Honored Contributor

A plea for all the servers out there

We live near a folksy small town and our cottage is near another folksy small town.  One restaurant owner happened to be on the radio last week and begged for courtesy to her wait staff.  They are just plain short of employees, all of them around here, and it is not the servers' fault.  They are run ragged as it is and rude customers certainly don't help the situation.  One owner has placed a note under the glass on each table:  "If you are tired of waiting for your meal, you are welcome to fill out an application,"  

Honored Contributor

Re: A plea for all the servers out there

Same here, we were at a small family owned restaurant Friday that was full. They had 2 waitresses and they were actually running as they took orders and delivered meals. Sadly the food and service were not good, but we totally understood. I fear this situation may not improve.

Honored Contributor

You aren't talking about Charlevoix, MI are you? A restaurant in my town had their experience hit the national news. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

My husband and I actually had a different type of experience yesterday.  We went to a diner for an early dinner, around 4 (we haven't eaten all day).  This diner is 24/7, extremely popular is even an understatement.  Always very busy.  We've been going her for a couple of years now and, for the most part, the same people are always there.  There is the family who runs it.  Momma is always there and she isn't just walking around, she's picking up plates, etc.  The waitors and the waitresses are also long timers.  And there's A LOT of them.  My husband said that so many other places have staff shortages and this place doesn't seem to.  However, our waitress yesterday seemed to be in a bad mood or just having a bad day.  Wasn't very friendly, very short and didn't even crack a smile.  

Honored Contributor

If the servers were paid more, there might not be a shortage.  Yes, I know it would drive up the cost of our meals, so we should just keep our mouths shut and not complain about the service.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I wonder what all the people who were servers before the pandemic are doing now???

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

If the servers were paid more, there might not be a shortage.  Yes, I know it would drive up the cost of our meals, so we should just keep our mouths shut and not complain about the service.  Smiley Sad

How about tipping them more? Small businesses like local restaurants are often run on a shoe-string, with thin profit margins. Inflation has aggravated the problem tremendously.  If owners could afford to pay their servers more, most of them would be happy to -- it helps them attract and keep good staff. A smile, a simple "please" and "thank-you," and more patience toward owners and servers alike are easy, much appreciated gestures -- they cost nothing yet have a big impact.

Respected Contributor

Anytime you work serving the public, you will have those who will treat you horribly. And, tough times will only bring out the worst in people. 

I saw this level of disrespect increasing even before I retired, with hospital staff being cursed, verbally threatened, and on occasion, physically attacked. It was becoming increasingly dangerous.

Many seem to have loose wires right now. They're easily provoked. I don't see how this can change.

I just will not contribute to it. It would take a lot for me to be rude to a restaurant server. Sometimes just acknowledging that you see how hard they're working, will lift the mood between server and customer.

Sadly a lot of customers who complain the most, never leave tips, or offer a kind word, even when receiving great service.  I've ditched friendships when seeing a couple of people doing this. 

Trusted Contributor

It's just not at restaurants.   People are rude and impatient nowadays at almost all the establishments.  

Esteemed Contributor

My first job was waitress in my uncle's restaurant. Eight boothes and about 12 counter stools. I was the only waitress. It used to get very busy, but I could handle them all! (But maybe I would have been faster on roller skates.) I don't recall anyone ever being rude to me, or wondered where their meal was!

Then there was a formal very large dining room, but we rarely opened that up. Occasionally, it was used as overflow.

Yep! Happy times! I bought my first car before I was 16!

I could never be short or rude to a waitress!