Regular Contributor

Re: ABC takes Great American Baking show off air

The show is taped, whu not air it.    Viewers can make their own choice  whether to watch or not.    Granted it is not nearly as good as the British version.   

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

He wasn't fired over these allegations.  He left in 2011.  

If true, then the show must be all re-runs?  (I've never watched it.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just heard PBS has suspended Tavis Smiley.  I've watched his interviews.

Trusted Contributor

Like I've said before, most companies have morality clauses in their contracts.  Those lengthy and thorough clauses state that if the company can prove that an employee's behavior, past or present, brings embarrassment or unwanted attention to the company, the employer has justification for immediately firing that employee.  Airing a show that would feature someone accused of sexual misconduct would be antithetical to the intentions of the morality clause.  There is no "innocent until proven guilty" in these situations.  When you sign a contract, you adhere to the terms and conditions of that contract.  There is no freedom of speech or other civil rights in that bond.  Much like you are limited to what you can say when you sign up to post on these boards, you are subject to similar rules when you sign up to work with a private company.  

Regular Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@nomless wrote:

IMO, It's wrong and dangerous for lives to be disrupted / ruined based only on allegations - which may or may not be true.

@nomless

Are you assuming that some woman comes along, says some man groped her 25 years ago, and their employer just says okay, we'll fire him? 

It should be obvious that not ALL information is being made public.  While you might think there's only one accuser, there may have been MANYcomplaints from women made over the years, and many reprimands that went unheeded, and the guy needs to get the boot.  

You can also bet there were behind the scenes investigating and the corporate attorneys were brought in to discuss the findings.  These firings don't just happen on a whim.

I agree. We are only getting info about the company's/station's actions, not the exact nature of the body of evidence. You can be sure that the corporate lawyers have vetted both the allegations and the rebuttals, since either side has the ability to sue the company. If a guy is getting let go, then there is a preponderance of credible and substantiated complaints to justify letting someone go. There's always going to be someone who will make a charge that is clearly financially or politically motivated right now in this climate, but they can normally be weeded out quickly.

As to them not being prosecuted, there are criminal statutes of limitations, so some can't be criminally charged. Others, like Weinstein, have apparently had investigations quashed by well-placed donations (e.g. to Vance).

Also, we are finally in the midst of a sea change among women where we are finally realizing that we don't have to put up silently with that kind of behavior from male superiors and coworkers in the workplace. How many of us work for small businesses with no recourse to any kind of HR or union assistance? How many of us have been made uncomfortable at the very least by "so-and-so just being so-and-so" and simply trying in the future to avoid that person? Why should female lives have be proscribed that way so many times in the workplace, and have to keep quiet about it to make sure they don't "rock the boat"?

I've had male superiors who've operated under the assumption that the females in the office were their personal playthings. I've also seen complaints about them resulting in the woman getting shifted out of the office, not the male superior being removed/fired - because TPTP placed more importance on him and looked the other way.

Am I sorry to see some of these guys fired or resign? Sure, because I only saw their public persona and find it hard to believe that they could be that stupid. But I believe the women, because I know what went on in all my workplaces over the decades, things that the women just put up with to keep their jobs.

It's way beyond time for the line in the sand to have finally been drawn.

Respected Contributor

I really enjoy the show & sorry to see it end like this.

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

Wow Tinkrbl44 don't yell at people for "making assumptions" when you are making plenty of your own!

@Ladybug724

I'm not yelling at anyone.  ALL CAPS is yelling.

Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

Like I've said before, most companies have morality clauses in their contracts.  Those lengthy and thorough clauses state that if the company can prove that an employee's behavior, past or present, brings embarrassment or unwanted attention to the company, the employer has justification for immediately firing that employee.  Airing a show that would feature someone accused of sexual misconduct would be antithetical to the intentions of the morality clause.  There is no "innocent until proven guilty" in these situations.  When you sign a contract, you adhere to the terms and conditions of that contract.  There is no freedom of speech or other civil rights in that bond.  Much like you are limited to what you can say when you sign up to post on these boards, you are subject to similar rules when you sign up to work with a private company.  

@TenderMercies

Wow ... very well stated!   Based on the comments here, a lot of people are unfamiliar with even the general gist of employment contracts and morality clauses.  You explained it very well.  Good of you to explain this.

Honored Contributor

@Mayfayre

VERY well stated!   Thank you for providing this explanation for others who aren't familiar with how this works. 

I have to ask .... do you have a background in employment law?

Super Contributor

The American version of this British show left a lot to be desired. Prefer the British version!

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mayfayre

VERY well stated!   Thank you for providing this explanation for others who aren't familiar with how this works. 

I have to ask .... do you have a background in employment law?

@Tinkrbl44 I do not have a background in employment law, but I do work in a human resources capacity in one of the many jobs I do for my organization.  In light of recent events, we had to work closely with our lawyers to draw up an extended sexual harassment policy.  The previous one was a couple sentences in our handbook, and now it is several pages.  The more specific an employer can be with the terms of the policy, the easier it is to terminate an employee and have the upper hand if it goes to litigation.