Honored Contributor

Re: A really sad scamming story told to me today.

@Pook wrote:

Other than a person having dementia and diseases like that, I just cannot understand why they do not contact the son or grandchild to verify.  They could just agree to do what was asked then make a few phone calls to family to verify.  It's so heartbreaking to hear these stories.

@Pook  Many older people are scamed in different ways. My Mom was “played” after purchasing a skin cream and didn’t realize she’d agreed to get monthly deliveries. She had given them her VISA number, email address, etc. I had to call the company and threaten to report them if all mailings were not ceased immediately. 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for posting this story.  We need to know and I will be posting on my next door neighboorhood page.  KNOWLEDGE is power and people do prey on the elderly!!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

The money these scammers make from uneducated people is alarming.....no wonder it is getting worse...

My educated friend fell for a scam. He is a lawyer. Someone called and wanted to “fix/clean up” his computer over the phone. They locked up his computer until he went to Walgreens and bought a $400 Visa gift card. He computer was held hostage. The local police couldn’t care less. 

OP’s story is sad.  25k in WakMart gift cards? Really?  They are traceable. How did the scammer know the son was actually out of town?

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

The money these scammers make from uneducated people is alarming.....no wonder it is getting worse...

My educated friend fell for a scam. He is a lawyer. Someone called and wanted to “fix/clean up” his computer over the phone. They locked up his computer until he went to Walgreens and bought a $400 Visa gift card. He computer was held hostage. The local police couldn’t care less. 

OP’s story is sad.  25k in WakMart gift cards? Really?  They are traceable. How did the scammer know the son was actually out of town?

@scatcat  Probably social media...the same way that Kim K had been shown w/ her millions of dollars in jewelry and was later robbed at gun point in Paris. 

Contributor

A burner phone is a great idea. We're moving soon and going to be selling a lot of stuff. I'm definitely going to use that tip!