Super Contributor

Re: A plea for all the servers out there

@kaydee50 wrote:

I wonder what all the people who were servers before the pandemic are doing now???

I wonder that all the time in every occupation.  How do they get by not working?

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I wonder what all the people who were servers before the pandemic are doing now???

Found better-paying jobs in different industries? 

Honored Contributor

Our local KFC has a company printed sign at the drive thru window encouraging kindness to their employees.  

I've witnessed rudeness towards store or restaurant employees before, but still shake my head at the thought any adult needs a visual suggestion/reminder to be kind to others!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BlueFinch wrote:

Anytime you work serving the public, you will have those who will treat you horribly. And, tough times will only bring out the worst in people. 

I saw this level of disrespect increasing even before I retired, with hospital staff being cursed, verbally threatened, and on occasion, physically attacked. It was becoming increasingly dangerous.

Many seem to have loose wires right now. They're easily provoked. I don't see how this can change.

I just will not contribute to it. It would take a lot for me to be rude to a restaurant server. Sometimes just acknowledging that you see how hard they're working, will lift the mood between server and customer.

Sadly a lot of customers who complain the most, never leave tips, or offer a kind word, even when receiving great service.  I've ditched friendships when seeing a couple of people doing this. 

@BlueFinch 

There was one time we were at an eatery which was very busy and I paid the waitress a compliment and told her I appreciated how hard she was working --- she said "you dont know how much I needed to hear that".....and Im also a generous tipper when I get good service

Of course there's the other side of that too--- a few of us went after work to celebrate a co-workers birthday---about 6 of us---and the first thing out of the waitresses mouth to make sure we all heard..."I just HATE to handle large groups!"(no she wasnt joking)....🙄..I wanted to say so bad---Here's an idea---maybe another career choice---- especially these days in our city----- there's help wanted signs for every imaginable kind of job.....SMH!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Here we go again with the no one is working because they're not serving you. Like it says you can always fill out an application.

They found better higher paying jobs in which the owners aren't paying them carp while reaping the rewards. There's a very successful fish restaurant where I live, the owner bought an old building a few doors down. It's being renovated into another restaurant with apartments on the other floors. Meanwhile I know what the staff makes in that fish restaurant.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@coffeenut : There is also a sign sorta like those at our doctors office.

Honored Contributor

Many of the servers also went back to school/college so hang in there while the businesses staff back up. 

Not that anyone should ever be rude no matter what the situation. There is always saying nothing or no thank you and choosing another business to patronize. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt  The waitress who made the remark about large groups should have never said that. Having worked has hostess/dining room manager  for 8 years I can say this,

Every Christmas we would have a group of women from the town, 15 to 18 people. Without fail it was separate checks. Like clockwork they all ordered the same thing, a chicken dish that was $7.99 (this was 1980s) and coffee or tea $.50.   No one got booze, appetizers, or dessert.  The checks were always the same amount. So the server had to juggle 15/18 separate checks.

By the same token, a table of a lot of men said one check. They looked at the check and threw money in for their share. They tipped well too. 

If some get extras, yes, go separate checks.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There will always be those people who think the whole world revolves around them....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always believed that at some point in a persons life, you need to wait a few tables. It's eye-opening.

I also beileve the customer is not always right and owners need to back their employees on that one. The rude people in life today need to be called out.and not get away with it.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield