Frequent Contributor

Re: A survey of historians ranks the nation's first ladies

In Cokie Roberts' book Founding Mothers, she quotes a lot of letters written by the wives of the Founding Fathers. One popular topic of discussion was just how handsome and swoon-worthy General Washington was. If he was planning to attend an event, all the ladies would write each other about how they wanted to meet him or dance with him. They certainly gave the impression that he was one of the most desirable men around (and one of the tallest).

I personally am glad to see my favorite First Lady, Dolley Madison, at the top of the list. She's always been very impressive to me. One thing that not many people know is that she lived long enough to have a daguerrotype (an early photograph) taken of her. She was no longer the young beauty, but I can still see the woman who was in the early paintings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileSmiley Very HappyMadison.jpg

Super Contributor

On 2/18/2014 lulu2 said:
On 2/18/2014 RainCityGirl said:

That may very well be, but I was commenting on the snide comments made and aimed at one particular party when it seems to me that just as much was coming from the other party. Of course there were strong first ladies and first ladies devoid of any salient characteristics from both parties. But someone always has to get resentful about a list, which by all appearances is just a survey on any given day. Some can't help themselves. What it all boils down to is that our first ladies have all left impressions and contributions, so perhaps they shouldn't be ranked at all.

My SNIDE remark was not aimed at any one party.

I don't believe I mentioned you in my response to Quackertoo, did I? I know where the snide remarks came from, and it was more than one, as soon as the list was mentioned.

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2014 lulu2 said:

That may very well be, but I was commenting on the snide comments made and aimed at one particular party when it seems to me that just as much was coming from the other party. Of course there were strong first ladies and first ladies devoid of any salient characteristics from both parties. But someone always has to get resentful about a list, which by all appearances is just a survey on any given day. Some can't help themselves. What it all boils down to is that our first ladies have all left impressions and contributions, so perhaps they shouldn't be ranked at all.

My SNIDE remark was not aimed at any one party.

I don't believe I mentioned you in my response to Quackertoo, did I? I know where the snide remarks came from, and it was more than one, as soon as the list was mentioned.

But this was directed at me.

Yes isn't it? But which parties? I see the same thing from the right as from the left, so what's your point?

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/18/2014 Gioiella said:

In Cokie Roberts' book Founding Mothers, she quotes a lot of letters written by the wives of the Founding Fathers. One popular topic of discussion was just how handsome and swoon-worthy General Washington was. If he was planning to attend an event, all the ladies would write each other about how they wanted to meet him or dance with him. They certainly gave the impression that he was one of the most desirable men around (and one of the tallest).

I personally am glad to see my favorite First Lady, Dolley Madison, at the top of the list. She's always been very impressive to me. One thing that not many people know is that she lived long enough to have a daguerrotype (an early photograph) taken of her. She was no longer the young beauty, but I can still see the woman who was in the early paintings.

She was also a widow for over 40 years, almost practically destitute and a frequent guest at the WH dining table.

Super Contributor

Getting back to the list, I'm not a Dem and haven't been for years, but I love MO. I think she's awesome. Of course my all time favorite will always be First Lady Roosevelt.

She happened to be the right woman at the right time for our country. Oddly enough, her DH was not faithful to her, just as so many other husbands who held the Oval Office, but she continued on doing what she was convicted to do. What a service she provided for her country.

Behind every great man is a greater woman! IMO. Smile

Esteemed Contributor

I saw an interesting story on the news today about Pat Nixon. Mr. Nixon depended on her greatly throughout their marriage.

She had to be a very strong woman especially during Watergate and afterward.

Respected Contributor

On 2/18/2014 Lila Belle said:

I saw an interesting story on the news today about Pat Nixon. Mr. Nixon depended on her greatly throughout their marriage.

She had to be a very strong woman especially during Watergate and afterward.

Hi Lila,

Do you remember seeing film clips on the news when she died? How he cried - Really touching. Made me see him differently.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw pics of that today... very sad.

She must have been quite a woman.

Valued Contributor

On 2/18/2014 rondell said:

Getting back to the list, I'm not a Dem and haven't been for years, but I love MO. I think she's awesome. Of course my all time favorite will always be First Lady Roosevelt.

She happened to be the right woman at the right time for our country. Oddly enough, her DH was not faithful to her, just as so many other husbands who held the Oval Office, but she continued on doing what she was convicted to do. What a service she provided for her country.

Behind every great man is a greater woman! IMO. Smile

true and those women are finally getting recognized more and more for their accomplishments.

it's a great time to be a woman and it will be an even greater time for our daughters and granddaughters. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Respected Contributor

On 2/18/2014 Gioiella said:

Thanks so much for the link! Amazing that we have this photo of her.