Honored Contributor

Re: ALL PEOPLE IN THEIR 70'S AREN'T READY FOR A ROCKING CHAIR

Age is not just a number, it's how old you are. I think if you are in good health in your 70's great, but if you think you can function at 70 like you did at 60 you are kidding yourself. My husband worked until he was 73, but he was not a laborer. At 75 my husband is still healthy, but he has slowed down and he certainly is not as strong and steady as he was 5 years ago. Getting old is scary, but we shouldn't deny that we are declining, every body and everything gets old . I choose to take care of myself and not think I can do things I did years ago because I feel good, I pay for it every time.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

A lot has to do with genetics. If you suffer from chronic illness, no matter what you do you won't have the kind of endurance someone healthy has. When I watched "Steel Magnolias" it perfectly described my life regarding when Sally Field said her daughter could never run a marathon. I am not complaining but it is a fallacy to think mind over matter works for everyone. There are vast differences in people's health.... 

@Trinity11

Thank you, unfortunate, but so true.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I can't find it now, but a few days ago I read a post on this board that said anyone over the age of 55 should have grab bars installed in their bathrooms.  

That would include me, and I've gotten myself into a better physical condition than where I was in my 20's.   my parents didn't do the grab bar installation until they were in their mid 80's.  

Honored Contributor

I think the genes you were born with, or circumstances that change in or to your body are the real things that determine how you get around. I don't buy into the this age is now really that age.  We aren't really that able to all fit from one box into another.  Too many other things that determine how we're doing. The lucky ones have good genes, and learned early how to eat and move to help themselves out.  I like that my chair rocks now that I don't so much.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

In the past month I have been "insulted" twice. Once in the grocery store when I dumped a hug watermellon in my basket and went to the check- out to pay.  I made one comment.  THIS FEELS LIKE  40 POUNDS.  The cashier said, " old people think everything is heavier than it is."  Okay if it had been legal I would have hoisted the ole watermellon up and hit him with it... 'BUT I AM A LADY.'  So I let it go.

Second "insult" doctors office... nurse practioner... Hubby and I tripped over each other on a dance floor on a cruise. You cannot make this up.  Bad floor, rocky ship. I got home and after a month ended up with sciatica.  Well SHE said to me, YOU KNOW YOU ARE OLD, YOU MAY NEVER HEAL.  I am perfect now, about to take off for dance weekend.  Perhaps I should have offered her my watermellon and let it slip and see how fast she would heal. 

I do want to qualify... I don't look old. LOL..IMHO, BUT  I have silver hair since the age of 40. 

My partner in crime is my hubby of 51 years and he is in his 80's. 

I think when young people make stupid comments like the one you mentioned I would so like to say "and young people can make some really stupid remarks!" I also to the nurse would want to say, " well, you're my age aren't you?" 

How insensitive can people be?  Were these both women? Makes you want to smack them, doesn't it? Or, can we still soap their mouths? LOL @bonnielu

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Some people in their 80's are out and about doing all kinds of things and others in their 40's complain that they're too old and tired to do anything but sit and watch T.V.

I was just gonna say the same thing - some 40 year olds have an old grumpy mindset and I've met some pretty spry 80 year olds.  Was on a cruise with a friend in April and we met the most wonderful couple - she was 76, he 83 and they were extremely fit.  My friend and I could stand to lose about 30 or 40 pounds and when we got off the ship with them, they just took off and went exploring all over the place - didn't even attempt to keep up with them.  

Honored Contributor

You can be 25 and 'pushing 80'. It depends on your health, attitudes, experiences, and outlook. 

Everyone is different in the way they age, but for most people, the older they get, the more issues come about with their health and their physical abilities. 

Doesn't mean that they can't still be vibrant and productive. I know my mom can outdo me in certain things even today. She is 81 and I'm 56. She walks 3 miles a day. I can't because of bad knees. I did however work her flower beds (weeded/ Preened/mulched/trimmed the bushes) for 5 straight hours the other day. She tried to help some, but the work was too hard for her.

So, people are different. Some can do certain things at certain ages, others cannot. No shame in it, when things start to slow down. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

You can be 25 and 'pushing 80'. It depends on your health, attitudes, experiences, and outlook. 

Everyone is different in the way they age, but for most people, the older they get, the more issues come about with their health and their physical abilities. 

Doesn't mean that they can't still be vibrant and productive. I know my mom can outdo me in certain things even today. She is 81 and I'm 56. She walks 3 miles a day. I can't because of bad knees. I did however work her flower beds (weeded/ Preened/mulched/trimmed the bushes) for 5 straight hours the other day. She tried to help some, but the work was too hard for her.

So, people are different. Some can do certain things at certain ages, others cannot. No shame in it, when things start to slow down. 

@Mominohio  There is by no means shame in the differences!  We all are going to slow down, but during the aging process, we all have something to give......even if it is just giving thanks for being alive! 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

There are vast differences in people's health.... 

Hi @Trinity11

And vast differences in the reasons, genetics aside, why some are and some are not. 

Unlike the OP's 72 year old husband, you won't find me on a roof or in a tree. I prefer my feet either on solid ground or inside on frozen water(wearing ice skates of course). Met my 81 year old boyhood friend ice skating yesterday.

Grew up with him in Public Housing Projects. Last December he had his Aortic Valve replaced, and because of his history of taking the best care possible of his body, he is back to his running/lifting weights, and skating.

Why and how? Because he worked hard at Rehabilitation and didn't let a little discomfort discourage him, nor mental fears of "what might happen". He lived and lives for the day he is in, and does so with joy and gusto.

I will be moving out of the 70's in a couple years and I plan on being able to do the things I did yesterday/today, and tomorrow, if I am fortunate enough to see a tomorrow. Not one to think or concern myself with "what might happen if's", only the "what is happenings".

Hope this weekend finds you doing well. As I have been able to say many times here over the weeks, I am doing great. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Age is not just a number, it's how old you are. I think if you are in good health in your 70's great, but if you think you can function at 70 like you did at 60 you are kidding yourself. My husband worked until he was 73, but he was not a laborer. At 75 my husband is still healthy, but he has slowed down and he certainly is not as strong and steady as he was 5 years ago. Getting old is scary, but we shouldn't deny that we are declining, every body and everything gets old . I choose to take care of myself and not think I can do things I did years ago because I feel good, I pay for it every time.

Years are used to measure time.  Some people are old at age 70 and some are not.

i remember when I was in China. We went to visit the oldest person in a community.  She lived in a house that was centuries old and made her living by inviting tourists to come see how the Chinese people lived centuries ago.  Her home was striking and beautiful with all of the carved wood.

She did not speak English, but her grandson did.  He was so proud of her and bragged about how long she lived.  She was sitting and didn't walk well. We asked how old she was... 77.

One gentleman who was touring with us, said he was 87 and his wife was 86.  I had no idea.  This couple kept up with everyone and even climbed the Great Wall... no easy task.   They said they took active vacations their whol life.., no relaxing beach vacations for them.

People age differently, but yes, we all age.  My father used to say " use it or lose it". That is so true.  If you stop moving you will physically age faster.  It's not how you look, it's how you feel and move.