Trusted Contributor

Re: ALL PEOPLE IN THEIR 70'S AREN'T READY FOR A ROCKING CHAIR

As the saying goes, YOU ARE AS YOUNG AS YOU FEEL. They just had the Peach Tree 10K and the oldest man in the race was 103 and the oldest woman was 98.

Respected Contributor

My grandfather went to the gym daily to swim until he got sick at the age of 92. I always said i wished I had his energy at whatever age I was at the time.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

A lot has to do with genetics. If you suffer from chronic illness, no matter what you do you won't have the kind of endurance someone healthy has. When I watched "Steel Magnolias" it perfectly described my life regarding when Sally Field said her daughter could never run a marathon. I am not complaining but it is a fallacy to think mind over matter works for everyone. There are vast differences in people's health.... 

@Trinity11  I agree that mind over matter doesn't work for everyone, but ATTITUDE about what you have been given is everything.  My husband had cancer for 10 years.  He did chemo for most of those years.  During that time he had days of dragging himself to get through the day.  BUT when people would ask how he was or how he was doing, he always had a smile on his face and said "Great!".  We saw a lot of people that were a lot worse off.  During this time he never had to take a leave from work. Ultimately he was cured by a successful bone marrow transplant.  The Lord has blessed us in this life and the life to come.  My DH is one of those that has a good attitude and fortitude to carry him through.  I know that isn't the case with everyone.  I am thankful I married one that has these attributes. Smiley Happy

I am sorry you have difficulties in life.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you. I am one of the lucky ones to still be alive with Type 1 diabetes after about 50 years. After 2 heart attacks in less than a year, I am slightly less active but push myself to the limit. Like your husband, I survived cancer ...almost 30 years later I am blessed to still be here but like everyone I do get my days... A rocking chair looks good to me. LOL Just happy to be alive to rock in it…

@Trinity11  You rock on, girl!  You deserve it!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I'm in my 60s and enjoy relaxing in my rocking chair out on the deck.  Guess I'm "pushing 70".

Too funny, @deepwaterdotter.  Sense of humor, a sign of youth! Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@tends2dogs...I was the OP about cleaning the apartment of adult child...my husbands daughter, my step daughter.  He is 77 this year, I am 62...I don't see him as ready for a rocking chair either!

My concern for him was it was hot, he was stressed about dd and he has a-fib....he on meds for it but it comes and goes.

He is a worrier by nature and so I was concerned for his health.  I did a lot of the heavy lifting those 3 days but he was with me the entire time and did a lot of work as well. He also still works full time, because he enjoys the work (self employed).  I am glad my 70+ year old is not ready for the rocking chair!

@Mom2Dogs  I am glad you wrote on here!  Believe me, I was one of the few in your corner.  I had a long post written and then it dropped.  I didn't have time then to rewrite it.  Anyway, the comments about not nagging or hasseling your husband because of his age really got to me.  I don't know how long you have been married, but believe me if I was in your position, I would have told my DH exactly how I felt about the situation.  We have been together almost 40 years and I have never held back telling him my opinion nor has he held back letting me know his.  That is how we have made it.  I didn't get the impression you were harping on this,  just "talking out" the situation.  I am glad that you don't have to handle your self employed DH with kid gloves.

I hope the situation with his daughter works out for the better.  No matter how "old" we get, we never stop being parents to our children.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

A lot has to do with genetics. If you suffer from chronic illness, no matter what you do you won't have the kind of endurance someone healthy has. When I watched "Steel Magnolias" it perfectly described my life regarding when Sally Field said her daughter could never run a marathon. I am not complaining but it is a fallacy to think mind over matter works for everyone. There are vast differences in people's health.... 

@Trinity11  I agree that mind over matter doesn't work for everyone, but ATTITUDE about what you have been given is everything.  My husband had cancer for 10 years.  He did chemo for most of those years.  During that time he had days of dragging himself to get through the day.  BUT when people would ask how he was or how he was doing, he always had a smile on his face and said "Great!".  We saw a lot of people that were a lot worse off.  During this time he never had to take a leave from work. Ultimately he was cured by a successful bone marrow transplant.  The Lord has blessed us in this life and the life to come.  My DH is one of those that has a good attitude and fortitude to carry him through.  I know that isn't the case with everyone.  I am thankful I married one that has these attributes. Smiley Happy

I am sorry you have difficulties in life.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.

@tends2dogs

You can't judge people with a chronic illness by your husband, they are two different things.

Many people with a chronic illness are doing well if they can get out of bed in the morning.  They never know when the next life-threatening ride to the hospital will come, and yet...

When you ask them how they are, most will answer, "Fine" and smile.

@Noel7  But that was exactly the point I was making.  BTW there were many days he was doing well just getting out of bed.  He had many life threatening trips to the hospital during that time.  Chronic illness - cancer (for ten years) I really don't see the difference.  We didn't know that this cancer would end with a transplant when he was diagnosed 10 years before.  We were only told they would try to control it with chemo.  I would say that was pretty "chronic".

I marvel at how sick people persevere.  My husband told me that "you just get used to feeling bad."  My heart goes out to all the people that are living feeling bad.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Speaking of aging...

The local news last night featured an up and coming event in SF.  They're going to have some kind of skateboarding contest down the steep hills of SF, like a mile long.  Traffic stopped of course.

They featured one of the men who will be in it, he was amazing  how fast he rode down those hills, and at times he was skimming, squatting down with his face almost on the ground and going FAST, FAST, FAST.

He is 85 Heart

That is awesome!

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

I think it is wonderful that people are able to keep active and enjoy doing things they love as they age.  This last weekend I was at an agility trial with my dogs and a 96 year old woman was there running her dog on the course.  Neither were the fastest out there, but they were having fun together.

@CrazyDaisy  And really isn't that all that matters - the enjoyment?  Both dog and handler with happy hearts - priceless.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs

Here's the local news video of Ziggy going down the hills, you will love it.

My mistake, I said skateboarding, he's skating.

http://abc7news.com/sports/85-year-old-daredevil-barrels-down-nob-hill-in-stunning-feat/2190668/

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs

I put up the Scottish cow photos for you on your line about deer.