Esteemed Contributor

Re: ALL PEOPLE IN THEIR 70'S AREN'T READY FOR A ROCKING CHAIR

@Noel7  No fear!  Go Ziggy!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

There are seven days in the week and I dance six of them in the evening.  I get up early and never stop  moving and doing until bedtime which is often after Midnight.  I am full of energy and love living life.  My motto is :  Today is the beginning of the rest of my life and I am going to get up and make it  COUNT.  I am in my 70's.

In the past month I have been "insulted" twice. Once in the grocery store when I dumped a hug watermellon in my basket and went to the check- out to pay.  I made one comment.  THIS FEELS LIKE  40 POUNDS.  The cashier said, " old people think everything is heavier than it is."  Okay if it had been legal I would have hoisted the ole watermellon up and hit him with it... 'BUT I AM A LADY.'  So I let it go.

Second "insult" doctors office... nurse practioner... Hubby and I tripped over each other on a dance floor on a cruise. You cannot make this up.  Bad floor, rocky ship. I got home and after a month ended up with sciatica.  Well SHE said to me, YOU KNOW YOU ARE OLD, YOU MAY NEVER HEAL.  I am perfect now, about to take off for dance weekend.  Perhaps I should have offered her my watermellon and let it slip and see how fast she would heal. 

I do want to qualify... I don't look old. LOL..IMHO, BUT  I have silver hair since the age of 40. 

My partner in crime is my hubby of 51 years and he is in his 80's. 

Honored Contributor

I think aging gracefully and fulfilled has more to do with attitude than physical ability.  I know people who have chronic illness but still have a curiosity about life and learning new things.  A good sense of humour goes along way also!

Respected Contributor

My mother has always been active and healthy and very young looking (without makeup).  She took care of my father who had Parkingson disease until the end.  She was 86 by then.

Children of a neighbor asked her to take care of their mother now that she had all that free time and when she said that she now, at 86, wanted some time for herself they were stunned.  Thought my mother was younger than theirs who was all of 72.

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

There are seven days in the week and I dance six of them in the evening.  I get up early and never stop  moving and doing until bedtime which is often after Midnight.  I am full of energy and love living life.  My motto is :  Today is the beginning of the rest of my life and I am going to get up and make it  COUNT.  I am in my 70's.

In the past month I have been "insulted" twice. Once in the grocery store when I dumped a hug watermellon in my basket and went to the check- out to pay.  I made one comment.  THIS FEELS LIKE  40 POUNDS.  The cashier said, " old people think everything is heavier than it is."  Okay if it had been legal I would have hoisted the ole watermellon up and hit him with it... 'BUT I AM A LADY.'  So I let it go.

Second "insult" doctors office... nurse practioner... Hubby and I tripped over each other on a dance floor on a cruise. You cannot make this up.  Bad floor, rocky ship. I got home and after a month ended up with sciatica.  Well SHE said to me, YOU KNOW YOU ARE OLD, YOU MAY NEVER HEAL.  I am perfect now, about to take off for dance weekend.  Perhaps I should have offered her my watermellon and let it slip and see how fast she would heal. 

I do want to qualify... I don't look old. LOL..IMHO, BUT  I have silver hair since the age of 40. 

Great post, @bonnielu.  You and your partner are loving life.  The two age comments were completely uncalled for!  Those two will be the rocking chair rockers - sooner not later!  HA!

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

@bonnielu

I love you, bonnielu!

Hey, did you see the spot on CNN a week or so ago on the brain benefits of dancing?  

If you ever smack anyone with a watermelon over their rude comment please take a video of it!

Esteemed Contributor

I've noticed that in commercials..so many make older people seem dumb,dense whatever you call it.  A laundry commercial really po's me.  They hold up Grannys under pants while folding,Gramps walks in in his underwear. Seems anything goes when speaking of older people. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I am in my early 60's and occasionally hear some young person call me old.  

I always say " I am the same age as you, one day older than yesterday". I walk away while they are processing that statement.

Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

I've noticed that in commercials..so many make older people seem dumb,dense whatever you call it.  A laundry commercial really po's me.  They hold up Grannys under pants while folding,Gramps walks in in his underwear. Seems anything goes when speaking of older people. 

I guess the days are over where the "elderly" were respected.  I think EVERYONE should be respected.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I am in my early 60's and occasionally hear some young person call me old.  

I always say " I am the same age as you, one day older than yesterday". I walk away while they are processing that statement.

Good one, @Carmie.  I will have to remember that.