Honored Contributor

Re: A regret, and an honest look in the mirror

A regret yes, but a look in the mirror?

That would be someone who never does anything kind, doesn't even cross their mind.

It's a shame someone didn't tell the man he could've bypassed the line for his mother's sake.

Or the persons in the line around you didn't offer up their spot.

Honored Contributor

@Kalli   Your regret  for not giving him your spot was as lovely as if you had given him your place in line.  

Honored Contributor

@Kalli 

I know this won't solve your feelings of regret but maybe if you just do some random act of kindness for someone unexpectedly that will help ease your conscience...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Kalli 

It is a brave, and honest person who ‘can take her heart out and 

stare it in the face.’  I sincerely admire you for it.  Sometimes we

do disappoint ourselves, acknowledgement helps us be more aware of our actions in the future.  

I hope you will forgive yourself as you would others. 🌹 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

When I worked at the polls, we were told that if someone was handicapped, they could either go to the head of the line, or we would go to their car and allow them to vote there.

That is exactly what happened at our polling place. An older man with a cane was dropped off and I am guessing his son was helping him. One of the ladies handing out sample ballots, pointed the older man out to the "greeter". And he was taken right inside to vote.

This is the first time we had a "greeter". Two different wards vote in the same school cafeteria. So the "greeter" made sure you were standing in the correct line.

Kalli - Please do not beat yourself up about the incident. My husband's younger sister got polio from getting the polio vaccine. She spent many months in the hospital, went to a special school and had her life dictated by having polio. All she ever wanted was to be treated like a "regular" person. She learned to adjust and pretty much was able to do most of the same things we did.

I honestly think she would have been fine standing at the back of the line. Now I do want to add that now that she is close to 70 years old, she has trouble with her leg muscles especially the ones affected by the polio. But this trouble is brought on by aging..

So maybe the handcapped person was not looking for special treatment. Maybe he was fine with the situation.

Honored Contributor

@Kalli 

Nah ....  his mom was in a warm car, and I'm sure she got to vote.

Okay, so that incident caught you being a little complacent .... maybe making you ready to help the next person who needs help, and might not have a warm car to wait in.  

Now, you are ready for what comes along ....

Respected Contributor

Thanks to all for your kind remarks! You’ve made me feel better. And I’ll definitely be quicker to respond the next time!