations are much, much worse when you're cut off from contact.

I've had several experiences when having a landline made all the difference.  (And it literally saved the lives of friends who were trapped after Hurricane Sandy.)  So, as I've posted before, I will never be without a landline.

(I don't complain about my landline, btw.  I have Nomorobo, and it works just fine.  But I completely understand why other people keep their landlines, even if they're problematic.)

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

I hope you didn't block the Queen!  Oh well, if it was important, she'll call back.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ, We like our landline, too! And we don’t answer unless the message is from someone we know. We live in a small town.  Everyone who wants to call us either knows this number or can access it in phone book.  Why complicate things?? My dad refers to this approach as the KISS method- keep it simple s****d! 😉😆 (Dad loves this expression. Since he’s 91 now, out of respect, I always allow him this attempt at humor and I laugh at his joke. 😊) 

Another reason we keep our land line is our home security system is connected to our landline. The system can be programmed to our cells but since cell stuff is constantly being updated and/or tweaked, it would have to be regularly checked. For now, I can’t be bothered dealing with that. The landline connection serves that purpose just fine. When/if it stops performing we’ll switch to cells.  

BTW, Maybe you should’ve made an exception just this one time and answered the Queen’s phone call! 🤣🤣

@Kalli, this is one of my sister's favorite sayings too.  KISS!  Most of the time, following that advice works really well.

Honored Contributor

It's not always a good idea to get rid of a land line because that will also disconnect any life-line equipment being used in the house. Also, some the older home security systems are connected to land line wiring and other options for having alarm systems, and life-lines, may not be available for some people living in certain areas as well as low income families.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have a landline phone.

I like my landline. I have a cell phone for emergency calls only. it is not a fancy cell just a flip phone.

I purchased a V5000 blocker. have had this call blocker aid for several years now. it has already killed 54 spam calls. like that it stops unwanted phone calls immediately if my call blocker has that number in the system.

Honored Contributor

I always use my landline phone when I want to actually talk to someone without being cut off.  I hate cell phone conversations because the other person is always cutting in and out and I end up talking over them.

I’ll keep my landline as long as I can.  And, as has been pointed out, my cell number also gets unwanted calls that must be blocked.