Respected Contributor

Re: A shocking T Shirt available on Zulilly!

$ $ $

Esteemed Contributor

There are so many cute clothes out for childen, I would never buy a shirt like that, PLUS I hate those sleeveless wife beater shirts, period.

Frequent Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

There are so many cute clothes out for childen, I would never buy a shirt like that, PLUS I hate those sleeveless wife beater shirts, period.

I hate that they're called "wife beaters," that's not good. 

Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

My grandbaby has a sleeveless onesy with this saying on it. The baby's biceps are adorable.

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

Even if the intended meaning of "guns" in this case are the arms/biceps, it is a very ill-advised message to have on a child's tee shirt.  Children only know one definition of guns unless the other slang definition is pointed out to them.  I hope they remove the product.

I'd rather teach my child or grandchild that some words have multiple meanings and that context and speaker's intent are important.

During the early days of the 20th century, "legs" could only be used to describe furniture, and never a body part, lest some maiden be offended. 

I find "weapons" used against others horrifically offensive. "Biceps"? Not nearly so much.

Honored Contributor

@beautiful_dreamer wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

Smiley Sad

image.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@beautiful_dreamer wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

Smiley Sad

image.jpeg

I wonder how those shirts got that name?  I guess I could google it but.....

Esteemed Contributor

from Google:

Tank top style undershirts for men are called "wife-beaters" because they appear in a lot of American movies from the 30s and 40s in which uncouth (often ethnic working-class) husbands wear them while abusing their wives physically and/or emotionally.