Esteemed Contributor

Re: A question for Comcast customers

@sfnative wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

This is a link to Comcast cables boxes. You maybe able to find a user manual for your set top box.

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/cable-box-user-manuals

You may want to post your problem on this Comcast TV forum.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/tvcomcast

@Nuttmeg

Wow, Nutmeg, thanks so much.  We haven't had a minue to rub two sticks together, except when I'm on here (bad on me).  Still unpacking, etc., so this information is very, very welcome.  Thanks, again.

Enjoy your new place.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have Comcast but I have TWC and we also have the program guide remote where you can press the guide button and it will pop up on the screen.

There is a way you can change the  background colors on the Time Warner Cable guide. I will tell you how I do it on mine because maybe it is not all that different on the Comcast remote. Our remote has a button on the upper left that says "Settings". When I press that button I get the list of settings show up on my TV screen. THere are 5 options on it and they are Devices, Audio/Sap, Language, Closed Captioning and Caller ID. When I go to Devices it has options including Audio Volume Control., Language, etc... but one option is TV borders and you can change the color and size of the guide wiith that.

I realize we have different companies but many times the remotes are fairly similar or at least similar enough that you could figure it out from there.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

Good information here!

👍

@sfnative, Enjoy your new home!

Moving is such a big hassle.  Hope

you get settled in soon!

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Esteemed Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I don't have Comcast but I have TWC and we also have the program guide remote where you can press the guide button and it will pop up on the screen.

There is a way you can change the  background colors on the Time Warner Cable guide. I will tell you how I do it on mine because maybe it is not all that different on the Comcast remote. Our remote has a button on the upper left that says "Settings". When I press that button I get the list of settings show up on my TV screen. THere are 5 options on it and they are Devices, Audio/Sap, Language, Closed Captioning and Caller ID. When I go to Devices it has options including Audio Volume Control., Language, etc... but one option is TV borders and you can change the color and size of the guide wiith that.

I realize we have different companies but many times the remotes are fairly similar or at least similar enough that you could figure it out from there.

@Irshgrl31201

Great advice!  I've taken a look at our remote and we do not have a Settings button.  We do have Help and Setup.  Once my husband gets his computer station set up with 2 printers, scanner, 2 screens, 2 towers, external hard drive and who knows what else today, I'm going to ask him to fiddle with these two buttons to try to affect background and print color changes.  After reading what you wrote, I'm a bit hopeful that we can come up with a solution.  Thanks so much!

Regular Contributor

@Gemspirit wrote:

I thought it was just me with bad eyes and a small TV! My husband dominates the big TV downstairs but our taste in programming is vastly different. So I've been sent to my room! 

The new X-1 platform comes with the black remote. I don't like the color for the kyron easy to read at all! I end up keeping my iPad close by and if it's something really important I look on there. I love how we can record multiple programs at the same time.  But they need to make the descriptions and other info easier to read!

@Gemspirit

Gemspirit,

It took me a while due to laptop issues and QVC login issues (not resolved,) so that I could touch base with you.  Wanted you to know that I'm so glad you mentioned keeping your iPad close so you could reference programming on it.

To that end, I found what is arguably the best thing since peanut butter.  I have a Kindle Fire (dh has a tablet), so I went looking for a television guide app for this Kindle of mine.  Found "TV Listngs."  It's a small app in size and looks like an old fashioned TV, blue around the edges, white screen with a smiley face in the middle.  This thing rocks!!!  I love it and, like you, now keep my Kindle Fire close and never use the idiot Comcast guide any longer - the one I couldn't read anyway.

Thanks oodles!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

We moved 8 days ago so had to have our Comcast hooked up in our new place.  This included turning in our silver remote for a new black one.

Having this new black remote means that we've been upgraded to Comcast's newly configured "program guide" which you can reference on-screen as previously.  I find this new configuration difficult to read in the extreme, as the background is black, the program one scrolls to is blue and the font is really small.  Additionally, I cannot read the program summary any longer - my eyes aren't THAT bad.  And, we've lost the ability to continue to watch the program we've tuned into in the upper right hand corner: that window is now gone.

The old configuration was just great!  I don't understand why they've done this.

Do all of you Comcast customers also have black program guides with blue letters and white letters in very small font?  Just curious as to whether this is a regional thing or not.  (We're Pacific Northwest.)

Thanks in advance.

We're in NJ and just moved in April, so we have all the new X1 equipment which we did not ask for, but they installed.  There are things I like about it and things I don't.  Like QVC there are more steps to doing things than the old format.  Why do they do that?

And you're also right about the screens, they are all too dark and the lettering too small.  We are getting used to the menu, but ON DEMAND is a mess compared to how it used to be set up.  Can't find anything easily.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Frequent Contributor

Another thing I don't like, is that you can't put a reminder on when you want to remember that something is coming up you want to watch.

Call Customer Service!!!! That is what they are there for. I used to work for the cable company here  in the Pacific Northwest.....CALL THEM!

Respected Contributor

We just got X1 and hooked it up Saturday. There are things I like and dislike about it. I'm sure the more we use it the easier it will become.

I do agree the guide is hard to read - and as of right now there's no way to make it bigger. You can change the "darkness" of the black background but it doesn't really make it easier to read.

My big complaint is the box is noisy! It sounds like a harddrive running all the time and I can hear the sound across the room. I googled this issue and apparently there are many complaints about the box noise and not much that can be done. People have switched their boxes only to have another noisy one.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Respected Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

We moved 8 days ago so had to have our Comcast hooked up in our new place.  This included turning in our silver remote for a new black one.

Having this new black remote means that we've been upgraded to Comcast's newly configured "program guide" which you can reference on-screen as previously.  I find this new configuration difficult to read in the extreme, as the background is black, the program one scrolls to is blue and the font is really small.  Additionally, I cannot read the program summary any longer - my eyes aren't THAT bad.  And, we've lost the ability to continue to watch the program we've tuned into in the upper right hand corner: that window is now gone.

The old configuration was just great!  I don't understand why they've done this.

Do all of you Comcast customers also have black program guides with blue letters and white letters in very small font?  Just curious as to whether this is a regional thing or not.  (We're Pacific Northwest.)

Thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------

@sfnative

If you click on the "b" ( a, b, c, d) button on your remote, the program you're watching will appear in the bottom right of your screen. It's small, but at least you'll be able to see it.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum