Esteemed Contributor

Really do not care if a person needs a dog for physical, mental or emotional reasons, however I do believe that the dog should meet certain requirements to be allowed to accompany the person.  Historically service dogs have been very well trained and were "good citizens" while in public.  I would like to see all of these dogs go through a certification process.  Everyone needs to be kept safe, including the dogs.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I have known at least three people who go online and get the credentials so they can take their dog where they want to take them.  The dog is not trained and the owner does not have a disability.  The people I have talked to think this is a great idea and see nothing wrong with it.  I have three little dogs and in good conscience can not do this.  I think the way this would be stopped is if places became overrun with dogs and people without dogs would make a fuss or leave.  

Respected Contributor

Re: A "FAKE" SERVICE DOG?

[ Edited ]

Last week I had a similar situation.  I went grocery shopping at a Lidl store.  After a few aisles of shopping I could hear a dog  barking.  As I approached the end of the aisle I could see a woman who had a white poodle on a pink rhinestone studded lease.  The dog was on the leash and was barking like crazy at the customers trying to pass her in the aisle.  The dog would get really close to the people's legs and bark.  The woman seemed unphased by it and had her back turned looking at the items in the semi-open refrigerator case where the butter and yogurt, etc. were kept.  

As I approached the woman, I could see the dog had now positioned itself with back legs on the ground but looking and licking something in the open refrigerator case.  That was it for me!  I found a store employee who was stocking items on a shelf and asked why are dogs allowed in the store that are obviously not service dogs.  She agreed with me and asked if I wanted to speak with the store manager.  I told her yes.   After a few minutes the store manager came over to me and I told him about the dog barking and getting very close to all the people in the grocery aisle as they were trying to pass the woman and also about the dog licking something in the food case.  During the time I was telling him, you could actually hear the dog barking.  I told him it was unsanitary and it was obvious the animal was not a service dog.  He told me he could not do anything about and could not ask to see credentials/license  even though the store policy states only service dogs allowed.  I told him then, I presume if I brought in a pet monkey or pet snake then I would be treated the same?  I guess a customer would have to be bitten before some kind of action would be taken to enforce a no animals except service animals allowed.  I then told him to pick his customer; me or the woman with the dog barking.  Again he said, I can't do anything about her in the store with the animal.  So, I left my cart, which was about half full of groceries, with him and told him he would never see me or get my business at Lidl again and out the door I went.    

I just want to end this incident by saying, I am a total animal lover.  I have two cats at home and have owned dogs.  Love animals but they don't belong in a grocery store because you feel like taking them with you or you don't want to leave them at home.  In retrospect I should have called the board of health, filed a complaint and reported that the dog was licking something in the open food case.  I don't know if that would have made any difference with the store or its practice. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

@ciao_bella  I applaud you for what you did!!!

If anyone watches Dr. Jan Pol, DVM, you will hear him say many times how a dog's tongue is full of bacteria..........

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

Last week I had a similar situation.  I went grocery shopping at a Lidl store.  After a few aisles of shopping I could hear a dog  barking.  As I approached the end of the aisle I could see a woman who had a white poodle on a pink rhinestone studded lease.  The dog was on the leash and was barking like crazy at the customers trying to pass her in the aisle.  The dog would get really close to the people's legs and bark.  The woman seemed unphased by it and had her back turned looking at the items in the semi-open refrigerator case where the butter and yogurt, etc. were kept.  

As I approached the woman, I could see the dog had now positioned itself with back legs on the ground but looking and licking something in the open refrigerator case.  That was it for me!  I found a store employee who was stocking items on a shelf and asked why are dogs allowed in the store that are obviously not service dogs.  She agreed with me and asked if I wanted to speak with the store manager.  I told her yes.   After a few minutes the store manager came over to me and I told him about the dog barking and getting very close to all the people in the grocery aisle as they were trying to pass the woman and also about the dog licking something in the food case.  During the time I was telling him, you could actually hear the dog barking.  I told him it was unsanitary and it was obvious the animal was not a service dog.  He told me he could not do anything about and could not ask to see credentials/license  even though the store policy states only service dogs allowed.  I told him then, I presume if I brought in a pet monkey or pet snake then I would be treated the same?  I guess a customer would have to be bitten before some kind of action would be taken to enforce a no animals except service animals allowed.  I then told him to pick his customer; me or the woman with the dog barking.  Again he said, I can't do anything about her in the store with the animal.  So, I left my cart, which was about half full of groceries, with him and told him he would never see me or get my business at Lidl again and out the door I went.    

I just want to end this situation by saying, I am a total animal lover.  I have two cats at home and have owned dogs.  Love animals but they don't belong in a grocery store because you feel like taking them with you or you don't want to leave them at home.  In retrospect I should have called the board of health, filed a complaint and reported that the dog was licking something in the open food case.  I don't know if that would have made any difference with the store or its practice. 

It makes you wonder how many dog bite lawsuits against the business owner and dog owners before the rules are changed.

@ciao_bella my husband is afraid of dogs and would have done the same thing you did.  As a kid he was bitten in the face by a dog he had been around many times.

Honored Contributor

I also believe that service dogs' vests are red although I could be wrong on this. RED is the only color of vests that I've ever seen dogs wear - even puppies in training. I've seen puppies in training and their vests were RED too. Not sure about this one, it may have been a faux vest.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@just bee   "Now we live in fear that some dog is going to attack him when we're out."

If your dog is leashed, should be no problem protecting your dog.  Just walk out of the way of the other dog.

You should carry "pepper spray" if you are concerned about another dog attacking your dog.

Leashing law in my State.  I never leave my house w/o my pepper spray. 

I have a Chi mix.  Chi's are very protective of their owners.  When we go on walks (always leashed), most times we come into contact w/large dogs on long leashes.  Most want to play.  My dog does not.  If she starts growling, I short leash her & move far away from the "playful" dog. 

If the other dog starts barking, I walk as far away as I can w/pepper spray in hand.

@Mz iMac 

In the past few weeks, our dog has been attacked by an English Bulldog and Boston Terrier who were running loose, a Doberman whose owner dropped its leash and an unleashed pit bull.

The owners did nothing to get their dogs under control.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

I know two people that use fake service dog vests to get FREE pet stays  at dog friendly Motels. These dogs are Mastiffs no less and very large dogs.

I met someone at the dog park who has a Labrador and lives in a Condo. No large dogs allowed.  I asked her how she could have such a large dog there?  She said her Doctor signed off for her as a Service Dog  because she is diabetic and had stints in her heart. She works full time as an Optician.  Kind of stretching the Service Dog requirement in my opinion?

Honored Contributor

Re: A "FAKE" SERVICE DOG?

[ Edited ]

The only "service" dog I ever saw that did not interact with any living thing but the owner was a Police Dog.  The dog might have been invisible.  I saw it in the downtown area filled with mobs of people.  Dog did not blink at any other dog that was there. Never left the side of the police man and did what ever the police ordered him to do. (sit up, walk, lie down) never even heard a peep out of it. 

Interesting side note.  Canine dogs respond to words in German or Dutch (not English)  Because many of these doge as pups come from Germany, they already know certain commands in German.  So Police officers often have to learn to say German commands words to the dogs.  Sitz instead if sit, etc.  

From seeing various shows, "service dogs" are now a grey area.  Many folks who for various reasons, can't be apart from their pet will declare it a service dog. 

Respected Contributor

It could have been a service dog in training, but they're usually younger dogs.  I used to work with a guy who trained service dogs.  He would bring them to work with him and I would see them.  The dog wanted to interact with people around but the trainer didn't want him to do that.  I felt sorry for the dog.  It was usually a lab or a golden retriever.