Honored Contributor

country music icon Alan Jackson revealed that he has been diagnosed with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, a degenerative nerve condition.

Speaking with Jenna from the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in Nashville, Jackson, 62, opened up about the condition, which has been affecting his ability to walk. He was diagnosed with CMT ten years ago.

"I have this neuropathy and neurological disease," Jackson said. "It's genetic that I inherited from my daddy ... There's no cure for it, but it's been affecting me for years. And it's getting more and more obvious. And I know I'm stumbling around on stage. And now I'm having a little trouble balancing, even in front of the microphone, and so I just feel very uncomfortable."

The condition affects the peripheral nervous system and causes balance problems by compromising smaller, weaker muscles in the body's extremities. However, the illness does not alter life expectancy.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I was saddened to read about this yesterday online.  My heart goes out to him, and I hope that his degenerative process advances so slowly that his body gives out to very old age before this disease can take its full toll.

He is a fine musician.  Prayers for his well-being.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, that's too bad.  He's part of that 80s crowd of country musicians that I grew to love, and still do.

Who can forget "Chattahoochee", water skiing in the ripped up blue jeans?  He was the trend setter!

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Thanks, OP for the info.  I am sad to hear this about him as he seems to be a very kind, compassionate person and down to earth.

Many years ago, I went to a concert and he performed, but this was in his "early days".  Love his music.

Honored Contributor

I was so sad to read about that. I'm not a huge country music fan I've always loved his music, especially his hymns. Best wishes to him. 

Honored Contributor

I remember one time at a Country Music award show...

the producers told George Jones he couldn't sing the song he wanted to...so when Allan  took the stage he sang the the song George wanted to sing but  wasd denied....Heart

..crowd stood up,etc...also   Allan's drummer was pretending to play his drums with out his sticks!

What a ovation Allan got  while getting back at the producers!

George was very proud of what Allan did!

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

@cowboy sam  Now you've got me wondering what the song was and why the producers didn't want it performed.

Honored Contributor

Re: ALAN JACKSON HEALTH

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@cowboy sam  Now you've got me wondering what the song was and why the producers didn't want it performed.

@deepwaterdotter ... here it is...  The song by George Jones was "Choices"

he wasn't allowed to sing it but after Pop a Top, Alan Jackson took care of it..

respectful moment for George Jones..  

Alan Jackson - Pop a Top/Choices - YouTube

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

Re: ALAN JACKSON HEALTH

[ Edited ]

Had the thrill of seeing George Jones perform live at The Great Frederick Fair.  One of a kind.

His "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is one of the best songs of unrequited love ever written and performed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VExw77xJsBQ

[Sometimes I drop syllables.  UNREQUITED LOVE, not requited.]

Respected Contributor

@Suziepeach wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@deepwaterdotter ... here it is...  The song by George Jones was "Choices"

he wasn't allowed to sing it but after Pop a Top, Alan Jackson took care of it..

respectful moment for George Jones..  

Alan Jackson - Pop a Top/Choices - YouTube

A man who is on a mission. Glad his gesture was appreciated by the audience. Sorry to hear this about his health.