Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

I've had calls about my Microsoft license expiring withing 24 hours if I don't speak with a "tech person".  I just hang up as soon as the recording starts.  My caller ID died (needs new batteries) so I can't see who is calling before I pick up the phone.   

@Catty2 

I get that scam too ....I dont answer my calls and my voice mail screens them on both landline and cell phones...I just delete these messages and my computer hasnt stopped working yet..Sad you cant eventrust caller ID these days since scammers spoof phone numbers now....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Blockers ?     Every scam caller uses a different number and location. Today it was Bakersfield CA - and Chicago - Wash State - Beaverton OR - ILL - New City ? - Philly Pa.  These I just now took off my caller ID - holds about 20 incoming.

You can spend your life trying to pick up every ant on an ant-hill.  Get my point?

@fthunt  @Mersha 

Yep they spoof numbers, your caller block can show a local hospital number, local doctor's office, or a local business....the caller ID even shows and spoofs your own phone number....or they jut call the next number in sequence and keeps going....they can easily eat up space in a call blocker

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

I keep getting calls (I don't answer - they leave a message) that the tech service I use has gone out of business and I must call them back to get a refund.  Don't remember if they even used the name of the service - but I know Microsoft hasn't gone out of business.

Respected Contributor

The scammers are definitely active!  We've received the Microsoft call too.  Sad that some people fall for these scams.  I imagine the "Microsoft" call is a ransom ware scam.  They probably tell anyone who answers the phone that there is a problem that they can fix, you just have to give them access to your computer.  That's when the ransom ware is installed and you won't be able to use your computer until you pay whatever amount they state.  Never give anyone access to your computer unless you called your computer company for assistance.  

Honored Contributor

My MIL received that phone call. She called DH to ask about it. She said she figured it was a Scam but thought she would ask. She's 89.

One of my sisters also received the phone call so she sent me an email asking about it.

Why don't they call me so I can start laughing & hang up on them. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I keep getting texts telling me to sign into a bank that I don't even use.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

Blockers ?     Every scam caller uses a different number and location. Today it was Bakersfield CA - and Chicago - Wash State - Beaverton OR - ILL - New City ? - Philly Pa.  These I just now took off my caller ID - holds about 20 incoming.

You can spend your life trying to pick up every ant on an ant-hill.  Get my point?

My call  blocker automatically blocks out all toll free numbers, anonymous calls, out of area calls, as well as you can block entire area codes and individual phone #'s.

I usually only have to hit the block button on political and charity calls.

@KingstonsMom, Is yours the one sold here?

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

My call  blocker automatically blocks out all toll free numbers, anonymous calls, out of area calls, as well as you can block entire area codes and individual phone #'s.

I usually only have to hit the block button on political and charity calls.

@KingstonsMom, Is yours the one sold here?

@Wsmom 

No, I bought the call blocker made by Digitone, which rated the highest in Consumer Reports testing, from Amazon.

You can block over 2,000 numbers, beside the ones I mentioned above that are pre-blocked (you can unblock any of those if you choose to).

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 

My, almost 100% solution, was to purchase our AT&T 4 cordless phone set. If the number calling is not in "our phone book", it blocks the call. This has a 1,000 call block capability.

I used to love to get those calls. With my computer knowledge, and their little, I could play dump and string tjem along for as long as I was having fun, or they hung up.

Nice of you to post this for those not aware of these scams.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Re: A "SCAM" TELEPHONE CALL

[ Edited ]

I'm one of the UNLUCKY people who have had their land line number hijacked in the past year or two and scammers are probably using it all around the country like so many others.  The scammers actually called someone I knew from 40+ years ago in my own city with my number.  She saw my name & number appear when it rang on her Comcast caller ID on her TV, recognized the name and picked it up expecting it to be me!  She got a recording about lowering her interest rate & hung up.  She called me on that caller ID #, told me who she was & she knew me from years ago and told me she just got a call from me.  I told her no way because I had not touched phone for over an hour and she told me she knew it wasn't me because it was a scamming call!

I called the Federal Communication Commission to tell them my number was stolen & was being used for scamming & they said they cannot keep up with all the scams being done.  They did keep my number and made a notation for it that I had reported it as being used for scams so if people file complaints with the FCC they will know it is not really me.

And a few years ago I was talking with a cousin and she looked on her call waiting for the incoming call and it was my number while we were talking to each other!  She ignored the call and while we were talking about how weird that was and what had happened not even 2 minutes later I got an incoming call on call waiting & it was her number!  I called the FCC and reported that when it happened too.  I don't remember what they had told me then, but obviously the scammers just cannot be stopped.