Honored Contributor

A shout-out to a worker who went above and beyond

Not just any worker but a USPS supervisor.

I'd begun to have packages sent to another town that has a similar name as mine and has only one different digit in the Zip Code. A couple days ago it happened again.

This time I called that other office. Someone answered on the second ring. Wow. No one ever answers at my local post office. This man listened and said he would check it out and call me back. I asked him how long that might take, and he said ten minutes top.

He did indeed call right back and said that he was holding my very package. I knew from past experience that it would still be delayed. Yes, he said that it would probably be a couple days.

Then he asked me again where I live, and I told him. He said that he lived in a town not too far from me. Then he did the unimaginable: He offered to bring it to me after his shift at 5:00. I asked him if he was sure because it was a huge imposition. He would be drivng past his place for about ten miles to arrive at my house. He said it would be fine.

I told him to knock so that I could give him a little something  He said that that was not necessary but that he would call when he arrived. He did, and I tried to give him a gratuity, but he wouldn't have it.

Remember people like John, a government worker who took almost two hours out of his day after work to bring a customer one measly package. I certainly will.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: A shout-out to a worker who went above and beyond

It's wonderful to read this. If he has a supervisor I hope you'll contact that person and praise this man to the skies!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Wow!  That's an amazing story.  I do hope your mail situation gets straightened out.  No one ever answers the phone at my post office either.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 I think you owe this guy a batch of cookies or brownies.  When we so often hear people throwing brick bats at postal workers, it's nice to hear of someone who's so conscientious. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3, isn't is wonderful when people show such unexpected kindness.  I agree with @Kachina624.   I would bake some cookies and take them.  It would be good for the other employees to see how appreciative people can be when such a kindness is extended.

I do hope that everything is now straightened out for you.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Thanks, all. I do think that government employees suffer from a stereotype. There seem to be as many helpful, efficient ones as in the private sector. At least, that is my experience.

This employee's post office is more than 40 miles away, and he was quite adamant about not wanting anything in return.

I did think about leaving a stellar review on Yelp, but then I had a thought. What if he actually is not supposed to what he did? Who knows? Could be a liability issue.

So I think what I will do is give him that review without mentioning that he delivered a package on his own.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3  Good for him and you!!

I just contacted the corporate offices to give kudos to a grocery worker 'Roger', who is the best-great attitude and so helpful.

He went looking for me in a hot Southern summer parking lot to give me a package I had left behind.

Did I mention on this horrendously hot afternoon that he has a disability and must use a cane to get around?

I told his supervisor how impressed I was and then I contact corporate offices to do the same.

It's tough out there! I try to give a simple kindness at least once a day.