Honored Contributor

We were traveling on our way home from vacation one summer when a brake shoe flew off an 18 wheeler and got wedged under our car.

Don't know how the 3 of us made it without so much as a scratch on us.

Of course, the car was totaled.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Hey @Icegoddess,

I've seen a lot of "crazy" stuff on my 20 mile Interstate drive to the ice rink, but nothing quite as harrowing as what you described. That calls for a WHEW and THANK YOU to above!

Glad you are alright and hope nobody got hurt from that incident. I am assuming that you skate, right?  Me, I try to get in 3 of the 2 hour sessions every week. Love skating, broken bones be danged!

hckynut(john)

@hckynut, yes I do figure skate, not as much as I used to.  There are 2 rinks within driving distance, but one is more adult friendly than the other and that is where my coach is.  I still hate the drive though.  I try to avoid the interstate spur as much as possible sine my Friday session has me driving during rush hour.  I don't compete anymore either; just didn't enjoy that aspect.  I was all about the costume and always made my own.  Broke my wrist on the 3-turn going into the flip.  Changed over to a mowhawk entrance but I'm still wall-codependent for the flip.  Spinning is my game.  Give me a sit spin any day over any jump.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess

Always good to hear from others that ice skate. I am a hockey guy and know about as much figure skating terminology as most hockey fans know about being a hockey ref(I was for 30+ years). I do know a spin from a jump as there is a young boy(17) figure skater I talk with at the rink. I watch him do "triples", which I know is spinning 3 times during his jumps, but other than the number of spins, I know very little.

My best skating days are behind me, but for an old man going on 80, I can still "pick ''em up and put 'em down" pretty good.

Thanks for sharing your skating story, I just don't know much about the figure skating"jargon", if you will. Stay upright now!!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut,

Yeah, I know nothing about hockey although I have friends from church who love watching the local teams.  A flip is one of the single revolution jumps.  A sit spin is spinning on the ice in a sitting or, as some might say, shoot the duck position.  Spins don't leave the ice unless it's a flying spin.  I'm a spring chicken compared to you though at 60, but I also didn't get started until my mid 30s.  Regardless, it's good exercise and helps us with balance which is often a big problem for older people.  

Keep up the good work

Honored Contributor

Yikes ! scary experience