Esteemed Contributor

Re: A word I've heard a lot this last week/month

I can't stand ads that go against all the recommendations of doctors and scientists (e.g., rent this house for your entire family). I feel for those in the hospitality industry who are suffering (half my family works in the hotel business) but saying on the one hand "in these difficult times" and pushing a dangerous suggestion in an ad are irresponsible.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The word I can't tolerate is 'spendy" or 'lippy'. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette wrote:

What's been bugging me for awhile now, for some reason, is how many interviewees start their response with the word "So...".  Especially in response to a question.

I agree, @Krimpette .  It makes the person sound inarticulate, having to hunt for the next word.  It's a verbal crutch.

Esteemed Contributor

I hate when one item of clothing "goes back to" some other item of clothing, as in "this blue sweater goes back to the printed leggings we saw earlier".

Respected Contributor

I'm sick of "curate."  All it means is "select," "pick," or "choose."  It's often used by the same folks who say "fabrication" instead of "fabric" -- for some reason, they think it makes them sound smarter to use 4 syllables instead of two.  Then there's the misuse of "simplistic" for "simple" -- the two are not synonyms.  And, of course, "where it's at" instead of "where it is."  I'll bet everyone could come up with an endless list...

Respected Contributor

@vsm wrote:

I'm sick of "curate."  All it means is "select," "pick," or "choose."  It's often used by the same folks who say "fabrication" instead of "fabric" -- for some reason, they think it makes them sound smarter to use 4 syllables instead of two.  Then there's the misuse of "simplistic" for "simple" -- the two are not synonyms.  And, of course, "where it's at" instead of "where it is."  I'll bet everyone could come up with an endless list...

I was just about to post the same thing!  "We curate items for you."  I think KS started it. Drives me nuts. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are so many but I'll start with 'marginalized'..., though I might come back with more... And @vsm I am SO with you on curate... And also with many others already mentioned.

Then there are the abbreviations: 'fav' for favorite, when it really should be 'fave' anyway... Then there's 'vacay' for vacation (are we even still taking those)... and leading all the way up to 'frig' for fridge... I'd suggest anyone considering using the latter Google the word before using it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am very bored with someone who frequently says something mean, and then, a friend pops in and says, ‘Well, She, He, It, was just joking.”

When it’s very obviously they were not.

And anyway does the fact that they were joking make it more acceptable?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

What I can't stand are the animal abuse commercials when I'm trying to get the news.

It's like a theme through this whole pandemic.  I started in February with them shivering in the cold, then in the summer they were suffering with thirst, and now they are back in the snow.

Honored Contributor