Regular Contributor

Re: A question about "notifications"

@Irshgrl31201wrote:

Ok, are you ladies saying that you get notifications even if the @ isn't used before your name?

No, the @ must be beside your nickname.    Only recently, when people quote you, you are NOW automatically notified (before the user had to type in the @(nick-name) if quoting a previous poster.   I think it's an improvement over the old "quoting" system (now you know that someone either liked your statement, or is ready to jump down your throat. ;-)  @kachina1624

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3  I noticed it repeating notifications and sometimes just adding another name to it.  I have noticed this for quite some time now.   Nothing is perfect so I ignore it.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@giraffe77wrote:

@Irshgrl31201wrote:

@Ok, are you ladies saying that you get notifications even if the @ isn't used before your name?

@No, the @ must be beside your nickname.@    Only recently, when people quote you, you are NOW automatically notified (before the user had to type in the @(nick-name) if quoting a previous poster.   I think it's an improvement over the old "quoting" system (now you know that someone either liked your statement, or is ready to jump down your throat. ;-)  @kachina1624

Thank you @giraffe77

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

No big deal, but apparently to someone it is!!!! Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1wrote:

@suzyQ3  I noticed it repeating notifications and sometimes just adding another name to it.  I have noticed this for quite some time now.   Nothing is perfect so I ignore it.

@Katcat1, what I am describing is a new feature (or hopefully, a glitch). You don't realize that it is not a normal notification until you open it. For those of us who usually quote, it can be rather annoying. Earthshattering? Of course not. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

One of these days, Q will have their site straightened out and everything will work as it should at the same time.....

When pigs fly! 🐷

Esteemed Contributor

Please bear with me here; I don't tap the little red notification square, except occasionally by accident. So I have seen the amber highlighted notifications, but I'm not up to speed on exactly how it's supposed to work.

Are you saying If go to compose a post, hit the "Quote", then reply without activating the poster's name with the @ symbol, the poster will STILL get a notification?

Just because I hit the "Quote"??

Sometimes I'll edit a quote down to just show the small section that prompted my reply.

Trusted Contributor

@x Hedgewrote:

Please bear with me here; I don't tap the little red notification square, except occasionally by accident. So I have seen the amber highlighted notifications, but I'm not up to speed on exactly how it's supposed to work.

@Are you saying If go to compose a post, hit the "Quote", then reply without activating the poster's name with the @ symbol, the poster will STILL get a notification?

Just because I hit the "Quote"??

Sometimes I'll edit a quote down to just show the small section that prompted my reply.

Yes, you are correct.  I also want to say that I personally don't edit someones quote but will highlight the section or sections that I am referring to when I reply.

Editing someone elses post can lead to all kinds of problems such as you have now changed the tone and made everything out of context because you did not include everything that person said.  Just saying this can happen, I've seen it before.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank You @puttypiesmom,

I don't mean the kind of editing that changes the writer's intent, or the tone of the piece.

I'm taking about replying to a post that is confusingly long with quotes upon quotes upon quotes, or something that addresses multiple subjects, sometimes all within one big block of print, sans benefit of paragraphs.