Trusted Contributor

Re: A teacher who is retiring soon...advice???

[ Edited ]

Thank you ALL so much-what generous,thoughtful and practical suggestions and encouragement. I'm overwhelmed by your response.

Honored Contributor

Congratulations!  The most important place is where you live?  If it is a home, is it paid off?  An apt.?  Whatever your living arrangements, the rent should be affordable.  You don't want to be strapped to wherever you live.  Everything will fall into place.  Enjoy your retirement.    Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I am not a teacher, but not sure why they would make a difference. For me as a life long blue collar worker, it was/is simple. Financially I pretty much continue the lifestyle I have lived most of my adult life, that being frugal. My money is primarily spent on things we need, not things I want.

Many that retire had no life other than their work, and I have seen many that retired that are completely lost now that they no longer work. Some try part time jobs, which works for some, not for others. 

My retirement date was in 1991 at age 52. My job was something I had to do to live and support myself, nothing else. My activities outside of work were/are my life. For me retirement was simple, do the same things and having much more time to do them.

There were no specific plans I made for retiring as far as what I would do. After 33 years with a company, they offered a buyout and I took it. For me plans were not necessary, I just had more time to do things I the things I like doing.

All I will do is tell you to enjoy being commitment free from however many hours you spent during your days as a working person, regardless of what type of work you were doing. That is a general statement to everyone that retires, not specifically for teachers.

Enjoy!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@pommom wrote:

Congrats!!!  

Retirement:  where every day is a vacation day.

Enjoy!

Yes!  that's exactly how I see it!!  :-)

Honored Contributor

@buyornot

From one retired teacher to a soon-to-be retired teacher, get ready, everyday is Saturday or the first day of summer vacation.

Enjoy. (I know I have)

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

I am not a teacher, but not sure why they would make a difference. For me as a life long blue collar worker, it was/is simple. Financially I pretty much continue the lifestyle I have lived most of my adult life, that being frugal. My money is primarily spent on things we need, not things I want.

Many that retire had no life other than their work, and I have seen many that retired that are completely lost now that they no longer work. Some try part time jobs, which works for some, not for others. 

My retirement date was in 1991 at age 52. My job was something I had to do to live and support myself, nothing else. My activities outside of work were/are my life. For me retirement was simple, do the same things and having much more time to do them.

There were no specific plans I made for retiring as far as what I would do. After 33 years with a company, they offered a buyout and I took it. For me plans were not necessary, I just had more time to do things I the things I like doing.

All I will do is tell you to enjoy being commitment free from however many hours you spent during your days as a working person, regardless of what type of work you were doing. That is a general statement to everyone that retires, not specifically for teachers.

Enjoy!

hckynut(john)

@hckynut, Enyoyed your post as always!  As a former teacher, I knew I could never be happy without being in another people oriented position because I am a "people person".  I thrive with interaction. I already had a position lined up in another area I loved to be in.  Perhaps that is where the reference to teaching comes from as well plus that we seem to retire before other careers.

Esteemed Contributor

First congrats. Second I second to get s certified planner who is also certified in retirement. This will go a long way to making you feel more comfy. I also agree take it slow with spending for a while after retirement. That way you can work things out. My parents will have more income in retirement then while my dad was working. But they still talk about being very careful with spending until everything works itself out. We are also building a new house so that should keep him busy with small projects for awhile.

Valued Contributor

A  dear friend of mine is retiring soon from teaching.  They are moving to N Carolina to raise chickens and run a donut truck!

Respected Contributor

@buyornot Congratulations!  I am an educator also.  I have enough years to retire now but at only about half of my salary.  I am trying to keep going awhile longer. 

Esteemed Contributor

I retired from teaching four years ago when I had a serious work accident.  I will say that these last four years have been some of my best years.  When I was physically able, I started working out at the Y just about every day, and I look and feel better than I have in years.  I also do volunteer teaching at assisted living centers, and I most enjoy just being home and doing whatever I want to do.

I think that the most important things to consider are money and health benefits.  Since you are retiring from a school district, you probably have good benefits.  Hopefully, you have invested in your 403B, along with other types of investments.  If you have a spouse who continues to work, that is probably a plus financially.  Mine still works, so my lifestyle has not changed very much.

I find that I still buy clothes and cosmetics, but most of my clothes are workout clothes and sneakers.  Doing lunch with the girls got old very fast.  We take one very good vacation once a year and we do not have to wait until summer to do that.  Rates are generally better and places are not as crowded.

If you have a financial planner through your district, make sure that you touch base with that person.  Look for discounts for your car and homeowners insurance.  When we started making car insurance payments from our credit union, we automatically received a discount on our insurance, and we also took the defensive driving class for a further reduction.  Depending on your insurance, that class will have a reduced price for you and it can be done online.

When I first retired, the most enjoyable thing to me, along with just being home, was walking out to the mailbox in the middle of the day.  This was something that I always enjoyed in the summer, but now I could do it every day.

Don't get complacent, sit home, and watch tv.  Spend the summer doing what you normally would so if you did not have planning sessions to go to.  Delay a vacation until autumn--it feels great to vacation then.  Watch what you spend the first year, get your doctor appointments, and take good care of yourself.  Everything will fall into place very quickly.

Congratulations and enjoy your life.  You deserve it!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!