Respected Contributor

Re: ABC's Muted Reaction to Brian Ross's Journalistic Malpractice

I think if there hadn't been the stock market tanking issue, they wouldn't have even "corrected" it.

Respected Contributor

@Maudlynn wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

There should be algorithms in place which automatically shut down the thread when,

- Over 15% of content has been deleted/edited, because
      - 4 post deletions by Moderation
      - 1 post edit by Moderation

....within 3 hours of original posting.

Maybe so. I would assume the thread hasn't been reported enough to attract attention that would shut it down.

It's a Christmas miracle. Of sorts. Smiley Wink

Don't forget to include -  when the facts are offensive.

Honored Contributor

I force myself to watch all the major “news” stations and find dubious reporting on all of them.

Although I didn’t like Mr. Miller when I was in 7th grade, I have never forgotten his meticulous instruction about discerning the contrast between subjective and objective reporting. 

Whether I prefer to believe something or not believe it, I have a pretty good grasp of “truth” vs. “enhanced”. 

Objective thinking is a skill that can be learned, and it never hurts, no matter what one’s focus.

Esteemed Contributor

No matter what your particular beliefs are there is absolutely no room in journalism for “fake news”, period!!

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

There should be algorithms in place which automatically shut down the thread when,

Maybe so. I would assume the thread hasn't been reported enough to attract attention that would shut it down.

It's a Christmas miracle. Of sorts. Smiley Wink

Don't forget to include -  when the facts are offensive.

I think we all know by now that this is the way QVC rolls.....to quote the talented and eccentric Bob Dylan...."ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Honored Contributor

Wasn't his first lie.

ABC can stick their righteous indignation where the sun don't shine.

@Oznell wrote:

The particulars of Mr. Ross's last two instances of misreporting can't be discussed, because of the partisanship involved.  But there is a general principle of reporting at stake.  Even old journalistic hand Jeff Greenfield on CNN has pointed out that Mr. Ross has misreported now on at least three big stories over the years.

First, ABC allowed their response the the most recent 'mistake' to be characterized as a mere "clarification".  Finally, they admitted that a full blown correction was needed, and suspended Mr. Ross for one month.

I believe they are enabling this sort of behavior, and encouraging cynicism about their crediblility and motives.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I disagree, some posters know the "formula" for getting threads shut down.

But only the ones they don't like

Esteemed Contributor

ABC trying to down playing it doesn’t work for some of us. We know what’s up and are paying attention. This is not his first time either. His reporting on Colorado theatre shooting is another example. Too many other places to get news. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Regular Contributor

This wasn't the first time he misrepresented facts.  Regardless that they 'clarified' - he should be terminated.  I question why ABC keeps him as a journalist needs to be trusted in stories they report on.   

Respected Contributor

I remember someone telling me that when reporting the news, DO NOT become the news story.  Seems that he did just that. 

I don't understand that if this is a repeat offense, that he is suspended w/o pay for a month....wow....what is your integrity worth?  He should be forced to leave IMO.  Tells you volumes about the employer, not just the employee.

......You look like I need a drink.....