Honored Contributor

Some of us belong to gun clubs and practice weekly.

One shot can't kill a crowd.

What ten year old is going to stand behind a man assaulting someone?

If it were actually an assault and you or your child were the victim, you may feel differently.

Valued Contributor

This actually happened to us. We go on walks around our park everyday. One day we could hear a man screaming foul language as we got closer we witnessed a man beating a woman in a car. We immediately called 911 the cops showed up in three minutes. 

He had them both sitting on the curb questing them. They took off together so both must have denied it. I called the police to find out why he didn't get arrested, they informed me that only if the woman admitted she was being beaten or the police saw visible signs like blood they could arrest the creep otherwise it's out of their hands. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

That's why we should go about armed. If it was a Stand Your Ground state, I would have shot him. 

That’s probably why people don’t get involved - fear of being shot by people who would do things like this 

Not to mention, isn't Stand Your Ground for yourself?  You have the right to defend your own life, not someone else's?

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't insert myself into the situation but I certainly would call 911.

We just had a situation here in Cleveland where a man was killed trying to prevent a robbery.  An armed robber was in a store and left.  A bystander went outside and tried to pepper spray him and the robber shot and killed the guy. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

That's why we should go about armed. If it was a Stand Your Ground state, I would have shot him. 

That’s probably why people don’t get involved - fear of being shot by people who would do things like this 

Not to mention, isn't Stand Your Ground for yourself?  You have the right to defend your own life, not someone else's?

Bingo!

Her butt would be arrested and thrown in jail for pulling a stunt like that, especially if she missed and hit or killed an innocent person.

Honored Contributor

I've heard/read numerous police officers say that domestic disturbances are THE most dangerous of all calls.

Honored Contributor

Some need to read the Stand Your Ground law. Not only can you defend yourself but you can defend another person who is in danger. 

Esteemed Contributor
Honored Contributor

Sounds like the classic bystander effect. Now that I’m aware of it I just call 911 not caring if someone else could have called. I was in a situation where no one intervened and I never want to be *that* person. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Some need to read the Stand Your Ground law. Not only can you defend yourself but you can defend another person who is in danger. 

@occasionalrain, thank you. That's why I asked.  I thought it was only to defend yourself.

I just read Ohio's law and saw that you can in fact defend a third party.