Trusted Contributor

Re: A really sad scamming story told to me today.

This is the reason I do not answer the phone if I don't recognize the number.  I still can't believe how many people fall for these. Every couple months the police are on our local new programs warning people of these scams. 

Criminals know they can prey on people's emotions.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mom got a call from a “lawyer” that my daughter was in prison and needed $9600 to get out.  Cash of course sent by ups.  Of course she was sworn to secrecy but my daughter happened to call her as the money was going to be picked up. We had a hard time convincing her it as a scam. Why she did not call us and does not have dementia is because she felt a bit honored that my daughter was reaching out to only her. We had to make her realize that her ego was in the way. None of us would call her, we’re all married with husbands who can help and we do nothing bad to end up in jail. My daughter was upset that her grandma would believe a stranger. 

Honored Contributor

My MIL got a scam call similar to this. Her phone call was suppose to be her grandson needing money so he could get back home. She said even though the person on the phone sounded like her grandson she did not fall for it since he's deceased.

The elderly get scammed a lot because some have dementia etc & are not thinking straight so it happens. Sad but true. 

Honored Contributor

Yeah, that's another scam that is as old as the hills.  It's so old, it's become an urban legend.   Not many seniors today would fall for such an obvious scam and the few who aren't exactly "with it" cannot be warned against such things.  They lack the comprehension.  

Contributor

I hope you reported the incident to your local police. There is technology out there called Voice Imprint technology which crooks, scammers use. Your voice is digitzed (don't ever do a phone survey..unscrupulous people (not legitimate telemarketers) record your voice and create a digital version of you.This technology is very similar to that of modern church organs. In the past churches would have to install pipes up to 32' high to make the organ sound.. Now the exact sound you heard from a 'real' pipe organ is digitally created at much less expense. So yes indeed it is totally possible you heard your grandson's voices. 

Esteemed Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

Criminals know they can prey on people's emotions.

That's exactly what it is.  Many times common sense flies out the window because people are shocked, and fearful for their loved ones.  Their only focus is on keeping the loved one safe.  That's what makes the crime especially horrible, IMO.  It's not just taking hard-earned money - It's the emotional component of frightening people in the worst way possible by making them fearful for those they love most.

Honored Contributor

Where/how did this scam artist find out about the son/grandson/wife etc. etc. being out of the country?  I understand scam calls, but most have a "general topic" with which to scam, and knowing the whereabouts of a family member? Usually not 1 of them.

I use my phone's Smart Call Block, it stores 1,000 names/numbers. If that number/name is not in my phone directory, it does not ring. On occasion I turn it off just to answer a few scammers to entertain myself, at their expense(time wasted where they might find a fish that bites).

A lot of sad stories out there for sure, but being a senior or elderly and scammed, is much better than many of them. Empathy, yes, sympathy,  I save that for the defenseless animals of the world.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

What I find confusing about the OP’s story is that the scammer apparently kept calling back. I’ve never heard of this before and therefore seems a little false to me. This type of scam is usually one and done as people usually talk to the family member afterwards or otherwise hear they are fine.

My aunt and uncle fell for this years ago, when it was first getting started. Said they got a call from their grandson and he seemed to know a lot about them (possibly from Facebook??) Anyways, they kept my aunt on the phone while my uncle was getting the money requested so she wouldn’t have the opportunity to call her daughter or grandson directly. Actually didn’t even know they were scammed until a few weeks afterwards when they asked the grandson when was he going to pay them back.
Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

I cannot believe people fall for these scams. Sad indeed.

I can believe that they do, and very easily. 

It is usually older people. Many come from a generation where there was the ability to trust, especially people in positions of authority or highly educated. 

I see it with my own mom is some ways. For instance, my mom sees doctors as gods. In her reality, they have so much education, and are very smart. What they say must be done, because they know what they are doing. And if she doesn't do what they say (take this medication, have this procedure etc.) they might get mad and not treat her. 

I have to really talk to her about the fact that she is in control of her healthcare, she shouldn't do anything she has questions or doubts about, can easily seek another doctor or a second opinion.

And this hasn't just happened in her old age. She has been like this my whole life. Putting too much faith in someone because of their title. She has always been terrified of the IRS and making any kind of mistake on her taxes, so I could have seen her falling for those scams, but I've pointed out all of them as they pop up. She has gotten into the habit of running anything past me before she answers, commits, signs, or completes anything that isn't routine and well known to her. Not everyone has someone they can or are comfortable going to and running through these kinds of things with. They are reacting out of fear, most of the time, and the scammers are banking on their fear.

I can easily see how especially older people, or people who were raised to respect and follow authority figures can be scared by these things, and people who don't use, follow, or are uncomfortable with today's technology just assuming they need to do things that an authority figure tells them.

Honored Contributor

I heard a special detective, who deals with these and other scams, say that it’s important if anyone calls you that you don’t know, don’t speak and hang up immediately. Why? Even if they ask “Is this Mrs. Smith” & you answer “Yes”, they have your voice saying yes on a recording. The more words you say, the more chance they have to put these words together and use them as a scam on you or loved ones...with your actual voice. 

My tv screen shows who’s calling before I answer the  phone. Don’t recognize the name/number, I don’t answer. If I think it’s someone I need to speak to, I let them do the talking first. I say nothing until I’m sure it’s a legitimate call.