Honored Contributor

My best friend who is 62, is one of the smartest person I know. However,,,, she is not book smart at all. She hated school and learning. She knows exactly how to argue with people and win. She can talk her way out of any situation and figure out any situation. Just saying some people don't care who the VP is.

Respected Contributor

"Not even one correct answer"?  So no one in their twenties could answer one question?  Did Jimmy    Kimmel conduct the survey?

Trusted Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

That's so cool you beat a 12 year old. You must feel very satisfied. 

I'm SURE she does. SAD.

Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

These youth-bashing threads come up so often here.  

Think back to when you were 20 years old. Did you know or care very much about 100 year old history?  Could you have named two SCOTUS?  Did you have details about pop stars of your parents or grand-parents era?   Yes, I had a good working knowledge of the Civil War, but I doubt I could have given you the exact years it was fought when I was 20. I knew who the president and VP were but that's it. I couldn't have named any cabinent members. At 20, I had other things on my mind. It wasn't until later that I started paying attention to that kind of stuff.

You do realize that Jay Leno only puts the dumb answers on TV, don't you?

You do realize that not everything on the internet is true, don't you?

Our generation has it's own "dumbness". 

Science deniers. 

Gossip believers

Blind trust in media accuracy

It's silly and arrogant to expect a 20 year old to be interested in the exact same things I am interested in at 60.  I've got 40 years of experience on them. Their time will come.

No, sorry but these aren't some obscure history questions. Who is the vice prez, who won the civil war and what country did we get our independence from????? EVERYONE should know that. I am sure there are people in their 40s, 50s and up who don't know that either so I don't think it is exclusive to just younger people. I think it is a really sad state of affairs though if a person doesn't know those questions. 

I also don't expect a 20 yr old to have the same interests and I know some people don't get a real interest or appreciate history until they get a little older but this is stuff everyone should know. 

I will agree that everone should know these things.

I'm glad you acknowledge it most definitely isn't just young people who don't know these things, however.  I've seen some pretty amazing gaps in knowledge right here on these boards and the demographic is many, many years removed from age 20.

I doubt many in your age group know why WW1 was fought and which countries participated. I doubt many in your age group know there were two theaters of war in WW2.  The generations preceding yours would shake their heads in disbelief that they don't know about these things that impacted them so strongly.

That was my point. Why expect someone decades younger than you to be interested in the same things you are. Someone here expressed amazement a young person didn't know who Bob Dylan is.  I wonder if that person knew who was a hot star during her grandparents heyday?

~Enough is enough~
Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

That's exactly why I have always said that December  7th will not live in infamy, contrary to what President Franklin D. Roosevelt said.

Even what happened on 9/11 will loose its importance.

Those dates won't have the same meaning to future generations, as it does to those who lived through those important dates.

I think it's because they don't have an emotional connection to those dates.

They may have a distant relative who was at Pearl Harbor, or fought in WWII, or was in N.Y.C., when tragedy happened, but, if they didn't actually know thoses people, then I think it's harder for them to relate to the significance of the dates.

I think when our grandchildren have grandchildren, it'll all be but forgotten.

I don't know if anybody ever watched the segment "Jay Walking" when Jay Leno was hosting the "Tonight Show", but it showed just how dumbed down this country has become.

There are so many wonderful books, fiction and nonfiction, that can make the events and feelings of those historical times come alive for folks who weren't around to experience them.  There are also lots of movies and documentaries that are interesting and informative, too.  

Today, on our local PBS, there have been individual stories of WWII heroes, some told in their own words, others, narrated.  All so interesting and remarkable.

But if they don't have an interest in history, find it dry and boring, I doubt that they will willingly read a book, or watch a movie.

Respected Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

That was my point. Why expect someone decades younger than you to be interested in the same things you are. Someone here expressed amazement a young person didn't know who Bob Dylan is.  I wonder if that person knew who was a hot star during her grandparents heyday?

That's happened to me many times here.  I've never heard of some old famous person or something that happened way before I was born and some people act like I'm stupid with no education at all.  Pretty sad.

Honored Contributor

I find the youth bashing threads here distasteful, plus nobody has brought up the fact that most history books used in US schools are incorrect, lol..

Honored Contributor

Re: A survey on facebook..

[ Edited ]

I wasn't crazy about History classes; although our teacher did say that even though we probably wouldn't be using it,  history always seems to repeat itself, and that if something in our present is beginning to look not-so-good, we should find out what the outcome was in past times (history).  I do believe that studying World History (recalling the rise and fall of various countries/eras/etc.) is probably a good idea.  'Kind of' puts things in perspective.  More or less.   'You know', what worked and what didn't.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

I find the youth bashing threads here distasteful, plus nobody has brought up the fact that most history books used in US schools are incorrect, lol..

I do,too.  My children (and most of their classmates) took AP courses in high school, and could easily answer any of the questions in the OP.

I think some people don't understand what an unbiased survey is. These Facebook and other internet surveys have a motive....  I think it's to make a certain group of people look stupid, when they aren't.  

Esteemed Contributor

What can I say about this "beauty queen?" Check it out for yourself lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPXEdJ_Gtx0

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett