QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it's argumentative.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor
I will agree to being very tired of people assuming that the younger generation are dumb, unknowing, uncaring individuals. Perhaps the ones you are familiar with are, but rest assured that is not the case overall. It may be time to step down off your pulpit and listen to the younger generation, you might learn a bit more about them.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Re: A survey on facebook..

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

@dooBdoo   Thanks for finding the apparent source of this so-called "survey". So it's nothing more than an edited video?  Unless the OP cares to tell us where she found this survey, I'll believe you.

You're welcome, @september.  I hope others went to the link and watched the video -- it clearly is the same topic the OP began with, same questions, etc...  In my opinion this is just another bait thread.

JMO, YMMV

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The "survey" under discussion:

"Who Won The Civil War? Tough Question"

http://www.npr.org/sections/theprotojournalist/2014/11/18/364675234/who-won-the-civil-war-tough-ques...

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

dooBdoo....agreed.  or just another reason to be critical of an entire group of people.

As for "finding it on Facebook"...I did read that in the OP.  I asked where on Facebook, since I did a search and came up with no results.  

People put up all sorts of silly stuff on Facebook and probably the majority of it is either false or greatly exagerrated.  

Respected Contributor

@Marianne1 wrote:

gotta wonder how some posts on this thread still remain.

For example:

"But those who responded with their stupid remarks..."

"I was most amazed that a number of black students did not know who won the civil war or what it was fought over." 

Seriously?  Each in their own special way, say too much.  

Maybe it is just me?

No, it's not just you.  The last two remarks are equally as bad.

For some reason a lot of this garbage stays while other, less inciting comments from other people are removed--like our comments are likely to be.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

@Wayne-QVC wrote:

Thank you Wayne, that was just plain OFFENSIVE.

Honored Contributor

When people wonder why there is a generation gap, the perfect example is all these threads about how stupid, silly or selfish the younger generation is. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

That's exactly why I have always said that December  7th will not live in infamy, contrary to what President Franklin D. Roosevelt said.

Even what happened on 9/11 will loose its importance.

Those dates won't have the same meaning to future generations, as it does to those who lived through those important dates.

I think it's because they don't have an emotional connection to those dates.

They may have a distant relative who was at Pearl Harbor, or fought in WWII, or was in N.Y.C., when tragedy happened, but, if they didn't actually know thoses people, then I think it's harder for them to relate to the significance of the dates.

I think when our grandchildren have grandchildren, it'll all be but forgotten.

I don't know if anybody ever watched the segment "Jay Walking" when Jay Leno was hosting the "Tonight Show", but it showed just how dumbed down this country has become.

There are so many wonderful books, fiction and nonfiction, that can make the events and feelings of those historical times come alive for folks who weren't around to experience them.  There are also lots of movies and documentaries that are interesting and informative, too.  

Today, on our local PBS, there have been individual stories of WWII heroes, some told in their own words, others, narrated.  All so interesting and remarkable.

But if they don't have an interest in history, find it dry and boring, I doubt that they will willingly read a book, or watch a movie.

Why do you keep making excuses for people?

I'm not making excuses.

Not everybody finds history to be facinating.

Just like not everybody finds math to be facinating.

Or science.

Or any other subject taught in school.

Some people, wheather anyone wants to admit it or not, finds the subject of history to be dull, dull, dull, and about as interesting as watching paint dry.

It doesn't matter if someone considers something dull. I hate math, always did. But to function in life, there is a basic level of math that is required. Same for science, English and any other thing taught in school. History is no different.

Whaaa Boo Hoo, something is boring, so I'm gonna be an idiot and know nothing or forgive others from knowing even the most basic things about our system of government and past. 

These kinds of surveys, done often and everywhere, just say to me we need to have a basic test to pass before someone should be given the vote. They make you pass a test to drive a car or cut someone's hair, so you don't 'hurt' others. Well, if you can't learn and retain even the most basic information about how our government works, you are a harm to the entire nation, when you cast your vote.

A little history lesson:  There used to be tests given that had to be passed in order to vote.  That kind of test fell into the category of Jim Crow laws.  The potential for harm in instituting such a program again is so great that it makes my head spin, especially given  a recent SCOTUS decision regarding states and voting.

This country doesn't need to go back to those evil days.

I am very well aware of the Jim Crow laws and their effect in this nation. 

So how does one justify all the tests people have to pass to do the most mundane things (and these tests are often mandated by government entities at all levels), but if you can't answer simple grade school questions about your government and leaders and get least get 70% right, you really qualify to elect people to office in this nation.

There is potential for harm in everything, including having a nation full of dumbed down people.

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

Some choose to live in the old days and some chose to move on and progress.

An increasing number of people who know nothing about history or government is not progress in any way.

They are easily duped by charismatic candidates and leaders.