Honored Contributor

Re: A teacher who is retiring soon...advice???

[ Edited ]

Teaching was a second career for my husband who retired last year at 73. I was able to retire early because he wanted to work. We are debt free and have plenty of income because he worked so long. Actually he's substitute teaching at 74 because he loves to be around the kids and just the atmosphere of the school without having all the pressures and responsibility that goes with it. Good luck with your retirement.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@buyornot wrote:

I'll be retiring from teaching soon and I'd like suggestions that any of you before me have had success with or "watch out for's"...both financially and personally. Tighter $ will be an issueSmiley Sad  I'm both excited and afraid.

@buyornot

Based on others' comments, it looks like you never bothered to meet with a financial advisor.  Is that true?   If so, find one asap.

Ordinarily, it's my observation that most people focus on the financial planning .... but really don't give much thought to what they will do with their time.    

You also didn't say if you are single or have a SO .....  so are you planning for one person .... or two?   

I'd like to share my father's experience ............   

Years ago, when my Dad was nearing retirement, he grew a bit anxious thinking about what he would do with "all that time on his hands".   Yikes!     

Upon retirement, one thing that focused him was that, every evening, he would make his list for things to do the next day.  The next morning he would have his coffee and review his list and get going.    It worked for him.    He liked creating some structure for himself.

His major project?  Being an old car buff, he decided to do some restoration.  First, he expanded his garage from 1 1/2 cars to a 3 car garage, insulated and with a furnace for comfort in the winter months.  Then, he went scouring through Western New York and Pennsylvania, looking for a dilapidated 1930 Model A Ford.     Found one in a field and towed it home.

When he retired, he got to work on his restoration ...  ordering parts and doing one little project at a time.  It took almost 3 years to fully restore it, and later enjoyed taking it to classic car shows, winning over 50 trophies!   

His revelation:    He recalled his fear of not knowing what he'd do with the time.   Later, he reflected that he was SO busy all the time that if he had to go back to work, he had no idea where he would fit it into his schedule!   LOL

Hope this gives you some ideas.    Good luck!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can only speak as someone who observed a career teacher retire a few years ago, and what happened to him.

He dealt with most of the major financial issues before retirement, and his health benefits were secured, so those weren't an issue.

What he hadn't anticipated, but what I knew would be a problem for him, was the sudden vacuum created by no longer being able to go into a classroom and teach his students. As maddening as the bureaucracy had become, the satisfaction he got in teaching his Special Ed students and seeing them graduate turned out to be hard to replace.

After retirement he cast about, traveling to see friends, falling back into a bad relationship, and generally failing to constructively address what I thought of as an "energy shortfall" in his new life. He wound up marrying the woman he'd taken up with again and stopped sculpting something he'd been doing for over 40 years. Although he'll have companionship, he'll also have ongoing money woes, because by his own account, his wife is a certified grifter.

I tell this tale as a caution against making major decisions soon after retiring, and to urge you to find a way to fill the void, however small it might be, that retirement might create in your sense of purpose and even your identity.

Best wishes for this wonderful adventure you're about to embark upon!

Super Contributor

@buyornot

Trusted Contributor

I retired in the dead of winter, I think I stayed pajamas for 3 months, one thing I did miss was talking to women, all guys here at home at the time.

It does cost money to go to work transportation, wear and tear on your car, clothes, your taxes will be less, you will adjust.

I do think I was more organized when I worked, now I can procrastinate.

Enjoy

Trusted Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

I retired in the dead of winter, I think I stayed pajamas for 3 months, one thing I did miss was talking to women, all guys here at home at the time.

It does cost money to go to work transportation, wear and tear on your car, clothes, your taxes will be less, you will adjust.

I do think I was more organized when I worked, now I can procrastinate.

Enjoy

I DID enjoy this-Thanks!!

Trusted Contributor

@Roni18 wrote:

@buyornot Congratulations!  I am an educator also.  I have enough years to retire now but at only about half of my salary.  I am trying to keep going awhile longer. 

Yes-my quandry alsoSmiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I retired from full time teaching four years ago.  My husband and I moved cross country to be closer to our daughters.  We have my pension and two social security incomes, plus I work 19 hours a week for a local library. Don't have to touch our 401k's until we turn 72. So we aren't worried about finances.

I think it is a good idea to have a structure for at least half of your days (e.g. a volunteer or part-time job) but to also let yourself have at least three or four do-nothing days.  You've earned them.  Try to travel before health makes it difficult. Keep active, take up a new hobby, join the Y, there are tons of senior opportunities.  If you miss teaching (and you will) volunteer to teach a craft or local history class--whatever interests you!

Congratulations on your retirement--you've really earned some 'me" time!