Honored Contributor

I don't think any of these blocking devices work for a cell phone.  I no longer have a landline but I now get a ton of these spam calls on my cell phone.

I was watching GMA I think last week and there is an App you can download that will take care of these calls.  I'm going to look into it.

Honored Contributor

You can get a paid version of No Ro Robocalls for your phone.

I get so many calls that I have my phone set up for calls from people on my phone list only

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, we have gotten a variety of scam calls, but, the one we just received, is a doozy.  A man with a foreign accent just left a message stating that our Medicare coverage would be cancelled unless we call a certain number within 24 hours to confirm our Medicare id.

These scammers are outrageously brazen!

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't think any of these blocking devices work for a cell phone.  I no longer have a landline but I now get a ton of these spam calls on my cell phone.

I was watching GMA I think last week and there is an App you can download that will take care of these calls.  I'm going to look into it.

@Lipstickdiva 

Good luck with that blocking AAP on your cell phone, after I block some numbers, the same numbers still get through...I just dont answer them....numbers still get through after they've been blocked I think it's because the scammers spoof numbers now......Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Cats3000  Thank you for starting a very timely and informative thread.

Super Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@hckynut  @Nightowlz 

As tempting as it is to pick up the phone and talk to the scammers and "yank on their chain" and give them a taste of their own medicine .....picking up the phone and talking to them, or pressing a number to supposedly "opt out" just tells the scammers your number is a live number and then it gets passed on to other scammers....so you get more scam calls.

Doesn't getting your voice mail also let them know it is a good number?  You can't win.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lipstickdiva 

Good luck with that blocking AAP on your cell phone, after I block some numbers, the same numbers still get through...I just dont answer them....numbers still get through after they've been blocked I think it's because the scammers spoof numbers now......Woman Frustrated

@Spurt , I block numbers on my cell all the time using my phones block feature.  If I get a call from a number I don't recognize, I don't answer.  If they don't leave a message or they leave a message that is a scam call or bogus call, I block the number.  I know the blocking feature works because I will get a notification on my phone that a blocked number attempted to contact me.

However, I think they just call from another number, which I then have to block again.  And around and around we go.  The APP in theory is supposed to catch and block robo calls just like nomorobo did with my landline.  The calls are cut off before they ever get through my phone.  That really did work with my landline.  I'm not sure the cell phone app will have the same success rate but I figure it's worth looking into.  

Trusted Contributor

Those "scammers" may be getting away with it now but they will not when they leave this earth one day!

Honored Contributor

@donovan wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@hckynut  @Nightowlz 

As tempting as it is to pick up the phone and talk to the scammers and "yank on their chain" and give them a taste of their own medicine .....picking up the phone and talking to them, or pressing a number to supposedly "opt out" just tells the scammers your number is a live number and then it gets passed on to other scammers....so you get more scam calls.

Doesn't getting your voice mail also let them know it is a good number?  You can't win.

Yeah, that's the problem.  The first thing, of course, is to not answer them and if you have the capability just hit 'block' on your phone or external device.

But if you either answer or let it go to voicemail you have legitimized the number.

What I ended up doing some time back is to just turn voicemail off.   I know that is probably not the most popular choice for some but for somebody like me, without kids or other family for the most part, it is a very palatable choice and gives me some peace.

With phones these days you can still see 'missed calls' so you can call somebody back and not miss that they called.

It's a drag that you have to pay for these services and others can abuse them without anybody out there with power doing something about it because it's all about money going into pockets.