Honored Contributor

There are many ads for this 'free' face cream, but it goes by many names. It's the same stuff, only a different name. All say 'as seen on Shark Tank.' I believe there are certain famous people shown who use it-I think Kelly Ripa is one. How can they do this? And Shark Tank probably got a bundle for letting them use their name-but that's what they do, isn't it? That's why they're all rich.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

There are many ads for this 'free' face cream, but it goes by many names. It's the same stuff, only a different name. All say 'as seen on Shark Tank.' I believe there are certain famous people shown who use it-I think Kelly Ripa is one. How can they do this? And Shark Tank probably got a bundle for letting them use their name-but that's what they do, isn't it? That's why they're all rich.

I just have to say that I doubt very seriously that Shark Tank agreed to let them use their name.  They wouldn't be involved in a scam like this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A skin care scam again!

[ Edited ]

It's just like all of the "Dr. Oz" ads that were around a few years ago, where the ad would show a picture of Dr. Oz, and would say, "As seen on Dr. Oz!", until he came out and said that he wasn't promoting the ads.

People really need to stop and think, and not be so stupid when it comes to these ad.

Research.

Read everything before you buy!

Don't be so dam gullible.

As P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute".

Also, another famous saying is, "a fool and their money are soon parted".

Don't be that fool.

Honored Contributor

You have to read the fine print on everything.

Look at all the infomercials out there where you get a skincare kit for only $19.99.  What they don't come right out and tell you is that kit is only a 30 day supply and then you are put on auto-ship to get a new kit every X number of days for about 5 times the initial price.

There is a shoe company I think called "Just Fab" and when you order from them,  you are enrolled in some monthly shoe program where they charge your card and automatically send you shoes. 

The same goes for that line of workout wear by Kate Hudson.  Ordering enrolls you in a monthly program to receive workout wear and your card automatically charged.

All this is in teeny tiny fine print a lot of people don't bother to read. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

I wiould never pay for a free trial/sample of anything! They'll get your credit card number and you're done!!! Free should mean free.

@ID2

I absolutely agree with you.  Their pitch is usually that the product is free, you just pay for the shipping ..... and they ask for your credit card to cover just that cost.      

Yeah, right.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I go by the tried and true saying, "If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is."

I also remember what my mother told me, "There is no such thing as a free lunch"

Always, always, always read the fine print, and when you do, you will see the catch.

Basically stop and think and use common sense.

@Plaid Pants2   and @Lipstickdiva  On similar types of free offers on TV ads, it is never possible to read the fine print. First, it's too fine to read, and second, if flashes by too quickly.

Stay away from those offers, for sure!

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

I just have to say that I doubt very seriously that Shark Tank agreed to let them use their name.  They wouldn't be involved in a scam like this.

So how do they get away with it?

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

So how do they get away with it?

I would assume either Shark Tank doesn't know or hasn't decided to sue them yet to have them take it down.  I would say with 99.9% certainty, though, that they haven't agreed to let them use their name when it's not a Shark Tank product.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My father-in-law fell for this (or a similar thing).  I heard about it from mother-in-law (who was the intended recipient.)  He was able to work it out with the bank to stop the $$.  Crazy.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only charge purchases on my credit card for QVC, Walmart, Costco -- and a few honest companies that I'm familiar with. Once they have ur credit card number - it's in their hands. A few years ago, I ordered an alarm clock from 4alarmclocks dot com. It cost $70. + tax. They sent me a broken clock and I had to jump thru hoops with my credit card company - and finally the charge was reversed. This is a SCAM company - I just checked - and they're still in business. You can find endless complaints on their Facebook- including mine.