Honored Contributor

Re: ALL PEOPLE IN THEIR 70'S AREN'T READY FOR A ROCKING CHAIR

I'm in my 60s and enjoy relaxing in my rocking chair out on the deck.  Guess I'm "pushing 70".

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

A lot has to do with genetics. If you suffer from chronic illness, no matter what you do you won't have the kind of endurance someone healthy has. When I watched "Steel Magnolias" it perfectly described my life regarding when Sally Field said her daughter could never run a marathon. I am not complaining but it is a fallacy to think mind over matter works for everyone. There are vast differences in people's health.... 

@Trinity11  I agree that mind over matter doesn't work for everyone, but ATTITUDE about what you have been given is everything.  My husband had cancer for 10 years.  He did chemo for most of those years.  During that time he had days of dragging himself to get through the day.  BUT when people would ask how he was or how he was doing, he always had a smile on his face and said "Great!".  We saw a lot of people that were a lot worse off.  During this time he never had to take a leave from work. Ultimately he was cured by a successful bone marrow transplant.  The Lord has blessed us in this life and the life to come.  My DH is one of those that has a good attitude and fortitude to carry him through.  I know that isn't the case with everyone.  I am thankful I married one that has these attributes. Smiley Happy

I am sorry you have difficulties in life.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you. I am one of the lucky ones to still be alive with Type 1 diabetes after about 50 years. After 2 heart attacks in less than a year, I am slightly less active but push myself to the limit. Like your husband, I survived cancer ...almost 30 years later I am blessed to still be here but like everyone I do get my days... A rocking chair looks good to me. LOL Just happy to be alive to rock in it…

Honored Contributor

Trinity11 Inspiration post! True so true. We never know how much time anyone including ourselves has left. Often reflect upon my life. What unbelievable circumstances survived, Fact I'm here alive enjoy GD family & friends. Two years ago ex husband passed suddenly 60 years old. Realized how short life is and not to live in the past. Yes! Guess my wake-up call. Today each day make a point to spend time with what's most important to me. Life is not a dress rehearsal. Until proven otherwise plan not to make any moment not count. Thanks for this thread.💜
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs...I was the OP about cleaning the apartment of adult child...my husbands daughter, my step daughter.  He is 77 this year, I am 62...I don't see him as ready for a rocking chair either!

My concern for him was it was hot, he was stressed about dd and he has a-fib....he on meds for it but it comes and goes.

He is a worrier by nature and so I was concerned for his health.  I did a lot of the heavy lifting those 3 days but he was with me the entire time and did a lot of work as well. He also still works full time, because he enjoys the work (self employed).  I am glad my 70+ year old is not ready for the rocking chair!

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

A lot has to do with genetics. If you suffer from chronic illness, no matter what you do you won't have the kind of endurance someone healthy has. When I watched "Steel Magnolias" it perfectly described my life regarding when Sally Field said her daughter could never run a marathon. I am not complaining but it is a fallacy to think mind over matter works for everyone. There are vast differences in people's health.... 

@Trinity11  I agree that mind over matter doesn't work for everyone, but ATTITUDE about what you have been given is everything.  My husband had cancer for 10 years.  He did chemo for most of those years.  During that time he had days of dragging himself to get through the day.  BUT when people would ask how he was or how he was doing, he always had a smile on his face and said "Great!".  We saw a lot of people that were a lot worse off.  During this time he never had to take a leave from work. Ultimately he was cured by a successful bone marrow transplant.  The Lord has blessed us in this life and the life to come.  My DH is one of those that has a good attitude and fortitude to carry him through.  I know that isn't the case with everyone.  I am thankful I married one that has these attributes. Smiley Happy

I am sorry you have difficulties in life.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.

@tends2dogs

You can't judge people with a chronic illness by your husband, they are two different things.

Many people with a chronic illness are doing well if they can get out of bed in the morning.  They never know when the next life-threatening ride to the hospital will come, and yet...

When you ask them how they are, most will answer, "Fine" and smile.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

Very cute post, Tendstodogs.  You started an interesting discussion--  I can see the viewpoint of each poster.  A complicated issue, for sure...

@Oznell  I,too, can see each poster's viewpoint.  I said it is an individual thing that takes in many factors....health, genetics, personality, predicaments of life, and so on and so.....

It is interesting to see what everyone does with the hand they are dealt.

@tends2dogs

I don't think you will see it, not unless you know someone intimately who has a chronic illness. 

Most are doing what they have to do to get through the day, and most have learned not to complain, just to say "Fine" and soldier on. 

You have no idea, and that's not your fault, I'm just giving you the reality.

Honored Contributor

Speaking of aging...

The local news last night featured an up and coming event in SF.  They're going to have some kind of skateboarding contest down the steep hills of SF, like a mile long.  Traffic stopped of course.

They featured one of the men who will be in it, he was amazing  how fast he rode down those hills, and at times he was skimming, squatting down with his face almost on the ground and going FAST, FAST, FAST.

He is 85 Heart

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs  I agree about attitude.  There are boku studies out there that support mind/body healing along with emotions and spirituality. 

If we keep a healthy spirit, so to speak, it CAN follow that our health, both physical and mental, will benefit tremendously.

Even those with deblitating illnesses can benefit from such practices as mindful based stress reduction.  While not a "new" concept, this has been gaining so much attention especially since Jon Kabat-Zinn began clinics at UMass Medical.

There are so many wonderful people who have worked to spread the concept of mind/body healing. 

Some of my own personal favorites, and I have worked with some, are:

Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D., Rachel Naomi Remen, MD, Brian Luke Seaward, Ph.D., Angeles Arrien, Ph.D. (who also promoted environmental healing) and so many others too numerous to list.

One of the most important things I have seen dealing with ill loved ones is that they benefit so much more from doctors who treat the PERSON and not just the disease.

We boomers have also been more aware of healthy life styles than our parents; the warnings about smoking is a good example.  We are more aware of environmental issues and health and there are many more programs and assistance for this aging population.

So it's true that older ages are the "new" younger ages, if you will.

I wish everyone here who deal with illness/disability themselves or with loved ones much healing as whole persons.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

My mom was a very active 72 until she got cancer. 

Her sister is 70 and still drives to Oklahoma from Texas to take care of her grandson when the daycare is closed. She works in her garden and does a lot. Her husband, my Uncle also trims trees, mows and they take care of their 44 year olds daughter yard as she works a lot out of town. They love to do it and say they will continue to enjoy and do the things they love, which includes driving to Lousiana to gamble. They don't look to be in their 70's but they are.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it is wonderful that people are able to keep active and enjoy doing things they love as they age.  This last weekend I was at an agility trial with my dogs and a 96 year old woman was there running her dog on the course.  Neither were the fastest out there, but they were having fun together.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.