Trusted Contributor

Re: A question regarding Ca. fires

@bikerbabe

Wow! This link is so valuable. Thank you! I will be reposting it and sharing it far and wide.
♥️♥️♥️
Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday, a newscaster said that Pacific Gas & Electric is NOT responsible for the fires. Ex-Governor Jerry Brown decided we didn't need to have those power lines hidden in the ground --- between the very dry conditions, Sana Ana Winds, low humidity ----- California is all ablaze. Politicians like to blame others for their stupidity.

Trusted Contributor

@kivah

I thought underground power lines would be a fantastic solution, but the PG&E website says they will cost $3 million a mile to install and right now, the utility can barely pay its employees.

One problem might be our earthquakes, because fissures and cracks in the Earth from earthquakes could presumably affect underground lines? (Just guessing, don't know for sure!)

Are there other areas of the country that have underground electrical lines? Aren't cable TV lines underground?
Honored Contributor

I also think due to social media, we hear more about it when these fires occur. In the past I am sure they were happening but the general public across the country didn’t hear as much about it.
Regular Contributor

This is not climate change or global warming. This is because the leadership of Calif refuses to maintain the forests and underbrush. They would rather protect some insects than the people of Calif. 

I am from Calif and I remember on my 16th birthday in 1976 a huge fire that was more interesting than my birthday. I lived there still in the late '80s when a fire was coming fast in our direction. Packed up the car etc...

I have watched them almost yearly like a new season be in my hometown. 

To give you an idea yesterday the fire near Brentwood was started by a tree branch that fell on a power line. Easy to have trimmed away.  

The dangerous Santa Ana winds have always been there. BTW, I am almost 60.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not getting into the debates, but found it interesting that GOATS had a part in helping prevent the destruction of the Reagan Library.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/goats-help-save-reagan-library-from-destruction-as-california-wild...

(Saw ex-Governor Arnold Schwarzenneger on Kimmel talking about how AS had to evacuate his home with his miniature pony.  Think he might be trading it in on goats??)

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

To All. Before you post misinformation be advised there is a website dedicated to checking whether something is true or not.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/jerry-brown-veto-wildfire-bill/
Esteemed Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@SleepyTime. Yeah. Resources used to go around clipping random tree branches!!! Lol
Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

Not getting into the debates, but found it interesting that GOATS had a part in helping prevent the destruction of the Reagan Library.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/goats-help-save-reagan-library-from-destruction-as-california-wild...

(Saw ex-Governor Arnold Schwarzenneger on Kimmel talking about how AS had to evacuate his home with his miniature pony.  Think he might be trading it in on goats??)

I suspect you'll find that the lack of wildlife plays a huge role in the current fire scene. Wildlife tends to migrate to where the food (lush green growth) is. If there are herds of elk, bison, deer chomping down the fresh green growth and continuing to nibble on it as it dries out, there's less brush to get involved in fires. As we take over former wildlands, we drive away the wildlife and disrupt their migratory patterns. When the wildlife isn't there to eat the lush green growth, it dies, dries up and becomes tinder. It then can accumulate over the years until a huge problem exists.

California's weather is ideally suited for wildfires. You get quite a few months of good rain, nice temps, and essentially perfect growing conditions. Then a long dry summer where all of that growth dries out and becomes tinder creating a fire season that will last into December when the winter rains start all over again. 

When you look at relatively untouched areas, you find huge migrations (wildebeest being one example along with zebras, elephants, and others) of herbivores moving to where the growth is fresh and lush. California still has that fresh, lush growth, but far fewer herbivores eating it, which allows more and more tinder to build up until a spark comes along and you've got a big fire.

If you go back to the 1600's you'd likely find millions of bison chomping away on that lush green growth and enjoying the bounty it offered during the wet/rainy season then moving on when things started to dry out. I'd dare say it's been a while now since millions of bison have roamed California. 

It's hard to have any natural herbivores just turned out loose to graze on the bounty due to the near-certainty of them getting hit by vehicles. During the rainy season California would make great pasture land for cattle, but fencing them in and containing them, then moving them to greener pastures or feeding them during the dry months would make it financially troublesome.

Goats can save the day, but how do you confine them, control them, and keep them safe to do their job, then care for them during the dry season?

I strongly suspect much of California's fire issues are less climate-related and more wildlife, or lack thereof, related. Rainy seasons and dry seasons aren't unique to California. Wherever they happen you tend to get huge migrations of herbivores coming in to feed on that lush green growth. The more populated portions of California no longer really allow for those mass migrations, so the lush green growth goes largely uneaten, dries out and builds up until a source of ignition comes along to light it up.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!