Honored Contributor

Re: A wake up call to being kind.

I've kind of been watching this, in case more comes out about the story.  

But I can't help but wondering, when somebody does a 'good deed' how much it really WAS about doing something good for somebody else and not so much about just doing it to make themselves look good.  

When they broadcast it, it just sukks all the air out of the notion of a 'good deed' for me.   That's just making it about them and then in the most bodacious cases like this one, it turns out that she wasn't so nice after all.  But she DID decide to make it look like she was.

I'm all for good deeds, but it when people make it all about them, by making it public, the whole 'good deed' part evaporates.

Honored Contributor

Thanks.  I just read the linked info without clicking on the link.  I don't know about buying the gossipers coffee, but, I'd turn around, give them a big smile, and mosey on by.  (Then, when home, I'd take a good long look in my full-length mirror, just to make sure that I'm looking appropriate.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I saw this when it first came out and I found it odd, also.

She looks fine, just like a mom on errands, including the pony tail.  I can't imagine anyone calling her a whale, she looks fine.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

This just popped up on my Pinterest:  http://imgur.com/gallery/aBNtqLr

Some real good deeds (not all recent).

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Interesting story.  I can't imagine someone talking like that about a total stranger.  I can imagine people THINKING those kinds of things, though.

The minute I catch myself doing that, I remember something that I heard in a Joel Osteen sermon: I hit the "delete button."  When he talks about the delete button, he's talking about it in a different context, about negative self-talk.

But I think it applies to situations like this as well.  Just say "delete!"  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

I saw this when it first came out and I found it odd, also.

She looks fine, just like a mom on errands, including the pony tail.  I can't imagine anyone calling her a whale, she looks fine.

I think it depends on where you live.  When I was in New Jersey visiting my grandparents, we were in a "tony" part of town in a very nice cafe/coffee shop.  The women in there looked like thirty-something women who lunch.  The ones whose husbands work in the city and they go to the spa or gym during the day while the kids are at school..that kind of thing. 

Anyway, it was hard not to notice how they inspected other women, including us, when we walked in.  Here am I, from a little town in the PNW, in my fleece, no makeup, short nails.   Smiley Happy  I'm sure they had a lot of "nice" things to say about me. Smiley Happy  heehee

But, I didn't hear any of it.  At least they were polite that way. Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero