Honored Contributor

My daughter told me yesterday that her father’s second wife has been diagnosed with small cell lung carcinoma metastasized to her liver. It is terminal and there is nothing they can do.  My girls’ father died two and one-half years ago. He, of course, was my ex-husband and had been ill for many years.

I had four baby girls with him, and he had one child with with her, a boy.  She is a lovely beautiful woman who always treated my girls lovingly.  I also love her son as if he is my own.  She actually saved my second oldest’s life by jumping into a pool while very pregnant.  I was always so grateful to her and told her so.

There was never any jealousy between us even though she was ten years younger than me and very beautiful.  When I heard the news, my eyes sparked with tears, I just can’t believe it.  My thoughts immediately went to her son, my daughters’ half brother and how devastated he must be.  My heart is breaking.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@LilacTree I'm so sorry! It's wonderful, though, that you were able to have the kind of relationship with her that you did...every ex-spouse and child of divorced parents should be so blessed.

I will keep all of you in my prayers.

Honored Contributor

God  bless her , and lead her safely home.

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree   I’m so sorry to hear such sad news.It’s wonderful that you were able to have such a good relationship with her.That says a lot about your character. Your daughters & her son are lucky to have you.💐

Respected Contributor

@LilacTree   It's beautiful to have had such a positive relationship with your ex's second wife.   I hope there's still a line of communication between you so you can relate to her what you've just told to us.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Think about speaking to her soon, that type of lung cancer, they do not last for very long, my dad,and mil had it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree , how sad to hear this.  I am sure her son will appreciate your support through this difficult period.  Prayers for all of you.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree  It is very sad news and I wish her well as she battles this deadly disease.  What speaks volumes to me is how beautifully your family has handled everything.  Your relationships are what every blended family should strive to achieve.  All of your children are very lucky to have the both of you, and her son will probably rely on you even more.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Lilac Tree,

I am sorry that this wonderful woman with whom you were able to establish and maintain a loving relationship with mutual respect is terminally ill.  You are equally wonderful, showing us how to be our most loving and best selves.

Your daughters and your "son" were fortunate to have two women with love in their hearts and personal dignity as their mothers.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree so sorry to hear about your ex husband's wife's illness, I wish her a peaceful journey. You and your ex were a good example to your daughters putting them first, getting along with the ex's wife and son. One always hopes a step parent loves their child as much as they do, it seems your ex's wife did, you were very fortunate. You can not take the place of your daughter's brother's mom but  when the time comes make him aware that he will always have his sisters and you as his family. God bless everyone.