Esteemed Contributor

A simple question about Kitchen Aid mixing bowls?

Can someone tell me if the metal mixing bowl for the Kitchen Aid mixer is much lighter in weight than the glass one ?

I LOVE my Kitchen Aid BUT I can barely lift that glass bowl anymore "to pour and scrape the batter out." (In fact I cant lift the whole mixer, my husband has to or if my grandkids are here it takes 2 of them to lift it). PS) I keep it underneath a built in counter section.

Anyway Im thinking of getting a metal bowl and using it instead of using the glass one. IF the metal is lighter. That would help.

TIA.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

Re: A simple question about Kitchen Aid mixing bowls?

Yes. No matter what size, the metal bowl is much lighter than the glass. Smile

Trusted Contributor

I've always found KA customer service helpful. Perhaps you could give them a call and ask them to provide the weight info on the bowl you're considering.

1 (800) 541-6390
Hours of Operation Mon-Fri: 8 a.m.–8 p.m. EST
Honored Contributor

Yes. I have a KA. The metal is much lighter plus you do not have to worry about breaking it.
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, I kind of figured metal would be lighter than that thick glass bowl but thought Id check. Im going to get one. And thanks for the CS information number also.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

You could go to a store first and hold one to see if it's any improvement over the glass bowl. I have a 6QT mixer with the stainless steel bowl and it seems lighter than a comparable glass bowl I have, but "heavy" is sort of relative to each person. I know even the lightest bowl is difficult to lift for some people that have arthritis or joint pain issues. I would hold one first before purchasing it online.

Super Contributor

It stands to reason the glass would outweigh the metal by 5 to 1 easily. Maybe more.